Harrisburg Best Of Show

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ruger1nut

Blackhawk
Well lets see if I can get these pics right.

Offered for your viewing pleasure were the guns the displayers submitted for best of show in Harrisburg for the RCA display show.

I am both proud and amazed, at the rare firearms this group came up with. Many thanx to Lee Sundermeier for the tough job he had in judging all these fine firearms.

Taking this Years top honors was Bill H. and his Spanish Pattern #5100 Single Six. It was new in the case.
This was the first gun in a group of 20 that Mr. Ruger sent to have the engraving done on. Congratulations Bill

0HarrisburgRCA3-11051-1.jpg

0HarrisburgRCA3-11095.jpg

0HarrisburgRCA3-11097.jpg

The rest of the class in no particular order.

Jim S. and his Factory second Lightweight with all original parts, NIB

0HarrisburgRCA3-11092.jpg

0HarrisburgRCA3-11093.jpg

Mike W. and his Type 8 .44 Flattop 6 1/2"bbl and un fluted cylinder. XR3 Red frame

0HarrisburgRCA3-11091.jpg

0HarrisburgRCA3-11090.jpg

Terry T. and his GF-32 Liberty .357 Service Six 2 3/4' stainless. 1 of 3 known

0HarrisburgRCA3-11086.jpg

0HarrisburgRCA3-11088.jpg

The next item got my vote for the most unique Item if Ruger Memorabilia I have ever seen. Tyrone and his Flattop 44 toy. It was a promo item introducing the "new 44 and is so marked on the back.

0HarrisburgRCA3-11085.jpg

0HarrisburgRCA3-11084.jpg

Matt O. and his single digit Old Model 45 Serial #6!!

0HarrisburgRCA3-11082.jpg

0HarrisburgRCA3-11081.jpg

Rod K. and his serial #738 .44 Flattop. Shipped in 1956 complete with box, shipper and all paperwork.
What makes this one even more amazing is still have the original railway sticker on the shipper showing is was shipped by rail

0HarrisburgRCA3-11079.jpg

0HarrisburgRCA3-11078.jpg

Moving foreword a few years in the history book is Russ D. and his hand engraved John Wayne prototype for the "Last Cowboy" Serial #1001. I believe the product gun will be out in a few weeks.

0HarrisburgRCA3-11077.jpg

0HarrisburgRCA3-11098.jpg

0HarrisburgRCA3-11099.jpg

Lee S. and his Number One Rifle 38-55 1S NIB with a special tag stating to "Hold for Mr. Ruger"
Evidently Mr. Ruger forgot he had it on hold. Nice rifle Lee.

0HarrisburgRCA3-11043.jpg

0HarrisburgRCA3-11074.jpg

Bill H. and his Favorite 44 Flattop 7 1/2" Unfired and boxed

0HarrisburgRCA3-11060.jpg

Jack and his Seville 357 Max. Used and tested by Ruger in 1983 this was the test gun that lead to Ruger abandoning the 357 Max project. Ironically it was not a Ruger they tested to do this. The gun shows much evidence of this testing
Jack my friend I need your help with some pictures. (new pics below in post, thanx Jack)

Dave L. and his Number One Liberty "One Shot Antelope" gun Chambered in 25-06 this gun was presented to Mr. Paul Thayer who was President Ronald Reagan's Secretary of defense.

0oneshot005.jpg

0oneshot003.jpg

0oneshot001.jpg

seeemmiss

Single-Sixer
Now those are some good picks of some good stuff. Bill, that is one awesome scratched up gun. Matt, that 45 has too many zeros in the serial number Lee, I had no idea you even owned a rifle much less a rifle like that. Did you find them on the way to the show? Either way, real nice stuff.

Coogs

Maximum
I know I may get yelled at because it is not a Ruger, but, when according to the late Jim Triggs, when this gun was compared to the Ruger Maximum, and WBR saw the diferrences, it was the deciding factor in Ruger dropping the Maximum and not reintroducing it! Ruger put over 100 proof loads through it and at least all totaled another 8000 or so "other" rounds. Previous owner polished it off to make it to over 10,000 rds. Coogs.

contender

Ruger Guru
Folks,, this bunch of "best" items was astounding. Y'all should just come & visit these shows to see such neat & rare items.
Well worth the price of admission.
Lee had a very tough time judging this catagory,, and I for one would not want to be a judge for it. Thanks Lee!!!!
WMG,, I know of three of these toys. At one time,, I had two of them myself. Dave Whitman talked me out of one,,, yet,, where it is now,,, I do not know. The other one lives a wee bit west of here.
It's one of those "little things" that slips by a lot of folks!

americal

Hunter
THAT is some of the finest Ruger walnut grips on flattop-44's---- 5100 RSSE I've EVER seen :shock: BUT it ought to be on THAT gun :lol: ALL the Rugers are great :) + never seen contenders item before 8)

trapperon

Blackhawk
Hey Contender and Weaselmeatgravy....I almost hate to bring this up, but did you notice your games are different? One has the holes to catch the BB's at all four corners and the other has two at each bottom corner.

More variations in the collecting world!!

Ron

Cholo

Staff member
Every time I see these fine Ruger collectables I wonder what the about to be new owner 1st thought when he came across one of these treasures...

Nice pics!

41 nut

Bearcat
Some darned nice displays this year. And I had to miss them. Thanks for posting the excellent pics.

And thanks Matt for posting the pics on the RCA forum.