Hammer or No Hammer?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

StonewallRuger

Single-Sixer
I'm going to buy a SP101 with a 2.25" barrel soon, and I am going to use it for a CCW/range gun. Should I get one with a hammer or one with a bobbed hammer?

Spike

Single-Sixer
Good question. Most people will tell you a bobbed hammer is wiser for CCW, but I can't personally stand a revolver without a hammer...
Personal preference, I says.
-S

Snake45

Hawkeye
A chopped hammer makes for a better CCW gun, but reduces its utility for just about every other use. What else will the gun be used for, and how much "other" shooting will you be doing with it? An honest evaluation of YOUR anticipated needs and uses will answer your question.

s4s4u

Hunter
StonewallRuger":3jyguh2g said:
I'm going to buy a SP101 with a 2.5" barrel soon, and I am going to use it for a CCW/range gun. Should I get one with a hammer or one with a bobbed hammer?

I apply a rule that goes for everything "it is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"

Everyone shoots more accurately in single action than double action. If you should ever need to put that slug on a small target to save my life, I'd like you shooting single action. Hammers have never been a bother to me.

A bobbed hammer is better than no hammer at all, IMO.

I had Alan Harton reshape mine so I can still use it SA but it slips out of a pcket much easier.
SP101003.jpg

patcannon

Single-Sixer
StonewallRuger":1dkbxvml said:
I'm going to buy a SP101 with a 2.5" barrel soon, and I am going to use it for a CCW/range gun. Should I get one with a hammer or one with a bobbed hammer?
Well first, I bet you're more likely going to buy an SP101 with a 2.25" barrel. :)

Anyway, if you want to know my opinion about a hammer spur on a snubby, just see the photo below, of all the guns I own at the moment.

The advantage of a spurless revolver is that it makes your gun DAO, and double-action is the way defensive shooting is done. If your gun is DAO, you'll shoot it DA when you go to the range, and so, you'll learn to shoot it DA like you should. Some day down the road if you need to take a long shot, you'll find out that you CAN shoot DA accurately, because you've practiced it. And you won't ever waste any time deciding which mode to use in which situation.

If your gun has a hammer spur, you'll thumb-cock it at the range to be more accurate with less practice, because it's more fun to hit the bullseye easier, and you'll maybe plan on to doing some DAO practice some other day.

Hammer spurs are for cowboy guns!

rugers800fi7.jpg

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
I've never owned a revolver without a hammer spur.

Never will if I have my way.

I practice shooting both ways, and have never seen any advantage in a bobbed h ammer.

But, when I buy a revolver, I buy it to fit my shooting needs. I see no need to change my style of shootiong to fit the gun.

Isn't it great to have a choice?

Daryl

as Robbs picture shows, thats "How" we've always done it, so YOU at least have somewhat of an "option" to use , and YES, you will ,from time to time..this just helps for carry, little or no 'snag'...but when it comes to actual shooting, I feel better to have the option......
yes, always two schools of thought, but we are asked ALL the time by owners with the "NO Hammer" on getting a 'spur hammer' they do NOT like it ..."at the range".........but "then again" for carry.....
Shop the deal and get the one you can get the best price on..........try it out, use it, and later on "change your mind"......( you can ALWAYS "finish" off the shortened bob job if you want & need, but tough to make the spur "grow back"......Just our .02 cents

A

Anonymous

I find the Smith 442 with it's concealed hammer to be a fine carry choice and for slow fire shooting, you would be amazed at how accurate it is.. know I was. 8) [/i]

booneh

Bearcat
my 2 3/4 inch. security six had a spurless hammer for years.it was not dao.it has a flat on top of the hammer that is checkered.you can pull the hammer back a little and then thumb cock it.
if i where buying a new revolver i would buy the spured hammer and bob it and checker the top.
just my $.02

booneh

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
This is another side of the coin. If I carry in a pocket. When I reach for the gun I will have it in my hand before it ever starts out of my pocket. I will have my hand around the grip and my finger on the trigger and my thumb on top of the hammer as it's drawn out of the pocket. The hammer spurr won't hang on anything with my thumb on top of it. A 101 without the spurr is a dao pistol one with a spurr is either way. When I pull the trigger I want to hit where I aim not pull off target trying to squeeze the trigger all the way through while trying to keep the sights on target. I shoot pistols a lot and hardly ever use the double action mode but it's there if the need arises. I have 2 sp101's and both have the hammer spurs. I wouldn't want one without it but that's only my opinion and my thoughts on this.

RockyMtnDan

Bearcat
I vote for a bobed hammer spur. yyu don't want to get the hammer caught in your shirt when you draw but at the same time being forced to use DA on longer shots will reduce your accuracy without lots and lots of practice.

deac45

Single-Sixer
Guess I'm the odd man out here as I actually prefer shooting DA. With the Ruger action the cylinder locks up long before the hammer falls. This makes it very easy to stage your DA trigger stroke. Pull until the cylinder locks up, pause a moment to fine tune sight alignment, continue pull until the shot breaks. Now, in a pure self defense situation there's no time for that...but on the range, just shooting for fun, it's amazing how much your DA accuracy goes up after learning the technique.

deac45

patcannon

Single-Sixer
What deac45 says.

Also, I like a true DAO gun, not just a bobbed hammer. That is, one with no SA notch in the hammer,
because that way, you'll never find yourself in a stressful situation clutching a 2-pound trigger in your sweaty
shaking hand. Plus, you'll never have to deal with decocking.

I've had both a hammer spur SP101 and a spurless hammer DAO SP101. The double action only one is my favorite for concealed carry and all around I think.

Practice with it at the range is a good thing.

383595239.jpg

383602885.jpg

I've never snagged the hammer while drawing. This SP101 and my S&W 642 are the only "snag proof" revolvers I own.

All the others (S&W's, Rugers & Colts) have hammer spurs...never snagged those either but the chance of doing so is much greater I would think.

I try to remember to put my thumb on the hammer while drawing. Not to cock it, but to keep it from snagging.

Richbaker

Blackhawk
I've got the DAO SP, and I can hit very accurately out to ~50 yards.... the trigger is very easy to "stage" and refine your sight picture before pulling it that final bit to release. Dry fire helps immensely to get the hang of "staging" the trigger... I've probably dry-fired mine 1000 times or more.

Latest posts