Harrisburg RCA Show - How does one do a table?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I think I have enough guns that I could play show-and-tell but I have never doen anything like this and I need some advise...

First, I assume getting a table is as easy as asking and paying a fee of some sort. Can I ask what the cost is (in general terms is fine).

Secondly, I assume if doing a show like this you really need a good display case that can be locked as well as making sure you attend a show with at least one other person that can help keep an eye on your collection. I was going to work with my father-in-awy to build some display cases but darn if I am ready to build as every time I look around I find more variants that I want to buy and add to the collection and I am afraid that my case would be outgrown before I get to use it the first time.

Any tips from the pros that have done this on what I need to consider to be able to do this?

I am planning to show my Single Action Hunters and with them I also have a full set of the Redhawk "R" models.

17 HMR Single Six Hunter - KNR-717H
17 Convertible Single Six Hunter - KNR-717HX
22 Convertible Single Six Hunter - KNR-7H - Southport Conn
41 Super Blackhawk Hunter - KS-417NH
41 Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter - KS-417NHB
41 SUPERLESS Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter - KS-417NHB
44 Super Blackhawk Hunter - KS47NH
44 Super Blackhawk Hunter - KS47NHN
44 Super Blackhawk Hunter - KS47NHNN - Newport NH - Eagle
44 Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter - KS-47NHB - Southport Conn
45 Super Blackhawk Hunter - KS-457NH
45 Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter - KS-457NHB

The Redhawk half sisters to the Blackhawk Hunters including:
RH-41R - 41 Blued
KRH-41R - 41 Stainless
RH-44R - 44 Blued
KRH-44R - 44 Stainless
KRH-45R - 45 Stainless

I don't expect I will have many more of the ones I need before the show so I do need to start thinking about how to build a display that will secure my investment as well as allow people to see my obsession with big shiny Ruger revolvers.

Thanks for any advise!

Terry T

Buckeye
The RENE news letter gives contact info as:
Matt Oliver at (610) 965-8674 or matt_Olivier-at-merck.com.

I too am contemplating attending and would like more info as to table rental/reservation and suggested hotels in the area.

Cases can be quite simple - in fact the 'rustic' look is quite popular. One would not want the display cases to over shadow the guns but simply present them in a way that they can be clearly seen while maintaining security. I bought some simple aluminum cases on E-Bay for not too much. My friend had some very nice oak cases made up. They look very nice but are pricey, heavy and a bit of a pain to travel with and keep nice.

Yes, one's collection soon surpasses one's ability to put everything on one or two tables. For a while I was taking ALL my Rugers to shows, I really have about 4 or 5 different Ruger collections going at once. Each is now large enough to bring just one collection. I hate to leave the others home alone - they all really enjoy the attention at the shows.
Terry T

flattop44

Buckeye
Yep, Matt Olivier is our Harrisburg show coordinator and can give you all the info. Everyone please contact him and he will send you a "show" packet when everything is ready to go.

Sure good to hear that you both are planning on attending, it is a really a good gathering of Ruger collectors and a fun time!! I hope a lot more folks show up and display their guns. The show promoter is a great guy and advertises that Ruger Collectors will be attending so it has brought in some pretty good guns in the past.
Bill

bigbore45colt

Hunter
Guys,

I will be sending out information in a few weeks. Please email me your mailing address and I will make sure you get a copy of it. The packet will have information on how to get tables, hotel information, dinner info, etc....

I will also be putting up a sticky with general information.

Feel free to email if you have any other questions.

BB45C

contender

Ruger Guru
Go to www.gunblast.com,, & look up reports on past shows. You will see that a lot of guns are not in cases,, so "locking" them isn't always about using cases. I usually attach mine with zip-ties to my display.
BY ALL MEANS DO A DISPLAY!!!!!!!!!
When you get the packet,, study the things about the judging etc,, as it'll show you little things you need like a title & theme.
Trust me when I say the shows are a blast to do,, and hanging out with more likeminded folks is great. (We are all warped in the same direction!)

