Hammer scoring on P95

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rmansu2

Single-Sixer
I have been noticing my P95 is scoring on one side of the hammer and am wondering if this may cause a problem in the future. It's due to the channel in the slide for the hammer not being smooth and straight across.

Has anyone else had this problem?
How did you fix it?

Pinecone

Blackhawk
rmansu, It depends on where the hammer is "sitting" in the frame as to the correction "method". If the hammer is "not" centered, then a thin "shim" washer may cure your problem. If it is "centered" then cleaning up the slide "wall" would be in order. You'll have to make that determination. Is the whole side of the hammer rubbing or just portions of it? I would try to correct it if I were you as it could eventually lead to premature wear on other parts if there is much "stress" on the parts involved..............................Dick

rmansu2

Single-Sixer
It's the face of the hammer, not the side. When the hammer is cocked you can see on one the right side of the face where it is rubbing. I took a triangle file to it over the weekend and spent about 45 minutes with long strokes and light pressure to smooth it out. I looks square to my eye. Do you have any idea of how to test to see if it is square. It's a pretty small area so I don't know if there is a good way to test other than trial and error.

Pinecone

Blackhawk
rmansu2, To test for squareness on "any" part, I simply use a "good" quality machinist's square. I have several different sizes. When making parts, I usually also use a "surface plate".......................Dick :idea:

Latest posts