Has anyone shot regular .45 ACP JHP in a ROA with conversion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

piratedude

Single-Sixer
I know the cylinder conversion folks suggest not firing .45 acp JHP in a ROA conversion, but has anyone done it? I don't believe for a second that it would blow up the gun or whatnot. Obviously a ROA can handle .45 ACP. I guess the question is, can the conversion cylinder? It seems strong enough to do it...

I ask because I live in a very remote village and getting cowboy loads, or even the components to make your own, can at times be impossible. Basically you order a six months supply and if you run out... you run out for a couple months. So I am tempted to try a box of normal, non +P .45 ACP JHP.

But I figured I'd ask here first. I certainly don't believe the barrel is going to blow up or that the frame will fail. If no one has tried, I probably just will try it with gloves on.

boomslang

Bearcat
I do not own a ROA, but I have read many a post...

So I have never heard of a 45 ACP conversion cylinder for a ROA, but I have been wrong before.

The conversion cylinders are not 45 ACP (Automatic Pistol Cartridge) they are for 45 Colt, or 45 Long as some people call them. All the documentation I have read says they are for "Cowboy Loads" only. I have heard that the ROA and the conversion cylinders are way over built, but I would not bet my fingers nor eyes on that.

So I would not recommend a 45 Colt +P (they do exist I think). They are much more powerful than a 45 ACP +P.

piratedude

Single-Sixer
boomslang":1l6fa2pc said:
I do not own a ROA, but I have read many a post...

So I have never heard of a 45 ACP conversion cylinder for a ROA, but I have been wrong before.

The conversion cylinders are not 45 ACP (Automatic Pistol Cartridge) they are for 45 Colt, or 45 Long as some people call them. All the documentation I have read says they are for "Cowboy Loads" only. I have heard that the ROA and the conversion cylinders are way over built, but I would not bet my fingers nor eyes on that.

It sounds like you know a LOT about this.

I would think that if the cylinder is properly chambered for .45 Colt ammo it will NOT properly chamber .45ACP ammo. They are two totally different critters when it comes to chamber configuration.

JMHO

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
I have a couple of ROA's but don't use the conversion cylinders in mine. I have plenty of 45ACP or 45 Colts to choose from so I like keeping them C&B for their sheer novelty and fun using as designed.

However, to your question. There is no doubt that the ROA is a strong design. I understand that there do indeed exist conversion cylinders for it that chamber 45ACP. Since most 45 Colt conversion cylinders indicate use for Cowboy Action loads, this is generally held to be around <15K psi, the same as SAAMI spec for 45 Colt.

I would hazard to guess, without specific knowledge, that any conversion cylinder marked as a 45ACP for the ROA would be able to handle SAAMI spec loads as well. Whether they will handle jacketed bullets or not is probably indicated by the manufacturer with literature accompanying the conversion cylinder. They may specify only lead. If that's the case, then I might heed their advice. The ROA barrel is likely capable of handling jacketed bullets, it is a strong barrel and the rifling doesn't seem to be unusual, and the frame is certainly massive enough if the cylinder can handle them.

However, the big question is whether the barrel's forcing cone may have a different configuration, being designed for round lead balls, that would make it unsuitable for jacketed bullets, or if the conversion cylinder's leade is unsuitable for jacketed bullets, which the manufacturer would be in the best position to comment on and likely did with the cylinder instructions.

Kanook

Buckeye
I'd stick to lead in mine. Either soft or hard cast would be fine. I have seen pictures of them with FMJ but that doesn't mean it's right.

Why not contact the manufacture and see what they say. That way if the Ruger breaks you will have a claim

The item linked from Gunbroker is interesting.

If you have the proper pieces to allow the use of .45ACP as explained, this could be a workable situation. As mentioned, I think I'd stick with lead bullets, and no "+P" ammo. JMHO

FWIW, there is no SAAMI-recognized +P .45 Colt ammo. There are available certain "high performance" loads, but the actual pressures involved may not be known . . . use at your own discretion.

I admit to no personal experience with conversion cylinders in the Old Army.

:)

contender

Ruger Guru
The first thing I see wrong with trying this is the fact that the 45 Colt case has a rim to support it in the cylinder. The 45 ACP does not. It headspaces on the case mouth. I don't think it would fire reliabily if at all. You might have an issue with loaded rounds getting stuck in the cylinder.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
Ale-8(1)":louw8f0w said:
The linked cylinder claims to have the necessary "adapter rings" to accommodate either ACP or Colt rounds.

:)

Correct, it says they can get you an extra cylinder in 45 Colt that will work with the adapter ring to allow 45 Colt and 45 acp

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.a ... =145918172

This is a never used blue Kirst Cartridge Konverter. It is in mint condition in the box. It is made for a .45 black powder Old Army Ruger which converts it to .45 ACP. It is like having two guns in one. The .44 caliber cap & ball revolver barrel has the same bore as a present day .45 centerfire revolver. The Ruger Old Army bore diameter is actually .452" nominal, which is the same as the .45 Long Colt bore. Therefore, the barrel of your .44 caliber cap & ball revolver (Ruger Old Army) will accurately shoot .45 ACP lead bullets. No gunsmithing required. Bullets not included. Payment must be received within 10 days of close of auction. No Paypal. Shipping includes insurance, I can also get separate converter rings or the cylinder (without the ring)which will let you shoot ACP and L.C.. i.e. If you have the ACP cartridge converter and buy a 45 L.C.cylinder only you can shoot both 45 ACP and 45 L.C. (The ring is interchangeable).Just email me for the current price.

I had not seen these 45acp conversions before a reference was posted of these in another thread late last week. I am also curious if these are safe with FMJ or JHPs and I stack 45acp for the tough days in the future that I fully expect my children or childrens children will see that will require them to have the guns and ammo they need.

The abuility to use 45acp is far more desirable for an emergency backup then 45 colt. Makes me regret having only bought the 7.5-inch SS Old Army now too as one of the 5.5's with a 45acp cylinder loaded with 230-gr Speer Gold Dots might just make a good last resort "non-gun".

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Just seems to me like a really long and complicated way to go. For about $450 you could get a Blackhawk with two cylinders in 45LC/45ACP and not have to worry about reliability or strength. :D

...JImbo

Latest posts