Hank Williams Special Edition?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sebtool

Blackhawk
I've got a shot at a Redhawk in .41 mag, and the info is it's a Hank Williams special Edition. SS, 4-5/8" barrel - sounds like a nice set up.

I haven't seen it yet, hopefully tomorrow or Wed. Does anybody know anything about these? Is there any real extra value associated with these?

I mean, hell, I like Hank as well as anyone, I'm jest a country boy after all.... 8) I'm not really into safe queens. If I can get into it reasonable I wanna shoot it! See if it'll out shoot my Blackhawk :p

Anything special I should look for?
Thx

gunman42782

Hunter
Never heard of a Hank special edition, but I have not heard of a lot of things. Regardless, a Redhawk in .41 Mag should be a helluva nice gun!

contender

Ruger Guru
I don't think Ruger ever produced a "Hank Jr Special," but I do know that some of the guns he owns/owned that have a provinance,, do seem to bring a bit more $$.

keyston44

Bearcat
A couple months ago I seen a Ruger Blackhawk in 41mag for sale on Gunbroker that said it was a "Hank Williams Jr." gun. I think I remember the auction saying Hank purchased a bunch of guns from Ruger for his band members. He had them engraved and had factory papers. Maybe it is one like that? Key

Redstick

Single-Sixer
sebtool":trl6ni9l said:
Anything special I should look for?
Thx

A Factory Letter would be one thing if you know the serial number? Or just call the factory and see if there's any info on it for now (get letter later).Or if it was Hank Jr.'s gun, some documentation of that.

It prob'ly just used to belong to Bocephus.
Bocephus4.jpg

Here, ask him yerse'f! :lol:

sebtool

Blackhawk
Thanks for all the info - I'm going to give him a call this afternoon, and we'll see what he has to say.

I do know that he's supposed to be 1 of 'those guys'. You know the ones who everything they own is golden, and your's is ...... well, just 'shtuff'. Should be an interesting conversation :lol:

I've alway wanted a Redhawk tho, so we'll have to see what happens.

seeemmiss

Single-Sixer
The few 41 magnum New Model flattops that were made recently were created because Hank Jr asked the factory to make him one. I have a letter from the factory that says the two I have are callled "Hank Williams Jr Specials". Maybe the guy thinks it is a redhawk but it is really a blackhawk.

Lee Martin

Hunter
The only "Hank Williams Jr" Blackhawks I know of are the recent run of 41 Magnum flattops (blued, 6.5" barrels). Haven't heard of a 4 5/8" SS version.

JonnyB

Bearcat
Lee Martin":jzywifwl said:
The only "Hank Williams Jr" Blackhawks I know of are the recent run of 41 Magnum flattops (blued, 6.5" barrels). Haven't heard of a 4 5/8" SS version.

Does anyone know where to purchase one of these guns?

Thanks,
Jon

sebtool

Blackhawk
Turns out that the 'Hank' edition was 1 forum member sniping at the seller, to see what he'd claim. And he did say it was a HW edition on the forum, but not to me! :?

What he did tell me last nite is that's it's a 1 of 300 factory accurized model, with a trigger job, and custom front sight. Same thing today when I looked at it. Sounds like BS to me, as there's nothing on the gun to back that up that I can see. Time for some research on the sn thru Ruger to see what I can find out.

And that front site's gotta go! Ugliest damn thing I've ever seen. It did have the set of Pachmeyer's on it, so take it FWIW. They came off as soon as it came in the door!

On the bright side, the trigger's phenominal in both double and single action, almost as good as my Blackhawk! :D Some faint evidence of handling, doesn't look to have been shot much.

So, has anyone seen a front site like this? Where's the best place to look for a replacement? Looks like something off a Daisy BB gun. :oops:

[/url]

REP1954

Blackhawk
I bet that front sight would really look nice with a set of faded black rubber grips.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
JonnyB":ffurv8fq said:
Lee Martin":ffurv8fq said:

Does anyone know where to purchase one of these guns?

Thanks,
Jon

Call Jim Condon, Little Crow Sports, Hutchinson, MN, AC 320 587 9829. Advise him that Splitz said so......... 8)

mustang99

Single-Sixer
"it's a 1 of 300 factory accurized model, with a trigger job, and custom front sight"

No such thing, at least not in the last 2 years. So if the serial number falls within that range.........

sebtool

Blackhawk
Nope - it ain't nothin' special, just a Redhawk which by the sn was produced in 1984. :eek: Not even the 4-5/8" barrel - it's 5-1/2". Little longer than I wanted, but that's OK I guess.

'What we have here is failure to communicate'..... In other words, the guy was trying to act like a used car saleman. Almost surprising that he didn't have a hand written note from Hank himself to go with it for an extra $100. I'm sure that could be gotten for a price :lol:

The closest this gun ever came to Hank Jr. was if it was in the car with a previous owner who listened to country! :roll:

REP1954 - I guess you're referring to the faded black rubber Pachmeyers in the pic that I already took off? :) Tell you what - as soon as I replace the sight, I'll sell you both the Pachmeyers and the sight real cheap!

Basically it's a good clean, pretty tight gun, came with a hard case, 2 boxes of 210 gr. Gold Dot hps,($27.95 price tags :shock: on the boxes!) the Pachmeyers, the original wood grips, a new Uncle Mike's holster and a new tube of Flitz. Doesn't appear to have been shot much, nice shape.

It does have a real sweet trigger on it. Whether it's factory or not, I have no idea. I'll probably call or email Ruger to find out what I can next week. Wasn't a steal, or anything special, but I'd say I came out purdy close to even on it, 'cept for that damn sight. If I can't find a decent 1 or a take off, I'll either buy 1 of those hi-viz sights or make 1 out of stainless. At least then I could say it has custom sights! :)

Time to set up the Rock Chucker and shoot it, see what she'll do. I don't think I'll be shooting those GDHPs anytime soon - they're the collector's items! :lol:

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
sebtool

As was mentioned, that "hideous" sight was part of a 4-pack that was available from Ruger. The other three were sky blue, white, and yellow. They do look ugly, but sure show up good in certain conditions. Mag-na_Port sold a similar set called "C-More" sights. They still do I think.

I am not sure if they are still available, but Ruger did sell a gold bead front and v-notch rear sight for the Redhawk.

It will be easy to get a different one for your gun. You can order from Ruger, I believe Brownell's too. Those Hi-Viz sights show up good too, but in my opinion are just as hideous looking.

All in all, I think came up with a good "find". 41 Redhawks are getting hard to come up. Great cartridge in a great gun! Enjoy it!

Dan

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
I had a Bullseye spring in my old Redhawk. Made the trigger real nice but started to get light primer hits. With the Pac's and the red front sight insert it wouldn't surprise me if there isn't a bullseye spring in it. The spring was a common accessory in the 80's. If you get failure to fires or light primer hits you may need a factory spring.