handloading kit..any good

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jpb in me

Single-Sixer
There is this kit that sells for $39 that has great reviews from owners. I only want to reload one caliber and this seems like it would foot the bill nicely for me. Anyone here have one and how well does it work?
s7_215925_imageset_01.jpg

revhigh

Hawkeye
As long as you don't mind it taking a real long time to reload a box of shells ... I guess you're OK with that kit. Although I really don't like ANY Lee equipment at all ... many here seem to be OK with it.

It's cheaper than buying factory, so that's a win.

REV

Divernhunter

Single-Sixer
Buy a real press. You will not be sorry. "I personally" do not like the lee presses and much of their stuff. Others do like it. "I" suggest RCBS first or Hornady/Lyman/Redding/Dillon and maybe another I forgot.

jpb in me

Single-Sixer
Is the aniversary kit the same as the deluxe kit? I only plan on loading 44 mag (and possibly a few 70-08 per year)

revhigh

Hawkeye
Divernhunter":troka7n8 said:
Buy a real press. You will not be sorry. "I personally" do not like the lee presses and much of their stuff. Others do like it. "I" suggest RCBS first or Hornady/Lyman/Redding/Dillon and maybe another I forgot.

Better advice was never given ... please heed the above !! You're going to be there anyway very soon after buying that toy kit ... Please try to spend the extra money and get into an RCBS combo kit. You won't regret it.

100 rounds a month is 24 boxes per year. Figure about a $20 per box savings ... so you'll save $480 in the first year reloading. For half that you can buy an RCBS combo kit.

Good luck.

REV

CraigC

Hawkeye
I'd rather tote a professional whoopin' than have to load on one of those contraptions. Forty bucks may sound real cheap until you have to replace it with a real bench-mounted press. Then it's pissed into the wind. ;)

I would also suggest something other than Lee. A member recently said that they thought that most folks who swear by Lee have never used anything else and I think that's a true statement. RCBS, Lyman, Redding, etc. are all not more expensive because they're greedy, they're more expensive because it's better equipment.

john guedry

Single-Sixer
At the risk of soundin hypocritical ( I use Lee molds and a few dies) I don't own any of their presses and won't ever, cause they just don't feel right in my hands. Guess I'm old fashoned that way "heavy is better".

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I have both RCBS and Lee. RCBS is heavier, but you can't beat the value that the Lee Classic Turret press represents. It's also hard to beat the value of the RCBS starter kit. I resent the implication that I simply "don't know any better", but I suppose everyone's entitled to their opinion. Personally, I think people who rag on Lee focus on one or two products that they've decided they don't like. Lee is also one of the few to make these little "hand reloading" type kits, which most people look down on.

I will admit Lee's primer feed mechanism is pretty cheap and flimsy. So don't buy or use it. Use the hand primer that everybody prefers anyway. I also probably wouldn't spend the money on one of their progressive presses after hearing of the troubles people have. But you're talking a multi-hundred dollar unit, not something comparable to entry level stuff.

I do agree that a real press, any press, is probably better than the little hand loader contraption.

-- Sam

J Miller

Blackhawk
jpb in me":c3ik7i50 said:
There is this kit that sells for $39 that has great reviews from owners. I only want to reload one caliber and this seems like it would foot the bill nicely for me. Anyone here have one and how well does it work?

I have several bench mounted presses that I use for 99% of my hand loading. However I also have one of those Lee hand presses along with a Lee Deluxe 4 Die .45 Colt set, priming tool, pretty red funnel, and it's all in a nice tool box. In the box with the tools I can put 500 bullets and primers and a pound of powder.
I keep this for when I'm out in the boonies and want to load up what I've shot. Well, that's the theory any way as there are no boonies to go to in IL.

In use it does it's job very well IF you have strong arm muscles. Even with carbide dies it does take physical strength to perform the sizing step. Mine will make as good a cartridge as my bench mounted press using the same dies, it's just more work.

I consider it a back up tool more than a primary tool.

Joe

revhigh

Hawkeye
J Miller":36l0wwwz said:
Mine will make as good a cartridge as my bench mounted press using the same dies, it's just more work.

I consider it a back up tool more than a primary tool.

Good assessment Joe, backup or SHTF Rambo in the woods type usage :D.

I don't doubt it will make a round that will go boom. The question is ... how much effort do you want each BOOM to take !

FYI, here's a link detailing all the RCBS presses and kits.

http://www.gunaccessories.com/RCBS/Presses.asp

REV

Enigma

Hunter
I agree with what everyone has said - the Lee hand press is too labor-intensive, even for 100 rounds a month. Buy a bench mounted press; Lee makes two good ones - their Classic Cast and Classic Turret presses. Otherwise buy RCBS, Redding, Lyman, etc.

Can't disagree with the above. You will end up with a bench-mount sooner rather than later.

If you absolutely HAVE to buy LEE, I'd go with the Classic Cast version.

That said, my old Rock Chucker is now over thirty years old and functions just like new . . . smoother, actually.

:)
JMHO

AKGrouch

Bearcat
RCBS is the way to go. When I first started reloading, I tried to do it on the cheap....got an old CH H press. Took about 6 months for me to get real tired of having to hold the top of the press while I pulled the ram. The top would move even though the unit was bolted down. I said enough already. I stumbled on a used RCBS A2 (forerunner of the rock chucker). It's about 50 yrs old now, still almost like new, and works like a champ. Spend the xtra and get the RCBS. You will not regret it.

wixedmords

Blackhawk
I've got no problems using the Lee Hand Press. It's a good little unit.

Sit out on the porch, size some brass.

That being said, a turret press would make a good partner to the hand press.

roc1

Bearcat
I agree with the others buy once and be done with it. All of the ones listed a good in fact I have equipment from about every mfg. I like the Hornady that is what I use single and progressive machines. I would look into them as you can get free bullets know which is a very good deal. I bought my two presses years ago so I missed out on that deal. I guess it is ok since mine were a lot lot cheaper then.
roc1

Pal Val

Buckeye
I got started with a Lyman turret press kit. I have replaced most of the components over the years, but the press stays. It has six stations, of which I have three taken up permanently with my .357 mag setup. The other three I use with the other calibers I reload. One thing - I quit using the priming rig that comes with the press, using an RCBS hand primining tool instead. I crushed just too many primers that ended up sideways in the tube.

I've had that setup for about 5 years and lost count of how many rounds I've loaded. All I can say is I had done some math about when it would reach a "break even" point with .357's and .38's and I passed that point years ago. It's all gravy now.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
Another one here in agreement for getting a "real" press that's mounted.

I have a Lee hand press as shown, but only use it when I'm on the road for preparing brass when I want something to do away from home. I can't imagine using it to actually seat and crimp, but that's because my technique for using the thing is to use it horizontally, rocking it on a towel on the table.

I use it for depriming/resizing .38, .357, .41mag, .44mag and .30 Carbine (and will probably use it for .45 now as well). However, as someone else posted, even using carbide dies, the .44s are tough without lube...and milsurp .30 Carbine brass can be a real bi*tch too. I think I used it for .300 Savage as well, but didn't have the guts to try my .303 British.

You'll see all kinds of advice as to what brand to get. Get what feels right to you and your budget. Check on the used market, you probably could get a pretty good deal on reloading gear.

And get a hand primer too. It's a lot easier than mucking with the one on the press, I feel.

Good luck.

Aqualung