Haitian slab pour

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rugerbh73

Bearcat
I am trying to learn to post pictures on the forum. I'll attempt to post a couple from my family's trip to Haiti last year (it's all I have on this computer). The group we went with are in the process of building a school. The slab they're pouring will be for living quarters to be used by missionaries and volunteers when they visit.

The hill in the first picture is much steeper than it appears. I had a hard time keeping my footing while walking down. The workers mixed concrete on the ground with shovels, just behind the aggregate pile. Other workers carried the concrete up the hill in 5 gallon buckets (about 100 yds). You can see in the second picture how they poured. Sort of like a bucket line to put out fires in the old westerns. There may be 10 or 15 people walking up and down the hill with buckets while they poured. When it was about dark (close to quitting time) all the workers for that day would line up. It was a solid line of people from the mixing area to the pour. Full buckets going up and empty buckets coming down.

There is an extreme lack of jobs in Haiti. These people would gang up in the road, bucket in hand, before daylight in hopes of getting a days work. The lucky ones got to labor until dark for $5/day. Some of the workers were working so that their children could attend the school.

One lady dropped a 5 gallon bucket of water on her foot. We had a doctor in our group so I went to get him to check on the lady. He told the translator to ask her if she wanted to try and keep the toenail or pull it off. She said to pull it off. I saw her later carrying conctete up the hill with a big ball of bandage wrapped around her toe. There are some knuckle heads in Haiti that get a lot of press, but most of the people I met were hard working and tough.

hill.jpg

cementpour.jpg

That is the way it is done in much of the world. When I taught in the Bahamas as a short term missionary we mixed concrete on a piece of plywood and used the bucket brigade as well. The gravel, it came from those kids who got in trouble and were given some goggles and a hammer and sat down on a pile of big rocks to make them into gravel sized pieces.

Joe S.

Hunter
incredible! i wish people in the USA had a work ethic like that! our welfare system wouldnt be so abused!

You hit the nail on the head with your comment about the work ethic in many other parts of the world. This last June my wife and I went to Peru where we did some framing in a families home but most importantly we travelled up the Amazon to a farm and taught the people how to install a septic system. They not only dug every ditch and the 6' deep hole for the 675 gallon tank but they hauled over 20 cubic yards of gravel by 5 gallon buckets from an island in the middle of the river. They filled the buckets, carried them to a boat, boated up river to the farm then packed them up the muddy 15' tall bank then back to the job site and dumped them, one at a time. With 5-6 Peruvians and 3-4 of the rest of us they installed a complete system with over 200' of leach lines in less than two days. Try that here at home with your average worker.