Have any of you noticed this odd grip frame?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

flatgate

Hawkeye
pix109743953.jpg

tain't no Homeboy job! Wide, New Model style trigger slot.

One would certainly need to fab up a jig to get the grip frame screws in the correct place.

This is indeed good news, IMHO.

flatgate

PS Here's a Ruger produced MR3-DB sans screw holes....
162714782.jpg

flatgate":118opk4p said:
pix109743953.jpg

tain't no Homeboy job! Wide, New Model style trigger slot.

One would certainly need to fab up a jig to get the grip frame screws in the correct place.

This is indeed good news, IMHO.

flatgate

PS Here's a Ruger produced MR3-DB sans screw holes....
162714782.jpg

Yep, That is a hard one to do fer sure. I have a good drill press and I'm not sure I would try it. Also ya have to counter bore a weeee bit.
Jim

Otony

Blackhawk
So here is a question for you guys. Just why/how did such a frame get out sans screw holes? It looked like an awfully good casting to me, but I couldn't figure out the lack of holes.

Were some of these liberated by lunch bucket before final finishing? Or is it a flawed part that simply wasn't completed? Just curious, as it seems that getting the dang holes in would frustrate Job.

G2

Hunter
Otony,

Frames cast solid and then the Machining begins. holes, along with decking the bottom and back, and also the Grip pin hole, trigger spring hole/ Cylinder latch plunger hole (NM).

Lot's of work here that can be done by a very steady hand, But best performed in jigs and w/ power machine tools.
Once one has the proper power tools and jigs it is quite a strait forward process.

How these get out is anybody's guess. I would guess, discarded for; warped casting, Porosity, and yes the good ol lunch box.

OK I went back and studied the pictures, look at the very front, left of the frame, Might deck out and might not. My guess not willing to take/ spend the time, effort on a maybe.
brssgf.jpg

I have a little collection of these After Market Brass Grip Frames, this would be a new one as I have never seen a "JF" -vs- I have seen a few "SG".
I do have to agree it does look like a nice invesment casting, Now we just got to figure out who is doing em.

Otony":h3m0wlq0 said:
So here is a question for you guys. Just why/how did such a frame get out sans screw holes? It looked like an awfully good casting to me, but I couldn't figure out the lack of holes.

Were some of these liberated by lunch bucket before final finishing? Or is it a flawed part that simply wasn't completed? Just curious, as it seems that getting the dang holes in would frustrate Job.

Not done by Ruger. Ruger never did any for the New Models.
Looks like someone is making them now or an old one by brand X that didn't pass.
Jim