Happy Day for me and three of my 44 Carbines

Help Support Ruger Forum:

b1buddy

Single-Sixer
I sent message to Ruger asking about verification of three of my 44 Carbines. I will attempt to either attach or copy/paste her response here.
BUT, the big point for me is - GEEZ! She told me way more than I expected, and I think that kind of service is wonderful. If you go to their website and submit the question, you may also be happily surprised..
Okay, copy/paste worked.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Good Morning Mr. Bailey,

Your 44 carbine, serial number 123902 is an international model. It was manufactured in August 1967 in our Southport, CT facility as a model 44-X and it was equipped with a Mannlicher stock and swivels. It shipped in August 1967 to Belknap Hardware in Louisville, Kentucky.

The 44 carbine international and sporter style stocks were hand checkered at the wrist and forend and they were fitted with sling swivels and pistol grip caps.

Your 44 carbine, serial number 98956 was shipped with a Ruger receiver sight. It was manufactured in August 1965 in our Southport, CT facility as a model 44-RS and was equipped with a Ruger receiver sight, carbine stock and swivels. It shipped in August 1965 to Kirtland Brothers in Franklin Lakes, New Jersey.

Your 44 carbine, serial number D128747 is legitimate. It was manufactured in May 1968 in our Southport, CT facility. The letter "D" at the beginning of the serial number indicates two guns of the same model were initially roll marked with the same serial number. He "D" was added to one to ensure each carried a unique serial number.

If you do send in a request for a letter of authenticity for these rifles you will have to request the additional information listed above. Our routine letter of authenticity lists the model, caliber, serial number, date produced, date shipped, facility where it was produced and who we shipped it to. I do include the additional information but only at the request of the customer. For your convenience I have attached a copy of the request form for a letter of authenticity.

Do not hesitate to contact me directly if you have additional questions or concerns. My email address is [email protected] and my company cell phone is 603-359-1323.

Thank you for giving us this opportunity to be of service and for being a valued Ruger customer. We value your continued interest and support in Ruger firearms.

Best regards,

Linda DeProfio

Linda M. DeProfio

ATF Records

Ruger Firearms

Southport, CT

Cell 603-359-1323

b1buddy

Single-Sixer
I now can add - I sent a reply thanking her for all the good information. Plus, I asked if she might positively confirm that the International was checkered by "Ruger" recognizing that it was an outsourced job. She came back and confirmed it. So, I fully plan to send in for the "official" letters on all of them, plus a few other too!!!!!!!!

Again, Thanks to Ruger Records folks!

b1buddy

Single-Sixer
1650058266687.jpeg

Not the best picture but -- bottom to top: S/N 365. second from bottom is 98956 with factory rear peep, middle is the Manlicher,
second from top is a No.3 in 44 Mag, and top is the 99/44. Not shown (for some reason no picture in my files) is a No.1 in 44 mag plus a model 77/44 (blue/wood). Also not shown is the 44 Carbine that is D127747.
I now have the letters for all the Carbines and I continue to be impressed as she told me who they were shipped to. I never knew they would tell us that.

Now, lets see if this picture actually posts to the site!!!!!!

chet15

Hawkeye
The checkering on the .44 International is not a factory checkering pattern.
The DeProfio statement, "The 44 carbine international and sporter style stocks were hand checkered at the wrist and forend and they were fitted with sling swivels and pistol grip caps." is an untrue statement as there are actually only around 4 or 5 hand checkered .44 Sporters and the same amount in the .44 International that are known as factory hand checkered. Ruger's records will show your gun in the records as either "44XC" or "44X Hand Checkered". I would definitely get a letter stating one or the other, but can tell you... that's not a factory checkering pattern.
Chet15

A lot of the time the people at Ruger really aren't sure of the configuration of some of these early guns. They look to Ruger and His Guns for reference and the book states all the internationals and fingergrooved sporters were checkered at the wrist and forend. Most collectors know this isn't true. It's the opposite. That's why occasionally you'll see a gun letter as checkered that you know wasn't factory checkered

What nobody has noticed it appears that the RS model also has a folding rear sight. This is what collectors call a R/RS. I have seen and owned a few in that 98000 range

Not really the R/RS thing is just among collectors. The checkered uncheckered was just pertaining to the 44 Carbine. You have to remember this was their first long gun and catalog numbers were being developed also the checkering department was just being set up in late 1965 when Len Brownell came to work. One more point. What will be put in writing will only be what is on the original invoice it may differ from an email.

Last edited:

b1buddy

Single-Sixer
Here is a copy of the letter for this 44X carbine.
I sent her an email as she had invited me to do. I copied this letter as a memory jogger. Later that day she called me.
She said she went back to 1965, 1966, and 1967 (which is the year this one was made). She found no evidence of any 44XC designations. Also, she hired into Ruger in 1972 (if my memory is correct, into the commercial dept.). She has been with Ruger ever since.
She said she had never heard of or has seen any 44XC designation in any of the records.

As a side note, she was telling me that in those days, Mr. Ruger walked the floors essentially daily, and he was pretty much like the school teachers of old that walked around the room with a yardstick in their hands. He was watching everything. Her impression is that there never were "just 3 or 4" checkered 44 carbine stocks as that was just not Mr. Ruger's style.

Hopefully, I have not misrepresented her comments on the phone.

Attachments

• Inked20220427_074801_resized_LI.jpg
    Inked20220427_074801_resized_LI.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

b1buddy

Single-Sixer
Also in addition - to further Ruger66's comment above - here is the letter for the RS.

Attachments

• Inked20220422_172338_resized_1_LI.jpg
    Inked20220422_172338_resized_1_LI.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 118
I will agree with Linda on the the XC I haven't seen one. They letter as a X or SP (fingergroove sporter) hand checkered. If you check on GunBroker,guns america,guns international you won't find a checkered one. I have been collecting these guns for 42 years now so i have kept track of alot.