Having A Place To Reload Or Not

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Hunter
I too started with a Lee whack-a-mole for .38 Spl wadcutters in 1972. After popping off a few too many primers in my apartment, I went all out and bought the RCBS Jr. that I still use today. It's my only press and has filled my needs while helping me maintain my "minimalist" philosophy. It has accounted for loading at least 25 different calibers over the years and now resides in my 'workshop' that I call "Paradise".... p.s. that TV pictured in the background is a 13" COLOR Panasonic portable that my wife gave to one of her grandchildren (he returned it saying it was way too small)...it's been going strong about 20+ yrs longer than it's projected 'end of life'.

Cyrus

Single-Sixer
IMG_0887.jpeg
My entire kit fits in this box with room to spare. (Well ok, it's just the kit for my Martini .310 Cadet)
I load one piece of brass over and over again, deprime with a punch, prime with a hand primer (previously with the same method of a dowel and bench block) scoop and weigh 4.5 grain Universal and thumb seat RCBS 120 grain heeled bullet with Lee Liquid Alox.
IMG_0890.jpeg
I will further consolidate the kit once I make a scooper to replace the electronic scale. The gun shoots cloverleafs at 50 yards and will eventually get out to 300 yards.

WV460hunter

Single-Sixer
I can keep mine in a rolling toolbox or a desk drawer!!!
I have one of those and a portable scale absolutely love it . Sure loading is one round at a time but with the quick change die on top the new dies go in and out fast and the slowest part is adding the powder. I even use it to size all my Bullets that I cast . I am of the belief loading doesn't have to include a Dillon progressive press. And with my main focus being that of taking game for food . High volumes of ammo is not needed. I do 50 or 60 at a time. I also have a RCBS rock chucker and between the 2 it is easy to make a ample amount of rounds quickly enough for me.

OK, so where do you store the 5 gallon buckets of prepped brass and the 200# of powder, not to mention the several hundreds of pounds of bullets?
Or the reloading stuff when its not clamped to the kitchen table. Lol.

Some people legitimately don't have enough space to reload.

That is were they are going to have Americans put their stuff and someone else will move in your apartment/house ..IMHO
Some people have lived in their storage lockers. No it's not allowed, but it happens.

Some people set them up as man caves to watch big games, have poker night etc.

I don't think storing gun powder in one would be allowed though.

WV460hunter

Single-Sixer
Some people have lived in their storage lockers. No it's not allowed, but it happens.

I think they would be hot unless you could get some kinda A/C controlled unit. But eventually they gotta put all the illegal aliens somewhere. Theu will have our homes and apartments while we are living in storage units like concentration camps all over again. Not trying to get political at all just that it's happening already. But powder would be a no no I would think if they knew about it .

Hankus

Single-Sixer

Two things- an old acquaintance of mine was homeless as a teen in LA in the early 80s and lived in a storage unit there for a while… he's now an accomplished Science Fiction writer, and his services as a freelance database designer and administrator are still much in demand out there.

When I was stationed stateside in the Army we were SUPPOSED to check our personal weapons in with the Arms Room and check them out when we wanted to go to the range or go hunting… I found it much more convenient to keep my weapons in a steel gun cabinet and the ammunition in ammo cans at a storage unit nearby off base … 😉

I got a call to a large storage facility. They had a gas odor. Big emergency I had to race over.

I walked in and said thats not natural gas its gasoline. They told me that was not possible because it was against the rules to store anything with gasoline in it.

I isolated the smell to one of 4 units. Then they said oh we can't open them that's against the rules.

I guess it was only an emergency if it involved me.

I think they would be hot unless you could get some kinda A/C controlled unit. But eventually they gotta put all the illegal aliens somewhere. Theu will have our homes and apartments while we are living in storage units like concentration camps all over again. Not trying to get political at all just that it's happening already. But powder would be a no no I would think if they knew about it .
They advertise climate controlled ones. At least the warehouse ones. Some are barely the size of a closet.

I doubt the individual garage bays are climate controlled though.

gunzo

Buckeye
If I wanted to, or really felt the need, I could keep sufficient loading gear/supplies behind the seat of my truck & could load off the back bumper from a lawn chair or a 5 gal. bucket to sit on. Providing appropriate weather. I was doing little more that this in a couple closets I've loaded in. Size & bell mouth in the cold room, gather up Lee priming tool, brass & head to the living room & some heat.
I guess I felt I didn't have much choice if I wanted to shoot much. Young, starting a family, going through apprenticeship, read low pay, etc. Loading, discovering Unique powder & locally cast bulk bullets set me free. Where I loaded wasn't a big concern at the time, just so I could.

Last edited:
I have one of those and a portable scale absolutely love it . Sure loading is one round at a time but with the quick change die on top the new dies go in and out fast and the slowest part is adding the powder. I even use it to size all my Bullets that I cast . I am of the belief loading doesn't have to include a Dillon progressive press. And with my main focus being that of taking game for food . High volumes of ammo is not needed. I do 50 or 60 at a time. I also have a RCBS rock chucker and between the 2 it is easy to make a ample amount of rounds quickly enough for me.
I just process my brass from one side to the other. Size deprime, prime, charge, seat, crimp. I use a Lee Perfect powder measure on a little plywood base for charging. It's very precise. I have an autodisc but don't like how it meters.

My first press was one of those Lyman kits that could be had fairly inexpensively. I bought one set of dies and a shell plate for .45 acp. I ended up loading all of my pistol calibers on that for years (still use it for stuff I don't do in any volume). I can't say I learned on it as I learned on my dad's stuff. But my kids did. It's a nice balance between the tediousness of a single stage press and my Dillion. All three types of presses have a space on my bench along with a shotshell loader.

When I look at my shelves I'm amazed at the amount of stuff I've accumulated over the years. When dad passed I did get a large influx but some of that stuff went to my kids.

Actnbill

Single-Sixer
In my first house I had my Dillon and Lyman press set up under the stairs in the basement.....
That was the only place I had to myself away from 3 toddlers ( and the boss )
I wired up a light and an outlet and made a few narrow shelves... it wasn't much....but it was mine !!!