Gunsite Scout Problems-Beginning to End

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Wagonman012

Bearcat
Hello All, I know the problem with the GSR and ejecting has been covered many times but the posts I've seen are usually inquiries about the problem and the Original Poster doesn't ever update and let the forum know how the issue was resolved. My issues were just resolved so at the risk of being redundant I thought I'd post and let anyone who has the same problem get an idea of what to expect. I'll try to make it short.

In January I bought a GSR. This is my first rifle. First time at the range about 6 out of 10 cases were not ejecting. Instead they were just laying in the receiver on top of the next round in the magazine. I was using Ruger mags, steel and plastic, and shooting Fiocchi 150 Gr. FMJBT. I called Ruger customer service, which I've read was very good, and the woman tells me, "oh, you're using foreign ammo. Try using some American ammo and everything should be fine". I'm not an ammo expert but I know Fiocchi isn't bad ammo. I understand also that different brands of ammo can function differently in different firearms but there was a feeling of being blown off at the end of the conversation. Also, I've never mailed or shipped a firearm and the woman wouldn't even answer my question about the procedure for shipping the rifle back if I had to return it.

I buy some good ol' American ammo ( Winchester, Remington, Federal, Hornaday ) and even a box of PMC ( S.Korean ) and go back to the range. Shot a mag of each and the same thing happens, but worse. Easily 7 to 10 rounds a mag just laying in the receiver.

Back to the phone. I call Ruger back and explain the problem again. I explain several times that the cases are being EXTRACTED but not EJECTED. Despite this the guy I talked to kept telling me I had an extractor problem. He offered to send me a new extractor and told me there is a video on Rugers web site showing how to replace the extractor. He suggests I watch it and if I can handle the repair myself call back and they'll send an extractor. I go to the web site. Can't find the video.

Call number three. I get a woman that directs me to the videos. I find a video explaining how to remove the bolt and how to remove the firing pin assembly from the bolt but nothing on how to remove the extractor.

Call number four. Now I go from aggravated to angry. I explain the problem again and tell the man this is my fourth call about this problem. The first words out of his mouth are, "send it back, we'll fix it".

Once Ruger received the rifle the turn around was one day. This worried me. I expected that Ruger tested the rifle, it worked, and they just sent it back. The other possibility was that this is such a common problem that once they get the GSR's they just swap out certain parts and follow a protocol. I believe now the latter is true. When I get the rifle back the packing slip states, " New Ejector, Repaired Bolt, Chamber Polished". I guess it wasn't the extractor after all!

Back to the range. I put about sixty rounds through the rifle and not one failure to eject. The rifle even ejected that weird Italian ammo ( Fiocchi ) I was warned about six feet. The GSR has been fun to shoot but now it's even better.

Ruger was the only company that I've ever had any brand loyalty to. I own four Ruger revolvers and a pistol but the experience has left me a little apprehensive about Ruger rifles. More the experience with customer service than the defect in the rifle but to that point if the remedy was simple enough to only require a one day turn around then why doesn't Ruger just manufacture the rifles properly the first time and avoid the hassle of having to fix them. Yes, I understand that it's most likely less expensive for Ruger to do it this way but for the few dollars a rifle it would take to manufacture them properly the first time Ruger could make that up in repeat sales. I was considering buying an AR-556 for my wife but now I'm not too sure. I haven't done any homework on the AR-556 yet, it might be a fine rifle but you have to figure, if Ruger is cutting corners on one product they are cutting corners on others. Then I'd have to call customer service again.

I hope this helps anyone who is having the same issues I had. Remember, if you have to call customer service tell them that you were shooting good old fashioned God fearing American ammo and you might get faster service. Also, make sure the person you are talking to at the company that made the rifle knows the difference between extracting and ejecting.

DM

DGW1949

Hunter
Welcome to the Forum, and thanks for the report.
Hopefully that'll be the end to your GSR problems.

