Harton .41 MAG/SPL Ruger #5 OM flattop

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Aggie01

Blackhawk
This example of the master's art has been a long time coming.
When we planned it, I could not think of a better platform for the .41 Bore. It's been a few years betwixt plan and execution, and I have not thought of a better.
Slated to come home next week. (Pics by Alan)
Ruger Old Model .357 (Mid frame) flattop.
Clements #5 parts incl hammer, trigger and I believe even the backstrap (I picked it up as a project with the #5 components bundled)
The SN even starts with 41.
Alan Siegrist rebored the original barrel, then Alan (Harton) trimmed it back to 5.5", and added one of my front sight bases with interchangeable (FA) blades.
A second cylinder was procured and fitted to have dedicated 41 Magnum and 41 Special cylinders.
Alan's Black Powder chamfer went on said cylinders.
Alan welded up the rear of the cylinder frame to match the height required by the #5 backstrap.
Our original plan was to CCH the frame and hammer, but Alan was concerned that the Clements hammer/trigger notches/sear would be too thin and could break too easily.
With that I elected to keep the frame blued as well. The welding on the frame appears to be blended in pretty well with the blued finish.
The Maple grips (also made by Alan) are simply stunning.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Jimbo357mag said:
Nice gun. I didn't know an Old Model .357 mid-frame could handle the 41 magnum. :D

Why not when SAAMI max pressures are nearly the same for both calibers? Or didn't you know that? :shock:

"Nice gun" is faint praise at best for a masterpiece like that! I'm envious...Congrats! 8)

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Bucks Owin said:
Why not when SAAMI max pressures are nearly the same for both calibers? Or didn't you know that? :shock:
A 357 magnum is not the same as a 41 magnum, durrrr. Maybe you should stop trying to make me look stupid Bucks because it comes back on you sometimes.

Arky

Single-Sixer
Great looking gun in a great caliber. I also prefer the 5 1/2 in barrel on a single action.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Sounds like 'some' folks are letting the crap from the politics board spill over where it doesn't belong. :roll:

wolfsong said:
Jimbo357mag said:
Nice gun. I didn't know an Old Model .357 mid-frame could handle the 41 magnum. :D
Well, now you DO know it.
Bucks Owin said:
Jimbo357mag said:

"Nice gun" is faint praise at best for a masterpiece like that! I'm envious...Congrats! 8)

I have an OM .357 that has been converted to .41 Magnum and it works fine. In my case, I actually wanted a .41 Special but when the Magnum came up here... I figured it would let me go either direction.

Sure the OM .357 can handle the pressures.. it is a matter of case/bullet diameter in the smaller diameter cylinder. The .44 Magnum has the "same pressures" as well but you keep carving away metal, somewhere down the line you don't have enough steel. Seems safe enough in .41 Magnum. I never had any plans to push it like I might my .41 Magnum Redhawk.

Very nice custom revolver there. And great idea to get two cylinders. Long wait, that's the price you pay for high quality custom work.

G

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
Alan does great work, doesn't he? I had him convert two OM .357s to .44 Special-one was a 4 5/8, using a Super Blackhawk barrel and one was a 5 1/2" using a Colt New Frontier barrel. Both were excellent quality.