Had good morning yesterday

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A friend called a week or so ago to see if I could help a lady dispose of the guns and such that her late husband had collected over the years. Went there yesterday morning.

Lots of guns, ammo, reloading stuff. Got through everything and knew it was just too much for me to handle on a consignment basis and she wanted to get everything sold pretty quickly. Referred her to an auctioneer who I know that does a lot of estate auctions with guns and gets good crowds. She is going to go this route because she is probably going to sell most of the stuff in the house including the house and acreage (7 wooded acres) and move to a smaller place. Took me about 3 hours to inventory the gun stuff and I might have missed some of it (she kept taking me different places and said, oh, here's some more (ammo, components, older reloading gear). Told her to tell me when the auction was and I'd let my customers know (and I'll be there also).

Well, there were only 3 Rugers and I expressed interest in them and a few Ruger odds and ends. She told me to get what I wanted and she'd sell it all to me at a good price for helping her. When she gave me the price I said no, everything is worth more than that, but she was adament so I paid her. For $800 I got:

Security Six, blue, 2 3/4" barrel .357 mag 1980 model, very good to excellent

KP89DC, stainless, 9mm, 3-15 rnd mags, 1991, very good to excellent

BKH36, .357 Mag, 6 1/2", Flattop, s/n 385xx (1961), Micro rear sight, Alcoa XR3 grips (not much wear on the backstrap), UNCONVERTED. Have to go with good, some holster wear on muzzle and ERH, turn line (not bad), unoriginal grips, rust (pretty bad) on one part of the cylinder, maybe 10-15%. Probably from how it was laying for who knows how long (it will get the oil/0000 steel wool, but might have to reblue the cylinder only). Not sure what I'm going to do with it as It is my first flattop (trade material maybe
:o
)

Single Six .22 Mag cylinder in the red felt bag, very, very good condition, no turn line, no numbers on front, solid rear, 1.625" length (probably will go up for sale)

Jay Scott Grips, Model 61. Box reads: 61, Laminated Stag, Convertible Single Six, XR3 Red Frame, .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum and still has the Guarantee certificate inside. Never mounted.(probably go up for sale or trade for original grips for the flattop)

Oh, yeah, all the guns were loaded so I got the ammo too
:)

Pretty good morning I'd say
IMG 0168
IMG 0169
IMG 0173
IMG 0175
IMG 0177
IMG 0178

Firsttimegrampa

Single-Sixer
A friend called a week or so ago to see if I could help a lady dispose of the guns and such that her late husband had collected over the years. Went there yesterday morning.

Lots of guns, ammo, reloading stuff. Got through everything and knew it was just too much for me to handle on a consignment basis and she wanted to get everything sold pretty quickly. Referred her to an auctioneer who I know that does a lot of estate auctions with guns and gets good crowds. She is going to go this route because she is probably going to sell most of the stuff in the house including the house and acreage (7 wooded acres) and move to a smaller place. Took me about 3 hours to inventory the gun stuff and I might have missed some of it (she kept taking me different places and said, oh, here's some more (ammo, components, older reloading gear). Told her to tell me when the auction was and I'd let my customers know (and I'll be there also).

Well, there were only 3 Rugers and I expressed interest in them and a few Ruger odds and ends. She told me to get what I wanted and she'd sell it all to me at a good price for helping her. When she gave me the price I said no, everything is worth more than that, but she was adament so I paid her. For $800 I got:

BKH36, .357 Mag, 6 1/2", Flattop, s/n 385xx (1961), Micro rear sight, Alcoa XR3 grips (not much wear on the backstrap), UNCONVERTED. Have to go with good, some holster wear on muzzle and ERH, turn line (not bad), unoriginal grips, rust (pretty bad) on one part of the cylinder, maybe 10-15%. Probably from how it was laying for who knows how long (it will get the oil/0000 steel wool, but might have to reblue the cylinder only). Not sure what I'm going to do with it as It is my first flattop (trade material maybe
)

Single Six .22 Mag cylinder in the red felt bag, very, very good condition, no turn line, no numbers on front, solid rear, 1.625" length (probably will go up for sale)

Jay Scott Grips, Model 61. Box reads: 61, Laminated Stag, Convertible Single Six, XR3 Red Frame, .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum and still has the Guarantee certificate inside. Never mounted.(probably go up for sale or trade for original grips for the flattop)

View attachment 3328View attachment 3329View attachment 3330View attachment 3331View attachment 3332View attachment 3333
Somebody's living right ..

