Guns of "The Shootist" 1975

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ugly Hombre

Blackhawk
Decided to read the original novel from back in 1975- "The Shootist." I like the movie a lot- one of my favorites

The novel is really great- much darker and different than the movie. Probably most here- or many, have read it- it is a master work IMO.

However.. Books- the "Shootist" in the story, uses Remington double action revolvers with a safty catch in 1901.

What the hades??

Where did that come from? Anyone else bothered by that? Most of the novel is fantastic and accurate in historical detail to a T.

I know , I know- but as a old west firearms buff it bugs me.

Thoughts on the matter?

wizofwas

Buckeye
Must be the "safty catch" that gets you? Because Remington did make a DA revolver in 36 cal. percussion/38 cal. cartridge from 1863-1875. Just a quick check on google let me know that.

eveled

Hunter
I have always been fascinated by the transition period, just before WWI. The Shootist is a good example, an old gun fighter walking around, and new technology popping up all around him. Guy's who fought in the Civil war, got to see the first cars. If Books had lived ten more years, he could have been fighting with a brace of 1911's. They transitioned from muzzle loading guns, to machine guns. Must have been such an exciting time to live through.

I also have been mystified by writers who seem to have so little knowledge of what they are writing about.

coach

Hunter
While they sometimes bug me, I tend to to let the firearms flubs go in the nobody can be right all the time file. Between keeping track of characters and plots and then add in editors, proof readers and less than expert researchers, I can see how it happens. When dealing with the whole, it's sometimes easy not to notice all the little parts.

Ugly Hombre

Blackhawk
"Remington did make a DA revolver in 36 cal. percussion/38 cal. cartridge from 1863-1875."

Did not know that- I will look for it again, I did google it when I was reading the book- did not find it.

http://www.rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/57/lid/3142

http://www.rockislandauction.com/photos/57/p_standard/HAB1726-S-CU15-H.jpg

I did find it 2nd time I looked! wow never knew that! thanks for posting!

Don't see a saftey though ha ha! The book is really good- if you like the movie you will enjoy it probably though as I said not a happy read- its a bit dark.

I still think some authors intentionally put "gun goofs" in their stories to see if we're paying attention. Several authors seem to go to great lengths to include the exact same, word-for-word, totally bogus gun descriptions in each of their works.

I have e-mailed a couple of these folks and inquired about this, but never received a response.

Ugly Hombre

Blackhawk
https://www.collegehillarsenal.com/shop/images/P/FHG-1435-Product.jpg

This pistol though rough- looks like the .45 nickle short barrel custom ones Books uses in the novel-

http://www.sothebys.com/content/dam/stb/lots/N09/N09150/169N09150_766BD.jpg

A very nice example- looks new!

That 2nd one is 'nice' if you showed it to me in person I'd be afraid to touch it.

I was reading a non spencer novel by Robert Parker and one of the clues at the murder where the person was shot two or three times was the ejected cartridge from a 38 revolver....

Ugly Hombre

Blackhawk
yeah- I have seen that a lot, I wonder if they are confusing 38 special with 380?

I guess every author/writer who uses weapons in his stories should have a gun nut friend to check things out for them. :)

Everybody can learn more- never knew about the DA Remingtons! Quite interesting!