Hair Trigger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I got an old model Super in a trade with a fellow forum member. He told me it
had a sweet trigger. I guess it is actually too sweet for my liking had a couple
unintended discharges. Maybe a bubba trigger job I don't know, any help wil be
appreciated. ps

cadillo

Blackhawk
Put it on a trigger pull gauge. I like my single actions with a pull at or just under 2 lbs. I can shoot a heavier pull, but the lighter ones are really sweet.

If it's too light and unpredictable, you need to look at the full cock notch on the hammer. If it is intact a heavier trigger return spring may help along with another mainspring, both of which may have been replaced with lighter aftermarket types. I would also look at the sear, which may have been Bubba'd.

contender

Ruger Guru
+1 to cadillo.
The first thing I'd do is check it with a pull gauge. I have an El Dorado that is so slick it feels like 3 ounces,, yet it measures 2-1/2 pounds.
If the gauge says it's under 2 pounds, then I'd look at springs & engagement of the sear & hammer.

SAJohn

Hunter
All of the above plus details on the discharges. Will the hammer fall off full cock from a bump or slap? If so the hammer to trigger sear angle has probably been messed with eliminating the slight hook. I hope not because I am sure you know that replacement hammers and triggers are not cheap.

I have done numerous trigger jobs on single action revolvers with no problems but I am always careful to just polish the sear surfaces without changing the angle. Also, I don't try to decrease the trigger travel distance nor change the springs.

All of my Old Models now have 2.5 to 3.0 lb smooth trigger pulls.

You can make a cheep trigger pull tool using a coat hanger and an analog scale.

SAJohn

Hunter
Another thought, if it is a safe trigger but just too light for your taste, replacing the trigger spring with a stronger one will increase the required pull force.

contender

Ruger Guru
I for one dislike the "hammer push off" type of test. If there isn't a problem,,, you can create one when trying to force off a hammer/sear engagement. I prefer to use the scales & dis-assembly methods. I also use a 10X magnifying loupe to study the parts.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
All the above suggestions are right on. You can chose the course of action but a complete tear down,cleaning and inspection would be the way I would go. There is no other way to know for sure that Bubba has not done any of his shade tree 'fixin' on an otherwise fine revolver.

Thanks so much to all.

I for one dislike the "hammer push off" type of test. If there isn't a problem,,, you can create one when trying to force off a hammer/sear engagement. I prefer to use the scales & dis-assembly methods. I also use a 10X magnifying loupe to study the parts.

No trigger pull gauge so I will attempt this and see what happens. just was wondering how much push
should I apply. The trigger is so light I never let anyone shoot it. Thanks again. ps

I tried the "push off test" did not hit the hammer with the heel of my hand or anything.
I used my thumb and gradually increase pressure till I had a fair amount on it, it held up passed as far as I can tell.
I have Kunhouzens (spellin lol) book I'll try to figure things out.
May try a new spring. Thanks ps

Prescut

Single-Sixer
Once again, Contender is right on with that 10X loop magnifier suggestion. It is amazing what you can see when you get up close and personal. Even slight rubbing can be seen easily. You may think you can see everything fine until you try this.

Prescut