H4227 / IMR4227

Help Support Ruger Forum:

oldies

Single-Sixer
Am pretty sure this has come up before, but here goes. Was told that these two powders were the same burning
rate. While they look the same as far as texture and granulation, my old Lee powder measure kit shows them to
be not close at all. Looks like these probably would not be close in behavior either.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Hodgdon said they not exactly the same but there are folks that SEEM to think they know more than the people who make/distribute it. I always use data that matches the manufactures brand designation. With a large library of load manuals, that is not difficult.

stevemb

Hunter
I'm thinking they were two different approaches to fill a niche, by two different suppliers. Hence the shared numerals in the designation. I would not consider them same/same.. Stay safe folks.

Slenk

Single-Sixer
H4227 is supposed to be the same as the new IMR 4227 that is made in Australia.
The old IMR (Blue Label) That I have is made in Canada and not the same as new IMR 4227.
Some of the Loading Manuals I have, have both listed.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Oldies.... just looked at an on-line powder burn rate chart, which lists 267 powders. Win 231 and HP-38 are separated by two powders, yet HP-38 and 231 both are Win 231. Win 296 and H110 likewise are separated by two other powders, yet both are Win 296. Another example, Win 760 and H414 both are Win 760.

While I've never heard IMR 4227 and Hodgdon 4227 are the same, one mimics the other in my experience. I interchanged the them in silhouette while maintaining the same sight dope. While not a "test," it should suffice as evidence. During one international championship I loaned my Freedom Arms M83 10" .44 magnums to a couple of foreign shooters. The shooters would have to walk up to the firing line cold, using my sight dope, and hope to immediately make contact and not have to chase the last shots, always a losing proposition.

I secured the necessary Sierra 240 JHC's----and a bag of "the other 4227." Worked fine, with the shooters turning their best performances ever.
David Bradshaw

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
You found an old burn rate chart on the internet, that can happen. The newest charts show your first three examples as being next to each other and they are now the same.

jbntx

Single-Sixer
Last week Hodgdon answered my e-mail asking if H4227 and IMR4227 were the same.
They said the two powders are NOT the same but load data can be interchanged if you start with the minimum charge and work up.

Latest posts