Has anyone put adjustable sites on vaqueros?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BlkHawk73

Hunter
I've seen them done using S&W sights. I'd think turning the Vaquero into a Blackhawk would be more cost effective if it's just an adjustable sight SA you desire.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Yes, I bought a Blackhawk. :D
Seriously,, the cost of customizing a gun would over-ride the easy method of selling one & buying the other. Or working out a trade for a Blackhawk. That would be the easiest thing to do.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Got to thinking...a drift adjustable rear on a Vaquero would be nice I bet. Just a thought...

bigboredad

Blackhawk
why not keep it and get a blackhawk and then decide which one you prefer before dumping something you know you like for something you may like just my 2cents

two bit okie

Single-Sixer
Why in gods name would you ruin a perfectly good vaquero, when for the price of the work you would have,(probably easily) at least half of the price of a perfectly good blackhawk. :D :D :D and then you have a shooter for each hand. Yaaaaaaaa, thats the way, have 2 guns.

JMHO

CraigC

Hawkeye
It doesn't "ruin the value" to have professional gunsmith work done. You'll never get what you paid out of it if you sell it but that's true of anything and resale value ain't why we do it anyway. It's a viable custom option and in the case of the Bisley Vaquero, less expensive than converting a Blackhawk to the Bisley configuration. In my case, it was a factory 5½" Bisley Vaquero .45Colt that had been accurized, tightened up and fitted with a dovetail front sight. Never could get used to the sights so I sent it back to Clements to cut the barrel back to 4½", add an adjustable pre-war S&W style rear sight with his custom post front, roundbutt and lanyard ring. IMHO, it's a tasteful and elegant custom touch that's a little slicker than a Blackhawk.

Clements%20_05%20-%20005.JPG

IMG_0548.JPG

BlkHawk73

Hunter
CraigC":1v9pc6dk said:
It doesn't "ruin the value" to have professional gunsmith work done.

Correct, but there's a big difference between the "professional" gunsmith and a GOOD gunsmith. I've known a bunch of "professional" gunsmiths but none are someone I'd let do such work. I'd definitely reserve such work to one of the better Ruger 'smiths and not let some small local guy start cutting my topstrap.

Dale53

Blackhawk
I definitely like my Ruger factory models (SBH, .44 Lipsey Special, a 50th Anniversary .44 mag, and a SS Bisley .45 Colt/.45 aCP Convertible and a Bisley Vaquero) but that custom Bisley Vaquero sure looks NICE!

My Bisley Vaquero was bought for special matches that required non-adjustable sights and black powder. It has treated me well, winning a number of matches, and teaching me what an impressive cartridge the full power black powder .45 Colt really was/is.

Dale53

deac45

Single-Sixer
BlkHawk73":37ivzuzx said:
Got to thinking...a drift adjustable rear on a Vaquero would be nice I bet. Just a thought...

Combine that with an interchangeable front sight set up and you'd have a rugged set up easily adjusted for different loads.

deac45

I have a blued version of of CraigC's gun that David Clements installed his S&W adjustable rear sight on as well. Very well integrated and smooth without the protected ears of the blackhawk. I would show a picture of it but it is at Ben Forkins getting rebarrelled in an octagon barrel with a rebored Maximum cylinder in 45 Colt.

Short Barrel

Blackhawk
This one was done by Jim Stroh at Alpha Precision Inc.It is a S+W rear and Jim's front ramp with interchangeable blade.
SheriffsModelVaquero035.jpg

w5lx

Single-Sixer
All of these guns look great. Can anyone give a ballpark figure for the cost of installing adjustable sights, as the OP requested?

CraigC

Hawkeye
Thanks for the kind words!

Mine was done a few years ago but was only about $200-$225 with the front sight, if I remember right. Current pricing can be found at http://www.clementscustomguns.com

Stroh's a little more because he actually welds up and reshapes the topstrap. Clements designed his proprietary rear sight so that he could get the same slick look without welding and only cutting a very minimal channel in the topstrap.

Leadeye

Bearcat
I like vaqueros but have stuck to blackhawks as I find the sight picture easier to see adjustable or not.