Has anyone had Ruger blue their gun?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

azrugershooter

Single-Sixer
I called Ruger yesterday to find out some details on sending in my Super Blackhawk in to be blued. The guy on the phone couldn't tell me anything other than send it in to be evaluated. Is this normal for them? ANyone else go through this to get their gun blued?

nvbirdman

Blackhawk
I sent my .30 carbine Blackhawk to Ruger for a higher front sight and as part of the process they reblued the gun. It is simply beautiful, I would not hesitate to send them a gun to reblue.

azrugershooter

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the info nvbirdman. I must have scared them when I told them that the barrel had been stripped already and had the warning removed!

azrugershooter

Single-Sixer
No I prefer it doesn't have the "billboard" on the barrel. It looks great without all the nonsense on the barrel. I just figured that they are so lawyer happy they will have me waste the money shipping it back and keeping the gun or putting a new "billboard" barrel on it.
But no matter every time I contact them for service I get the same story. Even if it is a defect on their part. Thank God for gunsmiths. :D

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
I hate all the lawyer crap too, but I'm sure Ruger rank and file is in the same boat, and would love to dispense with all of it except for the fact that they are trying to remain in the business of producing a product to make money. Unfortunately, in this litigous country that we have become, all the warnings, etc. are necessary for CYA purposes. If we want that to change then we had all better start voting and letting our views be known to those who are responsible for such things.
As for your revolver; Ruger WILL replace your barrel (or refuse to work on it) if you have altered it, in order to bring it back to OEM specs. There is always the private gunsmith route for bluing, etc.

azrugershooter

Single-Sixer
Well I found a local smith that will do it for less than rugers $130 plus shipping. So I guess I will see how it turns out.

Flash

Buckeye
yep and was pleasantly surprised.
Before..........
Rugers013.jpg

And after.........
001-4.jpg

langenc

Single-Sixer
I contacted Ruger regarding a Mark I semiauto 22LR.

It has some extraction/ejection problems. It also is not 'stock' by a long shot. I was told I could drop it off in AZ and they would 'evaluate' and send me an estimate.

I specifically asked if they would leave 'unstock' parts on it. That question was sidestepped. I wont be dropping it off.

azrugershooter

Single-Sixer
langenc":2qenbs6h said:
I contacted Ruger regarding a Mark I semiauto 22LR.

It has some extraction/ejection problems. It also is not 'stock' by a long shot. I was told I could drop it off in AZ and they would 'evaluate' and send me an estimate.

I specifically asked if they would leave 'unstock' parts on it. That question was sidestepped. I wont be dropping it off.

Yeah the lawyers are running things at ruger. I understand it but some of thier limitations are a bit crazy.

agoetz2005

Bearcat
I have heard now that on the revolvers and pistols they are rollmarking under the barrel. You could ask that they put the roll lettering in a more inconspicuous spot.

RonEgg

Blackhawk
I have a first year NM with a pre warning barrel. It has a bad cylinder latch and could really use a re blueing. If I send it in for the defective part, what will they do??? Would they ask before reblueing or just send it back with a large bill?? Curious, never sent any handgun back to a maker.

Flash

Buckeye
RonEgg":1zjrfr6b said:
I have a first year NM with a pre warning barrel. It has a bad cylinder latch and could really use a re blueing. If I send it in for the defective part, what will they do??? Would they ask before reblueing or just send it back with a large bill?? Curious, never sent any handgun back to a maker.
Hard to say, they definately wouldn't reblue it without your approval but they might change the barrel. Just buy the cylinder latch and change it yourself. Unless it's a collector piece or you're into it quite reasonably, I wouldn't send it back. Back when it cost 70 bucks, to me it was worth it but not now, unless it was a good piece.

RonEgg

Blackhawk
Thanks Flash, no it is kind of ugly looking. Just got a bisley frame for it and will just play with it for awhile, if I can get it back together :lol: May take your advice and get that latch. At the moment it goes past the next chamber, when the hammer is pulled back briskly, so haven't been able to shoot it. I am really going to enjoy this. Ron