Hammer thong

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jpb in me

Single-Sixer
Like the rig you made there. I am also going to attempt to make grips out of a piece of black walnut I have. What is holding your grips to your gun? I notice there's no ferule on it for the screw.

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
jpb in me":1r2fouz1 said:
Like the rig you made there. I am also going to attempt to make grips out of a piece of black walnut I have. What is holding your grips to your gun? I notice there's no ferule on it for the screw.
Thnx; It was my first holster attempt; turned out pretty well.

You have a good eye. Most folks don't notice that they are TWO piece grips but have no visible means of retention. Actually, there is one on the other side. I make them all with what I term the 'blind screw' tech. It's a 'proprietary' tech of my own design that I worked up using some of my old model airplane ideas. The bolt comes through from the left panel, and the 'nut' - if you will - is either actually a part of the right grip itself, if there is enough material to do that, or it is internally affixed to that right panel. Depends on the frame layout. On Single Actions, like that SS, there is a lot of 'room' inside, so it's easy. On the panels I just made for my SP101, it was really tricky, however. VERY little 'room' to spare in there, and the panel itself was also quite thin. But I got it done. I like the fact that on the side that is 'outside' when the gun is in the holster, nothing shows but the wood.
Here is the 101 showing my new grip 'inserts'.
SP25.jpg

In case you are wondering about the strength of this tech, I used it on the grips I made for both my "Anniversary" 357 BH, and my SBH Hunter 44 Mag, and they don't slip or move at all. The guns shown in my avatar are all stocked with my own grips, and all use this type of mounting.
P.S. When you make your grips, leave them a bit large at first, and carefully 'fit' the upper, square, end to the frame. If it takes a few 're-shapes' to get that angle correct, (which it will if you're like me!), this will give you enough material on the bottom and sides so you don't have to 'start over'. AMHIK! Good luck.

Shoot44

Single-Sixer
BTW, anyone not familiar with "CYA" needs to be VERY careful with this stuff. It will glue anything to anything; and I mean ANYTHING! It sets or cures using moisture as the catalyst, so two wet objects WILL be glued together, and FAST! You can glue two fingers together so tightly you'll need special stuff to get them apart or take the skin off of one of them! And you can glue your eye to your eyelid, and it will NOT come loose!
So use eye protection and be very, VERY careful with it!

Latest posts