DGW

My last rifle purchase, nearing number maybe 80. Was a ruger hawkeye FTW. I did my normal thing. I clean it and take the barrel/action off and check everything out. I seen a crack in the stock at the front trigger screw. I guessed what happened, the machine that the person used to set that screw used to much power. Anyway, no phone call I just send it back 3 days after I purchased it. I explained where and what the problem was. I got it back with a replaced stock in about 3 weeks. Really no point in phoning someone over a factory defect or broken part.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I've had to talk to Ruger's CS a couple of times for mostly minor problems and never had any of their representatives try to blow me off or tell me it's my fault. Almost all were understanding and helpful. It's too bad you ran into three that didn't (or wouldn't) understand your problem and it took a fourth call to get it straightened out.

BTW, my GS Scout (stainless, left-handed in .223/5.56) had a minor trigger problem that I could have straightened out myself with a bit of guidance but my call to Ruger's CS got an immediate reply of "Send it back and here's the prepaid return label." Turnaround was about a week and it's been great ever since.

gunzo

Buckeye
Ruger CS blew me off on a GP100 issue. Surprised me so much at the time that I let them talk me into trying some kind of BS first. Really caught me off guard. Thought about the situation, got my mind right & called them back. Didn't read them the riot act or anything, just told them what the problem was, how I knew what the problem was, & that the gun shouldn't be like that. They agreed & said no problem, a pre paid shipping label is on the way. I said thank you.
In their usual fashion the gun was repaired in a timely manner & returned. I think nowadays that they are directed to have the customer try to resolve their own issues on the first call, which is probably successful in many situations. I have read a few times where someone sent their gun back for what seemed to be some really picky stuff. But wanting the rifle to eject ain't being picky. Glad the you got it fixed, the GSR's are really neat. 8)

rangerbob

Buckeye
I have to add my 2 cents worth. First of all, a lot of Fiocchi ammo is loaded in the US at their plant stateside. I had received a M77 Hawkeye Compact magnum in .338 RCM from one of my distributors. When I took it out of the box the first time and cycled the action a few times, a wood chip flew off the stock in the top tang area, Not a big chip, but enough to make the stock unsightly. Finally,I got around to calling Ruger about it. The guy I spoke with asked about my FFL which was not on file with them. I sent in my FFL and in a week had a new stock which fit precisely and I still have the other stock. My current FFL went into effect March 1, 2017 and I received a call from "Betty" at Ruger asking me to send in my renewed FFL which I e-mailed to them. At least Betty is taking care of business. I bought my 308 Scout as soon as I could lay my hands on one in 2011, no problems with it. Bob!! :D

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Glad you got the problem fixed. Sometimes Ruger's customer service people on the phone are not expert in all Ruger's firearms, who could be?

I have had to replace two broken ejectors in two different rifles (not Rugers) in the last year. Stuff happens and things get out the door without proper testing but that is normal these days for almost any firearms manufacturer.

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
"Yes, I understand that it's most likely less expensive for Ruger to do it this way..."
Maybe, but only until folks begin to get the notion that "Rugged and Reliable" no longer applies to Ruger.

cleardatum

Single-Sixer
i bought a bisley 454 that had to go back several times, and it still needs to go back. when i first got it, the barrel was horrible. the bore looked really terrible. jagged holes, pits, flakes of torn stainless- ugly! i sent it back, and it came back with a slightly better barrel, but the front sight was askew. back again, for another barrel replacement, and some excuses and apologies. this time the barrel still looked krappy, and the hole for the base pin lock screw had not been drilled. at that point, i gave up, and fixed it myself. no more new rugers for me.

Wagonman012

Bearcat
cleardatum said:
i bought a bisley 454 that had to go back several times, and it still needs to go back. when i first got it, the barrel was horrible. the bore looked really terrible. jagged holes, pits, flakes of torn stainless- ugly! i sent it back, and it came back with a slightly better barrel, but the front sight was askew. back again, for another barrel replacement, and some excuses and apologies. this time the barrel still looked krappy, and the hole for the base pin lock screw had not been drilled. at that point, i gave up, and fixed it myself. no more new rugers for me.