Riot Earp

Bearcat
I wish someone would do an Old Army display. Blued, stainless, long barrel, short barrel, adjustable sights, fixed sights. Not sure if anyone collects them though.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
Thanks for the advise and I need to think about what I am comfortable with as far as security. I really wanted to do last years show but it didn't work out so I am trying to start planning early.

contender

Ruger Guru
Riot Erp; there have been some OA displays in the past,, and yes,, some folks do collect them!

QB; absolutely do whatever you feel the most secure with. Some of the guys build "L" shaped brass rods to install in the barrels to add to the display ans part of the securing of their guns. (A couple of inches of brass down the barrels from the muzzle, and the other leg through the dispaly wall. Secure the other end of the gun with some form of support as well. I've seen a couple of different methods.
Starting early? Heck a lot of us work on it all year!

radicalrod

Hunter
Hey the hardest part of doing a display is getting over the feeling that it has to be perfect.....no one has a perfect display...well except maybe me......OK OK I'm joking.....just pick a topic and stick to it....less is more most of the time.....make sure everything is labeled....you don't need elaborate cases...heck I don't even own a display case....well I can't give you all my secrets.....my favorite thing to do is wait till 2 weeks before the show to get started...makes me work much harder.....good luck and hope to see you there,. RR.

Yes, it is nice to be able to built some nice, large enough display case that one can lock up and secure your 'stuff" but as far as judging goes, it is NOT a 'contest" of who builds the best, neatest and costliest display...it is HOW YOU present your stuff, and HOW ,YOU make it all come together as a common 'theme" for it to be judged , on its OWN merits,and the contents, how they relate to each other, and HOW you are going to show off ,highlight and educate any of us that come along and view YOUR display and find out exactly what YOU are trying to show us, teach us and educate us, in the world of guns,(in this case Rugers) from YOUR 'stuff'.........then other things will follow in this display as to the completeness of any particular catagory ( theme) and remember this "theme" should be YOUR title and how it all relates to and is about this "theme" yes, it is a title...the title of YOUR display........
you do this, keep it orderly ,neat and together ( related) and this is what makes the "judges" job a lot easier, and gets YOU higher marks......
if you look at some of the current displays,, and I mean some of them that are :winning: displays, there appears to be fewer and fewer actual display cabinets....lots of guns at the Tulsa show, were just "laying on the table" ( of course 'propped'up or on stands...but we prefer to actually mount them on "something" yes, even a "board" ( you can make them boards pretty fancy or cover them with clothe, whatever.........) trouble is ,every dislay show "venue
" the lighting will be different, and many of the same dispays thata look GREAT at one show, because of lighting, location, whatever, will not look as GOOD at the next show, and it will be "exactly the same display"...manytimes this may even be cause by 'reflections' on say the glass cover or display background........never know till you try and thats the trick at least 'try" ...thats what makes it a learning thing on the displayers part, as well as learn from the judging results , as to where your display may have been presented wrong , missing something, or not labled correctly...gotta do your homework, and KNOW just what it is your are trying to display.......
Good luck, having displayed around the country off and on over the years, attending the NRA judging seminars and then actually doing juding ourselves...we try and help the displayer achieve his goal, only way to learn is try and find out.................
get the info pack from Matt,, look over the rules and ask some questions, most of us will gladly help you out.I get calls all the time and really like to "see" the end results,,,but still the fun and the cameraderie is in attending, setting up and going for the 'gold'...why not be proud of YOUR 'stuff. But also remember many set up ONLY for the joy of "showing" and NOT winning anything, just being there....goes both wa s and is just as much fun....no need to get your head up in the clouds and have your bubble burst or be disapponted or as we have seen over the years , angry as to "why you didn't win" versus someone else...tsk , tsk.....keep it loose and keep it fun....
Good luck and hope to see you there, Harrisburg is one hell of a nice venue for a display show, and Matt does one hell of a fine job of putting it all together.