Hard cast bullets

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sluggo

Bearcat
Where do you guys like to get your hard cast bullets from? Specifically I'm looking for 45 Colt bullets. Does anyone sell in smaller quantities so that I might try a few weights and designs before commiting to buying 500 of them?

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
sluggo":2hacwx5u said:
Where do you guys like to get your hard cast bullets from? Specifically I'm looking for 45 Colt bullets. Does anyone sell in smaller quantities so that I might try a few weights and designs before commiting to buying 500 of them?

One of my favorites is BeartoothBullets.com. I buy them 100 at a time from them. You're right that a lot of companies won't sell less than 250.
Sonnytoo

Rusty W

Single-Sixer
I started casting my own about 3-4 years ago. I have some left over from when I used to buy them. If you're interested send me a PM and we can work out the where to's and what for's.

boolits036.jpg

boolits015.jpg

sixshot

Buckeye
The word "hard cast" should be outlawed!! No one seems to know just what is considered hard cast. The commercial guys have got them so hard if you don't run them pretty fast you'll get gas cutting because the bullet base doesn't upset & seal like it should.
So.....when you buy cast bullets you need to have a general velocity in mind & buy your cast slugs accordinly. Lets say 8-11 BHN for medium/plinking loads up to 1000-1100 fps, maybe 15 BHN for 1100-1300 fps, & the really hard stuff 16-22 BHN, for the heavy, wrist wreckers!!

Dick

Robb Barnes":3batbdvd said:
Hey Dick, did that new 480 wrist wrecker get there yet? I can't wait to see what it does to the local cottontails and badgers.

Naaaaaaaaa I haven't taken it back to Alan yet.
I'm still trying to file out some of those scratches :lol:

sluggo
Ya might give some of the CAS a call in your area. They know whare to get them at the best price.
I have bought a lot from Hunter Supply.
Jim

sluggo

Bearcat
Thanks for all the good information. I'll give some of these folks a try and see what I can come up with.

sluggo

Bearcat
I see some bullets offered with gas checks. I don't imagine that gas checks are needed or even beneficial if I'll be shooting 1200fps or less but please correct me if I'm wrong. Also it sounds like I should avoid bullets over 15 BHN if I'm going to be running 1200fps or less. It looks like most of what I've looked at online is a 92/6/2 combination that they list as 18 BHN. Are those too hard for what I'm talking about?

Three44s

Single-Sixer
Casting solves these problems ....... and it is NOT HARD to do.

I suggest starting with Lee micro band (tumble lubed) and WW alloy sweetened with 1/2 to 1% tin.

I run a six cavity Lee mold and get slugs galore in no time. Lube with Liquid alox and shoot them as cast .... no resizing necessary.

These make for CHEAP plinkers.

WHY blow dirt around for big bucks?

:roll:

I sort these just cast slugs into three piles:

1) perfect castings

2) plinkers

3) remelts

Then I lube the ones in category 1&2

Three 44s

Bucks Owin

Hunter
sixshot":1588d22q said:
The word "hard cast" should be outlawed!! No one seems to know just what is considered hard cast. The commercial guys have got them so hard if you don't run them pretty fast you'll get gas cutting because the bullet base doesn't upset & seal like it should.
So.....when you buy cast bullets you need to have a general velocity in mind & buy your cast slugs accordinly. Lets say 8-11 BHN for medium/plinking loads up to 1000-1100 fps, maybe 15 BHN for 1100-1300 fps, & the really hard stuff 16-22 BHN, for the heavy, wrist wreckers!!

Dick
Right on Dick! A too hard bullet at "plinking speed" of 900-1000 fps or so is a leading disaster. A "dirty little secret" about the 22 BHN bullets from "some" commercial casters is that it has nothing to do with how they shoot, it's how they SHIP! Hard bullets don't get mangled in shipping! :shock: :roll: