Harrisburg Gun Show & Ruger Collectors Assoc.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
This past weekend the Harrisburg,PA. Gun show was held at the Farmers Agricultural Complex. A big part of the show is the display of collections from the members of the Ruger Collectors Assoc.(RCA). Good friend Mike "Doc" Barranti had been summoned to make a holster for the RCA, by President Matt Olivier,aka bigbore45. A Ruger .44 Spc. FT with 5.5" barrel, case hardened and tuned by Doug Turnbull, along with a set of beautiful walnut stocks, was to be auctioned off. A shuck was needed, for a fine sixshooter of this quality, and Doc got the nod. He answered the call, above and beyond the call of duty, and produced a floral carved #5 shuck, which he donated to the cause of the RCA.

HarrisburgGunShow024.jpg

Doc had been given ample warning, and a plan was hatched to go to the show. Doc resides in Pittsburgh, PA. and Harrisburg is over 4 hrs. away. By some geographical oddity, I'm only about an hour and a half away, tho' I reside in MD. Doc would come to my house Friday night, after work and we would drive to Harrisburg Saturday morning.

Doc arrived as scheduled, another oddity, and a jug of Henry Mckenna had its seal broken for a customary toast to Elmer, Skeeter, and just getting together. Doc brought along a little surprise for me, one of his Barranti #1 shucks, which he designed years ago, and is his first design. It was made for a Ruger 4 5/8ths Flat top .44 spc. WOW ! As Dick Thompson is fond of saying, it fit like a condom , tho Mikes sheaths are good for alot more than one "USE".

Saturday morning arrived, and we loaded up to go. A stop at McDonalds was in store for coffee and biscuits. I ordered a sausage w/ egg biscuit, and Doc ordered a bacon, egg, and cheese. Of course the order got messed up ! I took a bite of my biscuit, and had bacon, cheese and egg. I told Doc of the mix up, and he said his was wrong too, he got a sausage biscuit with egg. I gave Doc his half eaten biscuit back, and got mine back from him, before he fully unwrapped it :lol: .

We arrived in good time, and was met by RCA president, Matt Olivier. While walking the first aisle, Doc hears someone call his name. Doc stops, and there is Contender, standing by his display. It was like an old home reunion. Tyrone (contender) and I had met 3 years earlier, in Idaho, on an Elk hunt sponsored by Dick Thompson. Tyrone was introduced to the quality of Mikes work by the shoulder rig Dick wore. It was Mikes Signature Series NW Hunter rig, and it is a beaut ! Tyrone, being the savy gun show guru asked Mike if he had anything for sale. As a matter of fact Mike did. A fish scale #5 shuck was quickly bought by Tyrone, without hesitation. He knew Mikes wares would not last an hour here.

Barranti1shuck004.jpg

HarrisburgGunShow015.jpg

Mike and I enjoyed the show and were really impressed with the quality, and cool collectibles displayed.

HarrisburgGunShow006.jpg

HarrisburgGunShow007.jpg

HarrisburgGunShow008.jpg

HarrisburgGunShow009.jpg

HarrisburgGunShow010.jpg

HarrisburgGunShow011.jpg

HarrisburgGunShow012.jpg

Here is Tyrones display

HarrisburgGunShow013.jpg

HarrisburgGunShow016.jpg

Mike and I really enjoyed ourselves !We were invited to the RCA Banquet by Matt, and had a wonderful meal. We also got to meet the cast of characters of the RCA, and put faces to names, on this Forum. Radicalrod, Coogs, RoninPA, Bigbore45, 41nut, and I'm sure I missed a few others. No pictures were taken of these members as the witness protection program, the statute of limitations, and any active warrants which are still unserved, want to stay that way. The auction was a hoot ! Alot of comaraderie, and good natured teasing, harrassing, and straight out ball busting took place. Everyone left in good spirits, as I'm sure more "spirits" were consumed into the night. I think I now know the reason certain venders may be a touch grouchy Sunday morning on the floor. If you get the chance, go to one of these shows in which the RCA is also showing their displays, do yourself a favor, and go. You'll have alot of fun, and you will probably learn a bunch !

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Nice pics, thank you for posting. :) I SO wish I could make at least one of these shows but they're always on dates that just don't out for me/us.

tookalisten

Blackhawk
callshot said:
Looks like fun! With all you heavy weights there, do you think a guy in bibs could attend?

I don't know, I see they made Ty wear shoes :D

2 dogs

Buckeye
Standing together those guys look like a double meat double cheese hamburger and a couple of french fries.....

gatling

Blackhawk
Awesome shots and awesome weapons. Thanks for taking the time to post these.

cubrock

Blackhawk
tookalisten said:
callshot said:
Looks like fun! With all you heavy weights there, do you think a guy in bibs could attend?

I don't know, I see they made Ty wear shoes :D

I noticed that, too! I think I've seen him in shoes only one other time since I've known him.

sixshot

Buckeye
I mentioned on another forum that it must have been a high class affair if Tyrone was wearing shoes :shock: . Tank must have bought another wall tent & had Barranti make him a nice vest!

Dick

Coogs

Maximum
Well, I am here to tell you that that when Tyrone, not to be confused with Billy the X-terminator, showed up for set up on Friday, HE WAS BAREFOOT!!! :shock: :shock: We made him throw his shoes on for the banquet, tom jam was not suppose to be on the dessert cart :!: :!: Coogs

Coogs

Maximum
Junkman............ :? :? :? , I mean RR........I think they smelt you/us comin' both Saturday AND Sunday mornin'.........love ya RR, Remember, what happens in Harrisburg, stays in Harrisburg....... :shock: :shock: :shock: Coogs. PS, my wife can't wait until November/Tulsa.!!!

Would you look at the size of Hoovers meathook hands? I bet he had to wrap 8" ball of tape around the grips of his bike just so he could get his fingers something to hang on to! Ty has no idea how close he is to getting THE CLAW!

2 dogs

Buckeye
Gee Tyrone. Seems like all these boys are claiming you're on the high smelling side of funky. You don't look so stinky to me. I mean you may be a possum but that's still a couple of notches above skunk!

contender

Ruger Guru
Gosh, with all the love here, it makes my poor old eyes water up. (Or maybe it's that skunk juice I handle.)
Yep, H'burg was a grand old time as usual. But to me, it was especially good in that I finally got to meet Doc, and a reunion with an old friend, Tank. And yes, I knew if that holster got spotted down the line, someone else would own it.
Little did I realize I'd be rescuing it from the junk handler's paws! :D :D

If y'all miss a show like this, you are truly missing a good time.

(And for those who question things, I do wash my feet often!) :D :D
Yep, I arrived barefoot, and have been that way as much as I can get away with. But a RCA show is a big deal, and I honor them by wearing my sneakers. (That's how I get them critters, I use sneakers!)
Gee 2 dogs, I've sunk from coon wrangler to possum now? Maybe it's because I'm a grinnin from snagging another fine Barranti shuck!