Harley Davidson Speaks to Declining Bike Sales

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
NEWS - HARLEY DAVIDSON SPEAKS TO DECLINING BIKE SALES

The reasons for the slump in sales at H D are not President Donald Trump's fault.

Apparently the Baby-Boomers all have motorcycles. Generation-X is only buying a few and the next generation isn't buying any at all.

A recent study was done to find out why Millennials don't ride motorcycles:

1. Pants won't pull up far enough for them to straddle the seat.

2. Can't get their phone to their ear with a helmet on.

3. Can't use two hands to eat while driving.

4. They don't get a trophy and a recognition plaque just for buying one.

5. Don't have enough muscle to hold the bike up when stopped.

6. Might have a bug hit them in the face and then they would need emergency care.

7. Motorcycles don't have air conditioning.

8. They can't afford one because they spent 12 years in college trying to get a degree in Humanities, Social Studies or Gender Studies for which no jobs are available.

9. They are allergic to fresh air.

10. Their pajamas get caught on the exhaust pipes.

11. They might get their hands dirty checking the oil.

12. The handle bars have buttons and levers and cannot be controlled by touch-screen.

13. You have to shift manually and use something called a clutch.

14. It's too hard to take selfies while riding.

15. They don't come with training wheels like their bicycles did.

16. Motorcycles don't have power steering or power brakes.

17. Their nose ring interferes with the face shield.

18. They would have to use leg muscle to back up.

19. When they stop, a light breeze might blow exhaust in their face.

20. It could rain on them and expose them to non-soft water.

21. It might scare their therapy dog and then the dog would need therapy.

22. Can't get the motorcycle down the basement stairs of their parent's home.

Virus-free. www.avg.com

powder smoke

Hawkeye
Bear Paw Jack said:
Can't get the motorcycle down the basement stairs of their parent's home.

Snow flake hahaha! I got my Triumph 73 Daytona 500 down my old mans cellar
thru bulkhead. Couple guys no problem! Did some customizing over the winter!
Couple buddies we took it in the spring, ready to ride :D Wish I had that sucker today! ps

Pierow

Blackhawk
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're goin' through

David Bowie

Just sayin',

Pierow

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
powder smoke said:
Bear Paw Jack said:
Can't get the motorcycle down the basement stairs of their parent's home.

Snow flake hahaha! I got my Triumph 73 Daytona 500 down my old mans cellar
thru bulkhead. Couple guys no problem! Did some customizing over the winter!
Couple buddies we took it in the spring, ready to ride :D Wish I had that sucker today! ps

Gosh, needed to take it indoors to fix it during winter. I just left the garage door open and did what was needed. But that was after I got home from the beach.

kramden

Blackhawk
I live just south of Milwaukee. HD is in trouble. Bikes are not selling. The new electric bike REALLY isn't selling. The baby boomers are either done riding or already have a bike. Of course some do buy a new one but not like years back. Not sure what lies ahead for HD. Way too expensive for the younger generations even if they were into bikes.

protoolman

Hunter
Harley is in real trouble, no joke. Young people are buying bikes like crazy but they are different than the big heavy cruisers. Harley needs to come out with some cooler different designs asap and dump the cruisers. The old Harleys are sitting in the garages of old men who can no longer balance them. When sold you are lucky to get $5000 for a bike that might have been $17000 5 years ago used.

gunzo

Buckeye
protoolman said:
Harley is in real trouble, no joke. Young people are buying bikes like crazy but they are different than the big heavy cruisers. Harley needs to come out with some cooler different designs asap and dump the cruisers. The old Harleys are sitting in the garages of old men who can no longer balance them. When sold you are lucky to get $5000 for a bike that might have been $17000 5 years ago used.

Try 10 + years ago, about when H/D production met demand & the used market has been going down hill ever since.
The new market was destined to follow.
Couple that with H/D's marketing & dealer network insisted their dealers have huge, posh, high visibility, high rent district locations to keep a franchise, & just one slump would hurt bad, really bad.

The hand writing has been on the wall for some time.

bogus bill

Hunter
I used to live on those things. Now I and wife are too big together to be comfortable on them. I doubt she would ride with me anyway. Sold the plane for the same reason.
https://postimg.cc/k6FSdCY1
https://i.postimg.cc/Px0QYrWj/1963-Harley.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/sXMJMZZm/Crystal-me-1964-Harley.jpg

Chuckfish

Single-Sixer
Too many models that are too much alike. H-D has forgotten their base customer. The Co. is run by a bunch of "bean counters". They need to get back to basics and trim down the line and lower prices. H-D pushed me out of the dealer network in 1994. The dealers are the Company's customers and the riders are the dealers customers and that will never change. just a few thoughts...

bobski

Hunter
personally, the image that surrounds HD is sort of old.
i dont like the way owners are expected to all dress the same. black leather? please. and of course, you have to have a club and ride in groups? or even worse...you have to ride with a purpose or a cause? no thanks.
and i hate to say it guys...most HD people is see riding them are fat. not a little fat...but HUGE. plus the passenger.
if i was 25, that would be a turn off right there.
and why would i want to own something that looks the same and SOUNDS the same as the guy next to me? its like listening to 100's of poorly tuned lawnmowers without mufflers.
and the thing that gets me the most.....im not paying thousands of dollars for an air cooled engine.

nope.
deal me out.
i outgrew bugs in my teeth decades ago.

Bull Barrel

Hunter
The Liberal held left bank of the Mississippi Rive
Believe it or not some models now have liquid cooled heads.

Yes, you must wear the uniform and learn to "wave" to other people on bikes like yours only...by pointing the first two fingers at the ground.

HD ran a lot of dealers out of business because the company wanted the dealers to sell a lifestyle and the dealers wanted to sell motorcycles. And if you are a multi brand dealer you had to sell HDs in a separate building.
There is no HD dealer in the city of St. Louis for these reasons.

Latest posts