H&R Shotgun help

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bill Rodolph

Bearcat
I understand there is a very knowledgeable H&R man here. I need help. I have had a gun come in the shop with failure to fire issues. Replaced broken transfer bar, still not working, replaced hammer spring, no help. Firing pin protrusion is good. All seems the way it should be.

The receiver is marked Made in Gardner and has an AY serial number. The barrel is marked as a model 88 Topper in 410. The barrel lug has no numbers on it and I have been led to believe it should be marked with the last 3 digits of the serial number. It does have a "T" on one side and what looks to be a "P" on the other side of the barrel lug. I am beginning to believe that this is not the original barrel. Is there anyway to know for sure?

Thanks for your help and allowing me to post!

bill

NikA

Buckeye

Johnnu2

Hunter
I understand there is a very knowledgeable H&R man here. I need help. I have had a gun come in the shop with failure to fire issues. Replaced broken transfer bar, still not working, replaced hammer spring, no help. Firing pin protrusion is good. All seems the way it should be.

The receiver is marked Made in Gardner and has an AY serial number. The barrel is marked as a model 88 Topper in 410. The barrel lug has no numbers on it and I have been led to believe it should be marked with the last 3 digits of the serial number. It does have a "T" on one side and what looks to be a "P" on the other side of the barrel lug. I am beginning to believe that this is not the original barrel. Is there anyway to know for sure?

Thanks for your help and allowing me to post!

bill
Quite a few years ago, I had a very old (1925 DOM) SXS shotgun that produced intermittent failures to fire. After many repair attempts, it turned out to be the pin/screw that the firing pin(s) pivoted on, was broken, but not enough to cause a catastrophic failure. A newly 'manufactured' pin/screw (by a real gunsmith, who actually found it for me) fixed the problem.

J