Hanging out in the high country part II

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
We have ditched the little red 4 wheel drive power for 2 leg motion. We applied for a wilderness pass several months ago to get off the beaten tourist path to hike down the Black Canyon trail to the Gunnison River. It was a good damn thing that we made arrangements to be picked up at the river and returned to the starting point because we would have never made it back to the top in our life time. 8675 feet at the starting point to 6320 feet to the river, 3.7 miles down a winding trail. We consumed over a gallon of water each along with two O2 canisters. This was one of the most spectacular hikes we have ever done, only took 7 hours to get to the river, Ms Lefty is passed out in the bed as I type !!!!

vh6gk2.jpg

69e4vk.jpg

28ip27q.jpg

14e166r.jpg

2lo52q1.jpg

ruger randy

Single-Sixer
what kind of arrangements can be made to be picked up on the river???
I felt something in my soul the 1st time I was there; it was awe-inspiring;
also notice in 1st pic at top that this canyon just appears quickly; flat grassland with no view of canyon until you get right up to it; cant imagine a settler/explorer driving a wagon up to the edge & having to detour 10 days around it.

-------------------

ruger randy

4kdave

Blackhawk
That's in my back yard as I live in Montrose. Came out here in '63 on vacation and moved here in the Fall of that same year from CT.
Never looked back as we live truly in " God's Country "

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
That first photograph looks like a painting on glass like used in the pre-computer graphics days. Beautiful view of another world. Thank you.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
One of my Favorite pieces of Music in High School Band my Junior year was a composition Named
"Black Canyon of the Gunnison".
I played French Horn at the time. Somehow it just rang a bell in my heart and mind.
Thanks for the Pictures, NOW I know why that music was so beautiful.