Has Ruger already resolved the Peening problem with the SR9?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

fallujah

Bearcat
I was at a gun store recently and I saw the Ruger SR-9 at the window. I asked to see it, and it looked great.

Question: Has Ruger already resolved the "peening" problem with the SR-9?

ConradM

Blackhawk
fallujah":3jkwnicx said:
I was at a gun store recently and I saw the Ruger SR-9 at the window. I asked to see it, and it looked great.

Don't think it was actually a problem on a large scale.

revhigh

Hawkeye
fallujah":2j7c031s said:

TO answer your problem a little more succinctly, the answer is no, they haven't completely resolved it. You may get one that does it, and you may get one that doesn't do it. It's a crapshoot as you can see if you read up on all the past threads. It seems to be the result of 'tolerance stacking', as another poster mentioned .... meaning that if you get one with parts that don't mate correctly, it peens. Sometimes when Ruger repairs it, they replace the slide and barrel, and you have the same thing. If the parts mate OK, you're good, if they don't mate OK, you have peening. I think Ruger's approach is to replace the slides and barrels, and then 'hope' it doesn't re-occur with that gun again. Not that this is the wrong approach from a cost effectiveness point of view, but I don't think it precludes you from the luck of the draw when buying a new SR9. I know if I had a gun and it 'peened', it would either be fixed right, or I wouldn't own it anymore.

REV

ConradM

Blackhawk
You said what I said... just with way more detail. :lol: There isn't a "problem". Some people just get unlucky with the fit of there SR9's. Naturally they're going to come here and talk about it so it seems like a big issue... But it actually isn't.

I mean, unless someone can show some sort of a % of how many SR9's peen that would indicate that is in fact a problem that Ruger needs to address.

mekender

Single-Sixer
in addition to what was said above... i havent heard of many having this problem recently... so it is possible that the newer batches are not having this issue...

jhearne

Buckeye
ConradM":1tf10wbp said:
You said what I said... just with way more detail. :lol: There isn't a "problem". Some people just get unlucky with the fit of there SR9's. Naturally they're going to come here and talk about it so it seems like a big issue... But it actually isn't.

I mean, unless someone can show some sort of a % of how many SR9's peen that would indicate that is in fact a problem that Ruger needs to address.

If the stacking is indeed the problem, Rev hit the nail on the head. But we don't really know what the problem is, we've debated it for almost 2 years come October. It does seem most likely to be a timing issue of sorts, but I'm not buying another SR9, so I've pretty much stopped worrying about it. I like the one I have.

Tolerance stacking is a problem with any manufacturing industry, weapons or anything else, I see it here where I work every week. The CNC's they use are probably pretty darn repeatable, ours aren't that fancy and they are. Problem is, you have to factor in Tool Wear and how repeatable the Machinists' setups are. But if your putting one part that is at it's maximum tolerance, against something else at it's maximum, it should work, but you can see how having less tolerance to work with can effect it.

There's plenty of good SR9's, but like Rev said, you can get a bad apple. But the way Ruger fixes it, more than one trip to AZ sometimes, isn't what you would like to see. A good gun is one that runs flawless from the box, not after a 2nd trip back for work. At least Ruger attempts to fix the problem, but the way they go about it makes me think they don't really know how.

Josh

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
ConradM":gjwcngr1 said:

So funny! If you got a gun that runs out of the box it's no big deal but if you've sent your new gun back 2X you sure see it differently. If tolerance stacking is the problem then Ruger has a QC problem. If Ruger has decided that it's OK that a certain number of guns will be faulty if they get put together with X number of parts that are all at max or min tolerance what does that say? You'll never see % of returns from Ruger or anyone else unless someone on the inside leaks it.

ConradM

Blackhawk
ArmedinAZ":1i4htwuo said:
ConradM":1i4htwuo said:

So funny! If you got a gun that runs out of the box it's no big deal but if you've sent your new gun back 2X you sure see it differently. If tolerance stacking is the problem then Ruger has a QC problem. If Ruger has decided that it's OK that a certain number of guns will be faulty if they get put together with X number of parts that are all at max or min tolerance what does that say? You'll never see % of returns from Ruger or anyone else unless someone on the inside leaks it.

But how many people have actually had the peening problem? To the best of your knowledge?

jhearne

Buckeye
ConradM":141d3sui said:
ArmedinAZ":141d3sui said:
ConradM":141d3sui said:

But how many people have actually had the peening problem? To the best of your knowledge?

That won't matter as we only see a small portion of who's owned an SR9 and had X experience with it here on RF.com. Sure we see alot of bad experiences with the SR9 and we see plenty of good or eventually good posts, but the fraction we see is most likely not proportional to what's actually out there in the real world.

ConradM

Blackhawk
jhearne":2ruw7lpp said:
ConradM":2ruw7lpp said:
ArmedinAZ":2ruw7lpp said:
ConradM":2ruw7lpp said:

That won't matter as we only see a small portion of who's owned an SR9 and had X experience with it here on RF.com. Sure we see alot of bad experiences with the SR9 and we see plenty of good or eventually good posts, but the fraction we see is most likely not proportional to what's actually out there in the real world.

