Having A Problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

trky chsr

Bearcat
I have an older 10/22 that I bought for my Archangel stock. I'm having a problem with "stovepipes" or FTE. At first I thought it may be the mag (Shooters ridge 50rd) and then maybe low-power ammo (Winchester) but now I have a couple of BC Steel lips and have been using higher power Federals and while better it's still a problem. This is my first 10/22 purchase so I'm not familiar with these firearms. When I rack the bolt it's very free for the length of a empty 22 then it seems to drag a bit. I took it apart as far as I could (I don't know how to remove the bolt handle to remove the bolt) and cleaned the heck out of it. It seems to drag on the trigger group housing but I'm not sure. Is this bit of drag normal? I know on other semis I've owned the bolt comes back freely against the spring. If you think this is the problem or you have another idea please provide a solution. TC

berettapistols

Blackhawk
I agree.... the bolt handle does not have to be removed to get the bolt out and to clean and lube everything really well... this may fix the problem... you probably need to wash the bolt itself really well to try and get all the gunk out of the extractor and firing pin part.... with all that said, you may need a new extractor.

The videos and online stuff will help you break the rifle down much better than I can explain... but you actually pull the bolt spring out and then the bolt will come out with a little finageling.

trky chsr

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies. I managed to remove the bolt and gave it a thorough cleaning. It does seem to slide better now. Once I get a chance to go out blasting again I'll know for sure. TC

Parson

Bearcat
Hi, new here, but have some experience with the 10/22. I used to do a lot of accurizing and reliability tuning on these amazing and fun rifles. I'll share a couple secrets learned over the years. Number 1: DONT try to sharpen the extractor hook by filing the inside of the hook. (the reason is, by doing so, you will widen the gap between the bolt face and the extractor hook. This dimension should be just enough to hold the rim of the cartridge tight against the bolt face) Remove the bolt and slip a live round up into place in the bolt face recess. If the cartridge rocks side to side because the gap is too wide, there is a good chance that the empty casing will be dislodged after extraction (and before ejection) and not clear the action causing a jam or stovepipe. Number 2: IF the gap is too wide, remove the extractor and place it in a vise with just the dog leg sticking up parallel to the top of vise. (and this is going to sound crazy) Heat the leg lightly with a torch and tap it ever so slightly, to narrow the distance between the face of the extractor and the inside tip of the dog leg, (a few thousands) with a small hammer. (this can be measured with your caliper) Re-install the extractor and if necessary, dress the inside of the dog leg to achieve perfect fit. The extractor should now hold a fired casing firmly in the bolt face and require a slight force to remove it. Be careful not to crack the dog leg. Less is more! Hope this helps!

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
berettapistols":2guwp1m3 said:
Sounds like you need to disassemble the rifle & clean the bolt, reciever & breachface..
Here's two videos that Ruger Offers that'll show you quicly how to dismantle the rifle & remove the bolt..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eobAjygRpIo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h0ijcHnhwk&NR=1
If you keep having FTE you may want to look into getting a Volqurtzen "Exact Edge" Extractor, These cost $10-$12.

I just put a Volquartsen exact edge extractor in my 2245 lst night. I bought this gun in September and have about 1000 rounds thru it. Here is a pic of the "non-exact" edge factory extractor I removed:
oldextractor.jpg

JBL13

Bearcat
berettapistols":2hd801pq said:
I just put a Volquartsen exact edge extractor in my 2245 lst night. I bought this gun in September and have about 1000 rounds thru it.

Is the extractor for the 22/45 the same one as for the 10/22? I'm trying to find one for my Mark II 22/45, but I'm not finding one that seems to be specific to the 22/45.

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
I have since found out (since I posted the picture) that the Ruger extractor is supposed to be rounded where it is. I still see lots of comments that the Volquartsen extractor cleared up extraction problems quite nicely (over on rimfirecentral)

they do advertise the same extractor for the 1022 and the pistols. However, with the MKII or MKIII you are supposed to keep the factory spring, where with the 1022 use use the one sent with the exact edge extractor.

https://www.volquartsen.com/products/16 ... -extractor