Have a Blackhawk 32H&R mag/32-20 Comb

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
The 32 mag may have been fired but not the 32-20. Thinking of having the mag chamber reamed to 327 Fed. Would it hurt the value to have it done?...BTW no box but do have the docs and otherwise the gun is as new. I do have other 32s but think I like SAs for fun shooting. I happen to have one of the country's better pistol Smith's living really close who would do the work.

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
I did that with a S&W 16-4 32 Mag...I found a new 32 mag cylinder right out of the clear blue...I think I would not be so lucky again...But maybe!! What is a nice Buckeye combo worth roughly??. Thinking buying a cyl or losing a like amount down the road a few years later may cancel each other out

we know of some done, a few of them just like that some years ago and NO were not "remarked" or stamp any "new" caliber on it and NO One would ever know and you can shoot about all the .32 thats ever been made, thats out there, its still a "32H&R Mag"......:rolleyes:;)

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
Just got to look for a cyl. Doubt I can find one easily...wonder if I asked Ruger if they had one as mine was missing? Hmmmm. BTW I was at a gun show last month. Saw a BH 38-40/10mm for sale..no box been shot/carried a bit...IIRC the price was 850...should I have bought it?

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
Yep Buckeye.. Nice looking but 5 1/2 inch. I am partial to the shorter lengths. I did buy a SP 101 327 at the gun show as I got it very reasonably priced. NIB 4 inch..the fellow that had it said he couldn't find ammo and 4 people had looked at it hoping for a 357. Don't want to say how much I paid cause it was kinda highway robbery... But he didn't have to accept my offer. I did find a 50 round bag of Starline 327 new brass for 25 bucks..not cheap but in these times you buy what you can when you find it.The other SP 101 I have does shoot 32acp..fairly accurately. I also found a partial box of 32 S&W at a junk/kinda antique unique shop. 8 bucks for 32 rounds....and 2 boxes of Rem 38 short Colt new brass for 3 bucks a box. The guy also had a bunch of older 30-40s 22 ammo...prices were too high for me. They also had a bunch of good branded holsters etc for reasonable prices. One good western rig but it was 32 in or so belt size.

contender

Ruger Guru
Ruger MIGHT be able to make you a replacement cylinder,, but you'd probably get one made easier & quicker by a custom gun maker. That Buckeye model has LONG been out of production & was limited in numbers.

And since it's a desirable model,, I'd leave it alone where the barrel length is considered. Chopping the barrel on one of those would destroy a lot of the value. (Not counting what it's cost to have it done.)

And yes,, that BH in 38/40-.10mm at $850 was a fair buy if in good shape.

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
Oh I'd never cut the bbl. I may call John Linebaugh about a cylinder...he owes me a favor...Ummm.... maybe...He likes Bisley Rugers to convert

peyton

Single-Sixer
I have done the reaming with all of my 32 h&r magnum revolver to 327 federal and love the extra power!! I did not care about resale value, my great great grandkids can argue about that!!

BuckRimfire

Bearcat
You know that .327 Fed has a max pressure even greater than .357 Magnum, right? The .327 pressure is more than twice the SAAMI pressure for .32 H&R.

Unless you're certain that the steel alloy and heat treatment of the .32 cylinder is the same as for a Ruger .357 cylinder and the wall thicknesses are at least as thick, this sounds like a good way to blow up a gun!

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
If you know anything about Ruger revolvers they are all rated for the heavy loads that shouldn't be used In a less robust firearm. I am a S&W guy. But will not shoot handloads at the top end pressures in them. I was told that in SA revolvers Ruger uses the same steels for all . I also have a S&W 16-4 32 H&R in 6 inch that was reamed to 327 and it is fine. Have another in 4 inch that it makes no sense to ream...But a BH in 32 caliber has a lot of steel in its cylinder so not worried on that score. Heck my Rugers 45 combo acp cylinder handles loads much heavier than an auto could contain. Never blown a gun in all these years...and don't really load to max pressures anyway

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I only recall the buckeye specials being available with 6 1/2" barrel length. So if that's correct and it's been cut and as you said no box, I wouldn't worry about collector value. Do what you want, get a 327 cylinder and enjoy it. And since I also prefer the 4 5/8", I'd cut the barrel again to have exactly what I like.

gs50401

Bearcat
The 32 mag may have been fired but not the 32-20. Thinking of having the mag chamber reamed to 327 Fed. Would it hurt the value to have it done?...BTW no box but do have the docs and otherwise the gun is as new. I do have other 32s but think I like SAs for fun shooting. I happen to have one of the country's better pistol Smith's living really close who would do the work.
It seems like .327 brass is unabtainium. That might influence your decision. An old Skeeter Skelton article had some stronger loads that might make it worthwhile to keep the cylinder in 23 H&R.

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
I bought 22 boxes of 327 and 32 H&R at an auction 4 years ago(75 bucks for all) and some brass at the same auction for both...so have plenty of both. Then I had to find a gun...Found the SP101...then the first 32H&R BH and a single 7 and a S&W 16-4 . Looking for a S&W K-32 now

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
Skeet 028, When they first came out, I bought both the Buckeye Combo 32 and a 6" Model 16-4. Soon after, I got interested in other things and sold both for about what I paid for them back then 😵‍💫

Fast forward about twenty years and I decided I just had to have a K frame S&W in the whiz-bang 327 Fed Mag, so I started a Model 66 through the conversion process. While waiting for that project to be completed, I saw where Ruger had quietly released their stainless 8 shot Blackhawk in 327 and was just as quietly discontinuing it at very attractive prices, so I bought one while I could, Later, I was fortunate enough to locate a Buckeye Special in 98% condition in the box with all the docs, and buy it at a "friends and family" rate. 😎

To be honest, I prefer the blue six shooter to the stainless eight, but I want to keep 327 capability. The folks at Borchardt Rifle Co are making auxiliary BH cylinders but are backed up now and not taking orders. If I can get one of those cylinders and chamber it to 327 FM, that would by dream Blackhawk. 😉

Froggie 🐸

bwct

Bearcat
I too like the .327. My S&W model 14 conversion is a pleasure to shoot. A single action in .327 is on my wish list.

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
Friend Skeet 028, it's been a while since we've touched base. Have you had any experiences with your 32 H&R Blackhawk? How is your brass quest going? I had access to 500 rounds of new Starline 32 H&R when an older friend had to "retire" from loading, but it's long gone now! :confused:

Have you checked with Al at Borchardt Rifle Co about his supplemental cylinders? I think you have my email, but if not you can PM me here or over on one of the other boards we both visit often.

Regards,
Froggie 🐸

Latest posts