Have we all forgotten the ruger P345?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

loaded round

Hunter
The P345 has been of my favorite Ruger pistols for more than several years now and own two. Excellent personal protection and house guns, once that hated magazine safety is removed to keep this firearm from malfunctiong...click, no bang. Any thought or comments guys?

hittman

Staff member
I wonder if their "click / no bang" reputation hurt their value and demand.
It surely didnt help when they were discontinued.

The talk from folks in my area was that unless you bought one brand new, you'd never trust it as a carry or home defense gun.

Looks like there are 4 now on Gun Broker and they can be had for less than $500.00 each.

Mike J

Hunter
I remember running across one in a gun shop once about 14 or 15 years ago. At the time I was carrying a P94. I really liked the feel of the P-345 (the way it fit my hand). I was interested until I researched it & read about the "click no bang". I decided to pass. I know I could have removed the magazine disconnect but I didn't want to remove a "safety device" from a carry pistol.

loaded round

Hunter
BP Jack: The answer is no. A friend of mine asked that same question to Ruger Customer Service some years back and their answer was that they would not modify a firearm.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Honestly, I think the biggest problem with the 345 was that it was not a 1911. When it came out, the market for 1911's was red hot. Most folks who wanted a .45 that was not a 1911 wanted it to be a double stack. In the end, I just don't think that many buyers wanted a non-1911 .45 with the same capacity. When the hicap mag ban expired in 2004, the 9mm became sexy again which further ate into possible sales.

KIR

Sparks, NV
WOW, never thought I would see a discussion of the P345 again. Glad to see there are a couple of folks out there that remember it. Back in 2006 I was lookin' for an HD firearm. When I was in the AF, I used to carry a 1911. Naturally that was the first one I looked at, but getting a bit older it was a little heavy for me to carry. I also never liked the back strap safety. Just about that time I read about the P345. It was lighter, smaller and had a great grip for my hand. I even read that it was a good gun for women. The one upgrade I did, was to put on some Mepro self illuminating larger dots sights which worked great. Although I should have used a smaller caliber for qualifying for a CCW permit, when it came time for the shooting phase, my P345 was accurate enough for me to pass. I never used it for closed carry, but I could have. As I said that it was a good gun for women, my wife asked to come along for the ride when I went shooting in the desert. After I fired all but one magazine's worth of ammo, I asked my wife if she would like to try it out. She agreed and I have a picture of her with a big smile on her face pointing at some of the holes in her target. She said the gun felt pretty good in her hand and on the way home, she was very happy and even felt down right giddy. This was at a time when she had cancer. She passed a year and a half later, but I know it was a happy time for her. I have taken out my P345 out shooting several times and even my granddaughter admitted she liked it. The P345 has been described as a "tank" and I agree. Mine will be around a long time to come, for my son(s) to enjoy.

loaded round

Hunter
Kir:
Have you removed your magazine safety parts yet? You should to prevent that posible ''click, no bang" situation. Very easy, and perfectly safe to do so.
Loadedround

I really like my P345. It goes to the range with me all the time. It stays in the nightstand drawer. I had an issue with it right after I bought it (years ago). Sent it to Ruger and they fixed the problem and put in a new barrel. A couple thousand rounds through it with no problems.

Ohio! Way too freakin' close to the city!
Pulled my P345 out and took it to the range last weekend with my SIL! Still shoots great and is pretty accurate and RELIABLE!

I used to own a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II and could never get it to the point where I trusted it to carry! I sent it back to Yonkers once and they made it more reliable but not totally! I messed with it for a few years...... it did not like brass cased ammo, loved aluminum cased ammo and was pretty reliable with my Speer Gold Dot carry ammo and I was very close to carrying it and it jammed once or twice on my Speer so I sold it off and lost my ass on it! It was a piece or art though and fun when it ran!

I carry a Springfield XD9 Sub Compact and also bought a holster for the P345. It has no issues with the aluminum 45 ACP ammo that I have S loads of so it's good! It's one of my favorite guns!

What is the issue with the mag release no bang. Is it bad enough to consider altering the P345? I never alter my firearms internally!

Last edited:

loaded round

Hunter
What is the issue with the mag release no bang. Is it bad enough to consider altering the P345? I never alter my firearms internally!

Goggle ''cleaning Ruger's rear site'' for all the information needed. Basically the mag safety under certain circumstances will prevent the pistol from being fired. Contact me if you want a real in depth explanation one why and how.

KIR

Sparks, NV
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think it is a great looking firearm.

Attachments

• KP-345 and Nimravus.JPG
    KP-345 and Nimravus.JPG
    264.2 KB · Views: 111

Latest posts