Had a surprise yesterday

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Grandson's birthday gift of an elk hunt brought forth another surprise(and challenge). As younger Son was leaving the family gathering, he told me he wanted a spot on our next elk hunt. He hasn't hunted since moving to Iowa but after getting a full time job and building up some vacation time, he's wanting back in the game. I still have the last rifle I set up for him which is a 'good enough' elk rifle (Savage 7mm08). All it needs is the 'assisted sighting device' re-mounted and zeroed.
Oh, for those not familiar with our situation, younger Son is BLIND. He's the reason I'm the blind hunter guru and sponsor of the blind Veteran deer hunt a couple years back. I'm hoping the outfitter we're trying is a good one and willing to make a couple of accommodations.

Simmonsburg

Single-Sixer
We often take moments like this for granted for these are what we should live for, I hope you guys have a great time and make sure you post some photos.

This year we're on another 'first time' trip with an unknown outfitter. We got taken for a pony ride last year by an outfitter who wasn't quite what he said he was. I have more confidence in the rancher we're hunting with this year.
I prefer cow elk hunts since it's just as much fun(maybe more since there's less pressure), the meat is good, and the landowner tags assure no disappointment in a tag draw. New Mexico has a good landowner tag program and is fairly easy access from our MidWest location.
I've done cow elk hunts in NM 4 of the past 5 years with my only tag soup being 2021. I've done my time hunting in -20 temps, sucking thin air @10,000' elevations, 3 mile hikes just to get close to elk country, and all that so I have no qualms with walking 100 yards from the guide's pickup and ambushing an elk sneaking away from a hayfield at first light.