Hawkeye 256 barrel screw info

Help Support Ruger Forum:

KWend54

Single-Sixer
Good Morning
…. I have tried reaching out to Ruger with no luck. I am trying to find out the thread size/screw size on the two screw holes (I am missing both) on a Ruger Hawkeye RH28. These are the two top screws on the barrel placed there for a scope mount.
Anyone know?
Thanks

hittman

Staff member
Welcome to the forum. (y)

Are they shown in your owners manual or a schematic?

Did you ask Ruger if you can buy the screws from them? IF they have them, I bet you'll get them for FREE.

KWend54

Single-Sixer
I talked to a lady in customer service and she kept asking for the model number. I repeated RH28 several times and she insisted that wasn't a relevant model number for any Rugers in her system! I explained that RH28 was the Ruger catalog number for this gun back in the 60's. She said she couldn't help me without a model number! I gave up because obviously, she had no clue.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Mabey Contender could help you. I don't think Ruger carries any parts for the Hawkeye any more. Your local gunsmith should be able to determine
what you need.
Best
Terry

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
All the "surplus" Hawkeyes and associated parts went into the smelter at Pinetree Casting, an involved employee told us.......another one of those dumbazz beancounter decisions..............BTW, THOSE "CORRECT" SCREWS HAD A SLIGHT "CAP"(MY TERM) ON THE SLOT END(OF COURSE) TO KEEP ANY DEBRIS OUT OF THE THREADED AREA.........HAVE NEVER FOUND ANY OF THEM, UNLESS WITH THE GUN OR IN THE BOX WHEN A SCOPE WAS MOUNTED..........

Last edited:
All the "surplus" Hawkeyes and associated parts went into the smelter at Pinetree Casting, an involved employee told us.......another one of those dumbazz beancounter decisions..............BTW, THOSE "CORRECT" SCREWS HAD A SLIGHT "CAP"(MY TERM) ON THE SLOT END(OF COURSE) TO KEEP ANY DEBRIS OUT OF THE THREADED AREA.........HAVE NEVER FOUND ANY OF THEM, UNLESS WITH THE GUN OR IN THE BOX WHEN A SCOPE WAS MOUNTED..........
Good point. They are a little more "special" than an everyday "setscrew".

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
BTW! HAPPY TO SEE THAT SN 19XX 256 HAWKEYE GO FOR 4K ON GB Y'DAY. MINTY AND BOXED! I'D SUGGEST THE STEEL EJECTOR HOUSING AND MICRO REAR SIGHTED EARLIER MODEL IS WORTH EVEN MORE. GLAD I HAVE EXTRAS HERE AND SOME ARE EVEN AVAILABLE!

KWend54

Single-Sixer
BTW! HAPPY TO SEE THAT SN 19XX 256 HAWKEYE GO FOR 4K ON GB Y'DAY. MINTY AND BOXED! I'D SUGGEST THE STEEL EJECTOR HOUSING AND MICRO REAR SIGHTED EARLIER MODEL IS WORTH EVEN MORE. GLAD I HAVE EXTRAS HERE AND SOME ARE EVEN AVAILABLE!
Thanks Hawkeye!!! I thought this one was correct. Does it have wrong ejector housing and rear sight?

yes, I believe those "capped" plug screws were or are called "positive stop" plug screws, that what we used...just 'looks' neater....the hole does NOT go through into the bore so no need for 'stop' screws just stop at the top of the hole, lock in place with a dab ( drop) of finger nail polish ( clear for you non fancy dressers);):cool::rolleyes:

KWend54

Single-Sixer
Dang …. Gunbroker just had another one popup!!! 1500 less than the one I got with missing plug screws! Couldn't resist!!!

Attachments

• 6786E995-D142-4802-93D2-C8C286C4B9B7.jpeg
    6786E995-D142-4802-93D2-C8C286C4B9B7.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 70