Ride1949

Single-Sixer
That Security Six alone is worth what you gave for all of it. Congratulations. Looks like Christmas came early at your house.

Believe it or not, I really did try to give her more money but she wouldn't hear of it "since you helped me". When the auction happens I'll be there to watch and to buy several things I saw (not just gun related, he was a wood worker also and they had a lot of cast iron including wood burning stoves and heaters). He had huge amounts of ammo and a lot of reloading components and gear.

Here the guns what will go to auction:
Win Mod 37 single shot 20 ga VG-E
Marlin 1894 .357 Mag 18 1/2" VG-E
Marlin 1894 .44 Mag 18 1/2" VG-E
Marlin 57M (lever) .22 WMR G-VG
Savage Mod 19 NRA .22LR VG-E
Ithaca Mod 37 16 ga, G-VG
Savage Mod 67 series E (pump) 12 ga G
Western Arms (Ithaca, NY) SxS, 12 ga G
Ithaca SxS 12ga G
Win Mod 70 .270Win (s/n starts w/ G123xxxx) VG
Mauser-Bauer Mod 3000 .243 VG-E
.50 Cal percussion muzzle loader, could not see a brand s/n? K7993
Unknown manf could see no markings visible since he had a lot of 30-40 Krag assume that is the chambering
IMG 0150
IMG 0152

Last edited:
Sounds like the above is correct, you did help her and this was her way of repaying you. I’m sure if her husband were still around he would agree.

But yet again, another case of someone dies and the spouse is left to sort out values etc. I remember the last time this was discussed, you mentioned several reputable auction houses.

I’ve got a ways to go yet, but as gun prices keep going up, this is an important part of buying a gun…how to sell it “after.”

blume357

Hawkeye
For years I wanted a stubby security six like that to complete my collection.... I had two one with a 6" barrel and one with a 4" barrel.... the problem is I gave the 4" one away this past weekend. I've developed a new tradition... I give gifts on MY birthday to friends.

Great deal Ron and thanks for helping the lady out.

jimbo1096

Buckeye
Ron, glad you were able to help her out. Pass on the auction info when you can. I'd like to see how it's handled and what is offered.

Johnnu2

Buckeye
What goes around, comes around..... Everyone won on that one and you took lots of stress off of the widow lady. Nicely done.

J.

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer

)

View attachment 3328View attachment 3329View attachment 3330View attachment 3331View attachment 3332View attachment 3333
You must live right. What a great find. You helped her and she was appreciative. Good deal both ways.

Well, I stopped back this week for several reasons, The main reason I went is that she called and said a big hickory tree came down in a storm last week. She knows I have a wood burner and figured I could have the wood. This wasn't a big hickory, it was a BIG hickory, the diameter of the trunk near the base is at least 4 foot. The tree was actually pulled from the ground so I suspect a microburst did the damage. Nothing else was hurt, house /garage/out buildings were unharmed. Well, I had to pass on the tree, it would have taken me probably 2 weeks of 8 hour days to limb it and get it cut up and then a lot of 40 mile round trips to get it all back to my place. She contacted a few paces that sell firewood and they are coming out to take a look.

The other reason was I found a buyer for the 2 Marlin 1894's so I got them and will pay her when the money comes in. She asked if there was anything I might be interested in (she has not signed a auction contract yet). Well, I looked around and decided on some CCI primers. My estimate is they are 20 years old (marking he put on one box) but they have been kept in his temperature/humidity controlled gun safe so I think they should be ok (I have primers from 1990 that still are fine). She told me not to pay her until I was sure they were ok and to pay her what he would have bought them for in 2000, so I need to do some research. Here's what I got:
2000 Large Rifle
2000 Small Rifle
2000 Small Pistol Magnum
4000 Small Pistol

Will probably be going back next week to pay her and there is someone interested in the Ithaca Model 37 so I'lll pick it up. And to see what is happening with the tree.

Edit - didn't have to research the primer cost. Several of the boxes had the price sticker on. Ready? in 2002, 1000 CCI primers were $12.95 :)

Last edited:

Latest posts