Sorry to hear that. The more I read I think PriseDeFer's quote that "rugged and reliable no longer applies to Ruger" is truer than I thought.

curmudgeon

Bearcat
I bought a Ruger Gunsite Scout shortly after they came out. I fired it 10 times and put it away. Once in a while, I would take it out and practice cycling the bolt. Naturally, I tried to cycle it as fast as I could. The scout rifle role could entail the need to quickly cycle the bolt and fire again. That is where I discovered a problem. When cycling the bolt quickly, the bolt would sometimes hand up. I think I discovered the reason. There is excessive play in the bolt to receiver fit. If you apply upward or downward pressure, the bolt can bind and get stuck. If you have any experience with quickly cycling the bolt on a bolt action rifle, you know it is almost impossible not to apply any upward or downward pressure. I contacted Ruger and they said they wanted to see the rifle. I took it to my gun dealer for them to send it back to Ruger. What he said bout Ruger Customer Service was not reassuring. All I can do is hope for the best. Now we wait.

gunzo

Buckeye
curmudgeon,
If Ruger finds a problem, there is a good chance it will be corrected, the first time.

If they don't find a problem, then it might be related to the nature of the Mauser style action, in particular a new one that hasn't been polished or used extensively like the originals, & all of this type are pretty loose at the rear of stroke. When they are being operated quickly, they refuse to be manhandled. Force the bolt or grab it with your fist, & they will bind. The smooth, round bolt knob on those need to be "palmed". Distinct up, roll hand then back, roll hand, etc., etc. This sounds slow, but with practice comes speed. Worth a try?

Good luck with the Scout rifle & welcome to the forum.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
PriseDeFer said:
"Yes, I understand that it's most likely less expensive for Ruger to do it this way..."
Maybe, but only until folks begin to get the notion that "Rugged and Reliable" no longer applies to Ruger.

Hi,

It's a simple concept: you paid good money for a gun that works, straight out of the box. If you got that, you also received good customer service.

On the other hand, if you paid that same good money and got a gun that doesn't work, you did not receive good customer service, and no amount of crowing about how great the company's customer service is when you have to send the gun back to get it to work, as it should have out of the box, changes that. Covering up the fact the company didn't do their job the first time, like you paid for, does not good customer service make. And no excuses from the company or its apologists about whatever buzz term they parrot from the biz school whiz kids as an excuse for their latest "We don't need inspectors" QC regimen, or how "It's a manufactured product so you can expect defects" hold a drop of water for the guy who got a bad one. Perhaps the concept might take on a new meaning if the doc just put a pacemaker in you that had to come out and go back to the mfr!

As for the customer fixing what the factory didn't do right? What's the matter with anyone who'd think that's a good idea?

Got one that works? Keep it! Got one that doesn't? Don't fool around, send it back right now and remind them what you paid for, so if it's not perfect when it's returned, they'll get it again. Your time without your new gun should be worth something to you...

Rick C

Coyote Hunter

Single-Sixer
Sometimes I swear I'm the only guy that gets good Ruger rifles. Have purchased several Hawkeyes and all have been great. as have been my MKII's and M77's. Got a safe full of them.

Did have a M77 .257 Roberts that decided to have a bolt issue, some 25 years after it was made. Ruger fixed it in a few days, no charge.

tech0159

Bearcat
Just tested my new GS rifle chambered in 5.56 and what a piece of garbage. Rifle does not feed or eject and sometimes doesn't even extract. I am using new Federal ammo with the Ruger factory steel magazine. Seems like a bad bolt to me but I am new to bolt guns..any thoughts?

Thanks,

exavid

Hunter
I'm surprised I have three Ruger rifles, 10/22, Mini14, and a AR. All work just as they should. Never had a problem with any of them including my three Ruger pistols.

tech0159

Bearcat
Ruger shipped the rifle back to me today, so I'll see what they fixed, if anything. I give their response time 5 stars but the jury is still out on their quality control...

tech0159

Bearcat
Rifle was returned today. According to Ruger, they replaced the ejector, repaired the bolt - and tightened the screw that holds the barrel into the stock. Seems like a lot of things weren't checked before this rifle left the factory. Ruger did however, fix the issue and ship the rifle back within three days of receiving it, so kudos to them for the fast turnaround. I'll be testing it tomorrow but all seems to be well at this point.

Latest posts