Hammer replacement on a Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Durango Dave

Single-Sixer
I have a .357 Blackhawk convertible and I love it. The only thing I don't care for is the hammer. It narrow and simplistic like these were made out of flat plate steel.
So I'd like to replace the hammer. I have a few options but I think I would like to get a Montado Hammer from Power Custom. It's nice and wide and has a checkered grip.
orig.jpg

This video answered some of my questions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W62Pt-z6cZ8
It was created by a professional gunsmith from Power Custom. Although he answered some of my questions it brought up more.

1. This Montado Hammer has a half cocked position. What is the advantage of that? I hear it makes it easier to load but I don't understand that. I don't have to do anything but open the loading gate to load. Sure the cylinder does not automatically stop when the chamber is lined up with the loading gate but I don't see how the hammer will change that. I have a "New" model Blackhawk with safety features that no longer necessitated the half cocked position. Oh and by "new model" I mean it's made after 1973 (If you believe that I have a new 1975 Ford I'd like to sell you :wink: )

2. The above mentioned video says I need to grind down the transfer bar. Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is the transfer bar needs to be modified to allow me to half cock the hammer. Can I simply not grind down the transfer bar? Will the hammer then not stop in the half cock position? I don't want to go to extra work for a feature I wish I didn't have.

Thanks in advance.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
If you are happy with out the half-cock you may want to look into a factory Super Blackhawk hammer . Wider, sits a little lower , drops right in and is cheaper.
http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/trigger-group-parts/hammer-parts/hammers/hammer-assembly-ss-prod44411.aspx
Out of stock right now but another supplier.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/841361/ruger-hammer-assembly-ruger-super-blackhawk-hunter-stainless-steel

Aqualung

Blackhawk
Welcome to the forum.

I would vote for the Super Blackhawk hammer.

I made the same change on both my Blackhawks. I would not do anything that would require grinding down the transfer bar.

The Super hammers dropped right into my Blackhawks, but I needed to file a tiny bit off each of the hammer faces to get good primer strikes/firing pin extrusion.

There are more details in this thread in the Ruger-Smithing Forum:
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=258261

Aqualung

Durango Dave

Single-Sixer
Thanks guys. It looks like I should get a Super Blackhawk hammer. It's easier to install and it's cheaper. I have only been able to find stainless steel. If I can't find blued I'll order the SS.

G2

Hunter
Durango Dave said:
Thanks guys. It looks like I should get a Super Blackhawk hammer. It's easier to install and it's cheaper. I have only been able to find stainless steel. If I can't find blued I'll order the SS.

Ruger no longer makes Super Blackhawk Hammers in Blue, Stainless only.

If you "REALLY" want a Blued Hammer,
1. Luck Out and find one, or be really patient and hunt for one.
2. Step up and pay $100- $125.
3. Buy a donor gun, swap out the parts and re-sell the donor.

Stainless Ruger Montado Hammers are stainless only and do show up from time to time usually ~ $100. Ruger won't sell the part out right, they require you send your gun in for replacement. AFAIK

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Durango Dave said:
I have a .357 Blackhawk convertible and I love it. The only thing I don't care for is the hammer. It narrow and simplistic like these were made out of flat plate steel.
So I'd like to replace the hammer. I have a few options but I think I would like to get a Montado Hammer from Power Custom. It's nice and wide and has a checkered grip.
orig.jpg

This video answered some of my questions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W62Pt-z6cZ8
It was created by a professional gunsmith from Power Custom. Although he answered some of my questions it brought up more.

1. This Montado Hammer has a half cocked position. What is the advantage of that? I hear it makes it easier to load but I don't understand that. I don't have to do anything but open the loading gate to load. Sure the cylinder does not automatically stop when the chamber is lined up with the loading gate but I don't see how the hammer will change that. I have a "New" model Blackhawk with safety features that no longer necessitated the half cocked position. Oh and by "new model" I mean it's made after 1973 (If you believe that I have a new 1975 Ford I'd like to sell you :wink: )

2. The above mentioned video says I need to grind down the transfer bar. Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is the transfer bar needs to be modified to allow me to half cock the hammer. Can I simply not grind down the transfer bar? Will the hammer then not stop in the half cock position? I don't want to go to extra work for a feature I wish I didn't have.

Thanks in advance.

1. By cocking the hammer to 1/2 cock for reloading, it changes the cyl hamd (pawl) position which aligns the chambers at the 'click' of the hand.

2. The new model Rugers use the transfer bar as a lock out, so the hammer can't be cocked with the loading gate open. So to use a 1/2 cock hammer so grind off a tiny bit of metal at the middle of the transfer bar to eliminate the hammer lock out.

If one wants a blue hammer and checkered Vaq hammer the Power Custom is the way to go. Still cheaper than a Ruger which sell for more than $100 these days (if you can find one) and more than a Power Custom. AND you don't have to use the 1/2 cock feature, just drop it in and it'll work like your standard hammer!

3. But nothing wrong with the Super hammer, cheap and simple swap.

4. When you get it installed we can share some simple tests to make sure it retains its safety function, reliable ignition, etc.

P.S. Hope you liked my 44 flat top above. The SS grip frame is also from an early Montado with the grooves on the forestrap.

Durango Dave

Single-Sixer
I bought the Super Blackhawk hammer from Brownells for $31
I installed it using the instructions from Ruger. This video also helped out tremendously.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W62Pt-z6cZ8&t=559s

37147289175_f939ae26ce_z.jpg

The original hammer thumb grip is 0.29 inches wide and the Super Blackhawk hammer is 0.497 inches wide.
You can see the Super Blackhawk hammer is also lower.
36975768582_9dc6bf040c_z.jpg

36333247603_e5962bffc5_z.jpg

The Super Blackhawk hammer is all stainless steel. The original hammer was blued only on the top.
36975767362_82157c07ab_z.jpg

Thanks for the advice. I am happy with the results and I saved money too. :p

eveled

Hawkeye
It looks good on there. I have a couple of Blackhawks I need to do that too.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Most of y'all know me and that I prefer the Blackhawk hammer on my Single Action Rugers, including the Super Blackhawk:

O.K. So in the bottom photo, I did leave one plain Jane stock.

I find the narrow hammer spur "digs" into the flesh of my thumb more and provides a surer grip.

Bob Wright

Durango Dave

Single-Sixer
Bob Wright said:
Most of y'all know me and that I prefer the Blackhawk hammer on my Single Action Rugers, including the Super Blackhawk:
O.K. So in the bottom photo, I did leave one plain Jane stock.

I find the narrow hammer spur "digs" into the flesh of my thumb more and provides a surer grip.

Bob Wright

Well if you still have one "plain Jane stock" I happen to have a standard Blackhawk hammer for sale (cheap) :lol:

Latest posts