Hate this plant

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hankus

Blackhawk
Just thinking this morning, I don't think there is a plant I hate more than Brazilian Pepper. Almost impossible to kill, spreads like wildfire. Takes over everything.
We have a few others, but I don't think anything rivals this.
Maybe iys the shrub/tree version of Kudzu.
What about your neck of the woods.
If you cut down the Brazilian pepper trees do the stumps are almost even with ground level and paint the stump with Southern Agricultural brand brush killer they WILL die. I had to do that at a house I bought back in the late 90s. The fool also planted hedges of Melaleuca trees. It worked on them too!

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
Here in Eastern North Carolina it's Florida Betony or rattlesnake weed.
they grow little white tubers, look like plastic.

If You aren't aware of the honey locust tree, look it up. Worse by far than 90% of the so called 'noxious weeds or plants' and a plague upon the Earth. This species can grow anywhere, has seed pods that are attractive to livestock, wildlife, and even birds resulting in spreading of the seeds along with their own dose of 'starter fertilizer' in the form of dung. Even when cut or bulldozed out, it can regrow from roots up to 4" below the surface of the ground. Produces thorns up to 6" long and sharp as a needle that carry a sort of poison that makes the already serious puncture wound worse. Punctures boots, tires and animal hooves easily.
The only foolproof way to kill them is by cutting, girdling, or drilling to the heartwood and applying a strong dose of herbicide. Even then complete death of the tree and root system may take up to 2 years.

If you cut down the Brazilian pepper trees do the stumps are almost even with ground level and paint the stump with Southern Agricultural brand brush killer they WILL die. I had to do that at a house I bought back in the late 90s. The fool also planted hedges of Melaleuca trees. It worked on them too!
Some people have all the luck. Every time I cut down a Melaleuca at the old house the outside was like paper but had a core like iron.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
At my house we always called that stuff Florida Holly, until we I learned the real name. Many years ago the Robins used to come down to south Florida in January and gorge themselves on that stuff, spreading brightly colored poop on everything.

caryc

Hawkeye
I've got three very nice big pepper trees on my property. You do have to keep them trimmed though or the canopy will start heading for the ground. I use a chain saw to keep the canopy trimmed so that people can walk easily under them. I also use a pair of hand trimmers to cut the little shoots that sprout out all over the trunk. They also stay green all year round.

Hankus

Blackhawk
Some people have all the luck. Every time I cut down a Melaleuca at the old house the outside was like paper but had a core like iron.
I had to stop and sharpen my chain after I cut each trunk … there were thirty trunks in the "hedge"! It took a full weekend to remove them.

I had to stop and sharpen my chain after I cut each trunk … there were thirty trunks in the "hedge"! It took a full weekend to remove them.
Wow, good for you. Probably taken me a month. I cut one down (about 10 inches in diameter) with an axe. When I got done I was tired and just stood there. Wife yelled as the tress was falling toward me.

Hankus

Blackhawk
Wow, good for you. Probably taken me a month. I cut one down (about 10 inches in diameter) with an axe. When I got done I was tired and just stood there. Wife yelled as the tress was falling toward me.
This was ~25 years ago, when I was 35 years old and fresh out of the Army. It would probably take a lot longer these days!

Just thinking this morning, I don't think there is a plant I hate more than Brazilian Pepper. Almost impossible to kill, spreads like wildfire. Takes over everything.
We have a few others, but I don't think anything rivals this.
Maybe iys the shrub/tree version of Kudzu.
What about your neck of the woods.
No sweat here, Got,, Pine, Birch, Oak Hemlock, dang Locust plus many conifers like Pine Spruce Hemlock others,
68 acres mostly wooded maybe about 30 acres of field. Just right for me!

Garth69

Single-Sixer
Those white tubers are edible. They are actually pretty tasty. I keep plowing them to the top pulling the tubers out to die in the sun repeat for about a month before I can plant.
I'll pass for now but good to know if I run out of turnip roots.

Wvfarrier

Blackhawk
Kudzu is one I've been hearing about down in the S.E. Up in NY bamboo is becoming a big problem. People are planting it on their property as decorative plants and quickly it starts popping up in neighbors lawns. Hard as heck to get get rid of. Made it illegal in some towns to plant
We had an issue with Bamboo when we bought our farm. I borrowed some pigs from my buddy, fenced off the affected area and let the pigs in. Two weeks later it was gone