Has something happened with production of the New Vaquero?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lfpiii

Blackhawk
Has something happened with the production of the New Vaquero? Last night I received the new CDNN catalog and I noticed that they listed factory grips for the New Vaquero at $14.99 each. Today I called to place an order. I asked the rep what was going on that they had these grips. He told me he did not know but that they had more than 250 sets for sale. I think it is strange for them to have so many when this is a current production gun. Is Ruger planning another design change? I cannot imagine that the New Vaquero has been discontinued.

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
They are injected molded plastic with a couple pieces of aluminum pressed into them. They can't cost that much to make, just take a look around you that are made by plastic injection and their cost.

They may have also made a large first run with the new molds have a bit of an inventory to reduce as well, but me thinks they are just pricing them realistically.

DGW1949

Hunter
I suspect is a lean sigma type thing, or possably and end of the year inventory-tax thing....meaning that they are simply wholeselling-off excesss stock to vendors.

Wouldn't worry about the RNV...it'll be around for a long time.

DGW

1ruger

Single-Sixer
pvtschultz":1qujuo5w said:
They are injected molded plastic with a couple pieces of aluminum pressed into them. They can't cost that much to make, just take a look around you that are made by plastic injection and their cost.

They may have also made a large first run with the new molds have a bit of an inventory to reduce as well, but me thinks they are just pricing them realistically.

Those grips are very cheap to make but does require maybe $50,000 inventment for the mold. I would think they cost Ruger about $2 per set to make... about $0.50 for material, $0.50 for overhead and $0.50 to amortized the mold and $0.50 for packaging.

Just a guess but I think I'm pretty close.

mt

Single-Sixer
That sounds about right for CDNN, they don't romance the product, they sell it. CDNN is one of my favorite business'.

mt

lfpiii

Blackhawk
I was thinking that they might be quietly removing the internal lock like Remington did a couple of years ago. I should say that I do not have a problem with the lock.

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
pvtschultz":1o66en64 said:
ndcowboy":1o66en64 said:
So, do these grips fit the Lipsey's 44 Special?

They should be the same grips that came with your Lipsey's 44 Spcl Blackhawk.

The New Vaquero grips do not have the medallions in them like the Lipsey's, or the Anniversary FT's. They do fit though.

gak

Buckeye
I have a spare pair,new/never installed - type with medallions - if you want to PM me.