Have you MKIII owners seen these? (pic)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Smitty908

Bearcat
Hey folks,

Just in case anyone one is interested, there is a guy over at Rimfire Central who makes these 'filler peices' for the loaded chamber indicator that everyone hates so much.

Just pop out the pin that holds it in, and set this thing in, and put the allen screw through it.

It does not move, it just fills in the gap left by the LCI.

If you really look for it, you can tell it's there, but the fit is so tight, and finish so close, that most wont notice.

He has blued and stainless, very reasonably priced too.

Member's name is 'bpatza'

DSC04345-1.jpg

DSC04346-1.jpg

-Tim S.

OmegaMan

Bearcat
blume357":1ucrvyrw said:
It does look nice and I'm impressed...how much does a stainless steel one cost? (first question)

second question is why take the loaded chamber indicator off in the first place?

Blume:

1.) Well, especially when you have a stainless Mark III, the LCI is grey and FUGLY! The most expensive one (bead blasted I think) costs $20.00.

2.) The LCI only serves to remind idiots that yeah, there's a live round in there. Anyone who grew up with firearms automatically assumes that all of their weapons are loaded and checks them before passing them around. This is just a useless, idiot indicator. Also, it can effect how certain ammo feeds, so a lot of people (myself included) are getting rid of them.

I just got my first Mark III, so I'm getting this as well as some other internal Clark & Volquartsen goodies.

- OmegaMan

bullockdgmanor

Bearcat
I agree with Omega's #2... I've had some minor problems with FTF and FTE in my new Mark III, so I removed the LCI (everything works fine without it), and put in a Volquartsen extractor...and now (about 100 rounds so far) it seems all better!

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
blume357":3pe4qqzl said:
It does look nice and I'm impressed...how much does a stainless steel one cost? (first question)

second question is why take the loaded chamber indicator off in the first place?

I didn't and most likely won't. I bought my pistol in September. Did the hammer bushing, VQ sear, extractor, trigger. Works great. I keep it clean. No problems. Why worry?

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Anyone ever had a machinist/gunsmith weld up that slot. I was seriously considering getting a stainless MKIII and using stainless rod weld up the slot then file it back down smooth and polish. Anyone done that or heard of it done?

Richbaker

Blackhawk
protoolman":29lnvt5b said:
Anyone ever had a machinist/gunsmith weld up that slot. I was seriously considering getting a stainless MKIII and using stainless rod weld up the slot then file it back down smooth and polish. Anyone done that or heard of it done?

I wouldn't, probably ruin the heat-treatment....

Gunbunny

Bearcat
blume357":15b7p47x said:

1. About $20.
2. Stopped my stovepipe problem. I was having 1 every magazine or so, regardless of how clean and lubed the LCI was.

2 (als) I know when there's a round in the chamber.

donw

Bearcat
in the hi desert of southern california between te
it would be a good idea to check state law about LCI's before removing.

if there is law it must have one, you could be in for some legal problems if it has been found to have been defeated.

if there is injury, death or damage because someone "didn't know it was loaded", you could be held liable for removing a safety device and contributing to that injury, death or damage.

sure..."idiots" may, or may not, know if their firearm is loaded, and, they SHOULD KNOW if it's loaded. but a more important issue is: can you tell if it loaded just by looking at it if there is no LCI?

i agree with the LCI...you may look at another person's firearm and tell whether it's loaded or not...

none of my firearms has an LCI as i haven't bought any for a while but i certainly have no objections to an LCI

like it or not, it IS a safety feature...it could save a life.

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
As I indicated in my 1st post, I left mine in. No stovepipe problems for me. Runs like a Timex, takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'

When the MK3s were new, a friend and I went to the range and fired off quite a few rounds from our rimfires. His mk3 was sitting on the pAdded bench next to my MK2, when he picked up my mk2, the mk3 slid off the bench and landed on it's side, the impact against the LCI caused the gun to disharge, thankfully no-one was injured or killed. But that's a good reason to take it out.

Oddly enough my two carry pistols have loaded chamber indicators and I really like them and think they are a great idea....

now as for my MKIII, I don't think I've ever given the thing a second glance, so it is pretty useless. Every time I fire the pistol I shoot and count 10 times. Since it is solely a target gun the technic for using it is pretty simple and 'safe'.

I'd be tempted to get one and put it on mine just to eliminate any potential future problem. Do I have to sign up for rimfire central to contact the guy that sells these?

CraigC

Hawkeye
I think I need one for my 22/45. Loaded chamber indicators are another facet of the nanny state. A stupid and unnecessary complication intended to save the idiots from themselves.

If welding up the topstrap on a Super Blackhawk or Vaquero is not a problem, then welding up the slot in the frame of a MKIII shouldn't be.

Worrying about a lawsuit because you removed a loaded chamber indicator is about like worrying about getting hit by a cow falling out of the sky. Sure, it could happen and I could win the PowerBall this weekend.

reakin

Single-Sixer
DA_TriggR4Ruger":3g7w5l1t said:
When the MK3s were new, a friend and I went to the range and fired off quite a few rounds from our rimfires. His mk3 was sitting on the pAdded bench next to my MK2, when he picked up my mk2, the mk3 slid off the bench and landed on it's side, the impact against the LCI caused the gun to disharge, thankfully no-one was injured or killed. But that's a good reason to take it out.

They have been re-designed since then.

reakin

Beach1

Bearcat
I have a Blued MKIII . I had alot of stove pipe issues with mine from day one , I took my LCI out but still had problems , finally sent it to Ruger and they took care of it. I shot about 80rds of different ammo no stove pipes . They replaced the extractor and paid shipping both ways. I removed the LCI again now that it's back from Ruger , don't see how it would help anything laying against the rim of a rim fire round .

wes-ki-mo

Bearcat
I had not heard of problems caused by the loaded chamber indicator until reading this thread. Thanks for the alert. Will shoot my MKIII more often to see if I have the same results. About loaded indicators, when I got my forst Walther PPK that little pin sticking out was most appreciated. For the first time one could see, externally, that a round was chambered without having to move the slide. Most carry guns today have some form of the same thing. As I say this, I too question its use on a target gun as I count the rounds as well. Thanks for the heads up on possible jams/extraction problems. WES-KI-MO