Harton OM 44 Special Conversion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Before I get tarred and feathered for doing this to such a nice old model, you need to that when I bought this gun it had a hole drilled and tapped in the top strap. Other than that violation, the gun was in great shape so I sent it to Alan Harton to fix the hole, CCH the frame and hammer and while it was down there I had him convert it to 44 Special. I know the new offereings from Ruger in 44 Special are great for some of us, there is just nothing like an old model gun. He shortened the barrel to 5 1/2", rebored it to 44, rechambered the cylinder, did an action job including manufacturing a new pawl to work with the the rebored cylinder clean up some spots on the cylinder and reblued it alonog with his black powder chamfer and nine months later sent it home.

I already have on old model 44 Special conversion and just love it. My thoughts on this one were to make it available to guys here on the forum who either never thought they could afford a conversion like this or did not have the patience to wait the year or so to get it done. The sambar stags are ones I had in the box and they fit great. This gun is listed in the classified section if anyone is interested.

IMG_1138_1.jpg

IMG_1137_1.jpg

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

IMG_1139-1.jpg

I placed it in the classifieds at what my costs are, on more, no less. Hopefully someone can snag it that appreciates the old models and Alans work with the few extra touches. I now as I've posted pictures of the various conversions I've done over the years, guys have commented on who they never would have the patience to wait for one to get done or the finances. Hopefully this will let one of those guys dip their toe into the custom revolver pool a bit.

RonEgg

Blackhawk
I agree Robb, I have been waiting for two years for my conversion from Clements. Wrong time in my "situation" or this would be my third. Yours is still less than mine and I already had the stags. Good luck with the sale.

Thanks Ron, I hope some younger member decided to take it for their first custom. It isn't as tricked out as it could be but that keeps the costs down and lets the buyer put his/her stamp on it as they can afford it. I have a Bowen rear sight that I just about stuck on but I wanted to remove as many "barriers to ownership" as I could so I left if off for now.

mt

Single-Sixer
That's perfect for someone with no patience. I have two in the pipeline or I'd jump. You will not go wrong with Alan's work.

mt

Latest posts