Probably true. So really, there is no way to know how many SR9s have had this issue. It's all just speculation.

jhearne

Buckeye
Pretty much, you could probably guess rough numbers based on other companies limits for failures/defects, but without any proof other than posts on a forum, your just taking a shot in the dark.

Josh

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Agree with both Josh and Conrad that there's no way to know if or how big a problem the peening is. Thing is, as I stated in another thread, I snooped around a fair number of other make enthusiast forums and didn't see close to the number of "this gun sucks" posts about any other make or model. Would seem that if there were similar problems happening there would be a like number of unhappy owners..and there just aren't. Interestingly I asked about the Mosquito .22 on the Sig forum and got some "don't buy one" answers from a few members who had one. Not enough Sig KoolAid I guess. :roll: It might be fair to say the SR9 has had more than it's fair share of problems don't you think?

tguil

Single-Sixer
Yep, enough problems that I am not about to buy one. Looking at another brand. A bit more "pricey" but almost no bad "vibes". Oh, I really am a "Ruger Guy"-- for over 30 years.

Tom :cool:

Dawg1

Bearcat
I own an SR9 & other pistols, I like my SR9 the best so far as handling & shooting. I have noticed mine has started peening on top of barrel & slide on the right side from the begining but never paid attention to it until reading about it here. I did notice when I first started firing the pistol that I was seeing sparks come from that area & thought it had someting to do with ammo. Now I am seeing peening on underside of barrel at frame & on the feed ramp, all on right side making me beleive it has to be a machining problem. I still love to shoot this pistol & have had no other problems out of it. I keep it by my side all the time.

ConradM

Blackhawk
ArmedinAZ":1xrax8cl said:
Agree with both Josh and Conrad that there's no way to know if or how big a problem the peening is. Thing is, as I stated in another thread, I snooped around a fair number of other make enthusiast forums and didn't see close to the number of "this gun sucks" posts about any other make or model. Would seem that if there were similar problems happening there would be a like number of unhappy owners..and there just aren't. Interestingly I asked about the Mosquito .22 on the Sig forum and got some "don't buy one" answers from a few members who had one. Not enough Sig KoolAid I guess. :roll: It might be fair to say the SR9 has had more than it's fair share of problems don't you think?

What other forums did you snoop around on? Were any of them in relation to a new design? XDm's don't count...

aWoods

Single-Sixer
I wrote Ruger about it:

Hello,

My SR9 is exhibiting peening on the barrel block crown. The peening does not appear to be affecting the firearm, and does not come into contact with the slide during function.

Is the gun OK to use?

Best regards,
x

Response:
The barrel will usually form a small burr across the top of the locking surface. If the barrel exhibits more than a .005" burr and shows signs of metal displacement rearward, at your convenience, call Customer Service in Prescott Arizona (928/778-6555), and we will be happy to help with this issue. We can make arrangements to ship your pistol back for repair.

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:

Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol: (603) 865-2442
Pistols: (928) 778-6555
Serial Number History Information: (603) 865-2424

aWoods

Single-Sixer
By the way,

Why not get a Springfield XDM if you are going that route?

It holds 2 more rounds, has a nicer trigger, and grip (and other minor improvements). You can usually get one for 100 bucks more.

snakespit

Bearcat
Hey conradm.

Why do you think there is no SR40 or SR45 yet?

I am not knocking Rugers, I have two of them and am watching how the SR556 is working out. But you cannot compare the SR9 against the Glock platform. The glock platform is close to perfect. The Glocks have no mechanical issues of any kind. And the problem with the SR9 has been bigger than you would like to think. If they have a big recall sign on their home page it is more than a few isolated incidents.

My point is the Glocks BEAT the SR9 (not Ruger as a whole) hands down at this point.

Just too many issues with the SR9 to compare them to a glock. I am not a Glock fan, nor do I own one. I have shot them a few times. My over all impression of them is good. They always work. They seemed plenty accurate to me. And they have a great reputation. And there has to be something to them as a lot of law enforcement agents use them.

But that's just my too cents.

With all that said I love my P95 and 22/45 Hunter :) . When I look to get a revolver a Ruger will be at the top of the list.

RUGERS ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
ConradM":1lrcmljh said:
ArmedinAZ":1lrcmljh said:

What other forums did you snoop around on? Were any of them in relation to a new design? XDm's don't count...

All major brands that I could find an owner's forum for: Glock, S&W, S/A, CZ, STI, Sig, couple other smaller brands. None had the amount of negative chatter about any other pistol that exists here about the SR9. You're convinced that the SR9 is without notable problems and the posts spelling out these various problems are disproportionate. I can't find comparable evidence elsewhere. If you're contending that all new pistol designs have a host of problems that the initial owners have to bear until the design flaws and/or QC problems are solved I can't comment, I haven't been involved with pistols for a long enough time.

Again, I like my SR9. It isn't peening or chewing the guide rod up, the trigger smoothed out and lightened up with some help, it shoots pretty well and the grip is nice. Admitting that the pistol has some problems isn't being disloyal.