gunsight scout rifle optic W red dot

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Garth69

Single-Sixer
I want to use my iron sights but have an optic with a dot or illuminated reticle for low light or fast acquisition shots. It has to be a long eye relief scope unless I change to another base. Anyone have any experience with a set up like this? Or suggestions for a better setup? Thanks.

greyrush

Bearcat
garth69, I am no expert, but, the Vortex Crossfire II red dot has a tall frame mount that would allow you to use the iron sights (ie., looking thru the red dot frame mount). I just recently put this red dot on a Mini-30 on a forward rail and it does work. Granted, the red dot optic will be mounted a good inch and a half above the barrel and you'll have to take that into account, but it is quite easy to use either the iron sights or the red dot sight. There are most likely scope rings that would allow the same pass-thru for iron sight use with a long eye relief scope, but, it seems to me that you're getting things a bit more complicated than they need to be. /shrug.

The higher you mount a optical sight or scope you loose your cheek weld and need to climb the stock to see through it and that will take many advantages away. If you can get a optical sight mounted like a AR and use the rifle sights through it would be best.
I believe after you shoot with a good optical sight you will learn of all the advantages and not care or use the rifle open sights any longer. If not get a scope or optical sight that mounts with thumb screws and take it off if you really need to shoot using the rifle sights. The optical sights are so much more useful and faster to use than the rifle sights I doubt you will want them.

grobin

Blackhawk
SIG and Trificon have co-witness sight mounts an sights available. They are so if during an opration the optic fails you can still shoot. I don't find them very useful.

I certainly agree with the last post. I have several AR platforms, 1 is for a fighting (defensive carbine) use. On it, I use the Trijicon MRO with quick detach mount and flip up rifle sights. The only time I planned on using the rifle sights was to sight them it. The optical sight is just to darn good, 5 year battery and 1 extra carried in the grip. It can be removed in a couple seconds with a push of the release. That system is spendy, but I know it will not fail me.

gunzo

Buckeye
It seems you could get a dot that's low enough to sit on the scout rail & be able to use the irons by looking through the optic.
Wondering out loud, cause I don't know. I've got a Scout but no dot, I'd like to try that.

Not what you want to hear but decide on a sight system and stick with it---doodling back and forth will often end with indecision and missed opportunities.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I used a $45 re-branded red dot mounted bareback on the front of the rail, for years. It gave more consistent accuracy than I expected. Made venison a couple times and it still will.