gun storage bags

Help Support Ruger Forum:

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
Has anyone used the gun storage bags such as, Zerust VCI Firearm Protection Bags ???
I need to put some guns into long term storage and I want them to be protected, as I will not be able to check on them for periods of time...

Thanks in advance....

NikA

Buckeye
Haven't used bags, but have used VCI paper. Store lots of tools and reloading equipment with it and to me it seems to be effective. I check in about once a year to replace/add new papers, as the chemical inhibitor slowly evaporates. Would expect better results in sealed containers (most of mine are not airtight).

Never heard of them, but I just ordered the little bars. They call them “no rust vapor capsule.” 4 for $25. They say they will stop rust in a 2 foot radius for a year and a half.

I figure a couple spread around the safe sure won’t hurt.

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
My thought is that I would use the sealed bags, then place the guns in a sealed container, (large ammo can?). And hopefully I could leave them for months without worry.
As damp and humid as it gets here, I am always concerned about them. Blued guns and Alaska just don't mix....
I think I will try some of the bags and maybe the bars will be a good backup for the container...

NikA

Buckeye
In a truly sealed container, I'd recommend a couple desiccant bags or packs to bring the moisture level down as well. Can easily buy silica gel buy the pound/gallon if you don't want to pay a premium for prefab bags or packs. My packs are plastic containers with holes pricked at the top and around the bottom with an awl. Rotate the desiccant out once a year as well (can "recharge" in the oven when the weather is dry).

Joe Chartreuse

Single-Sixer
I use inexpensive Kylebooker bags for long guns, and toss in moisture absorber packs. hand guns in a lock box, also with moisture absorbers. Works fine, HOWEVER, if your gun has wooden stock/grips, etc... You need to keep the humidity at around 70% to keep the wood from drying out and cracking. For these, you may wish to invest in a humidity controlled container with meter, if you have the funds. If not, then just go with a gun sock sprinkled with a little silica from the packets.

Last edited:

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
I plan on using the VCI blocks instead of desicant.....
But the containers will be sealed.... If water and moisture can get in.. it will.. I have had issues with this before. I'm planning on military ammo cans for some, but I also have a large military surplus "battery box", made from heavy aluminum. It has 10 locking latches and is machined top and bottom for a tight fit with no gasket...
I have NO electricity, so any type of plug it in and go method is out.... My cabin is wood heat so there is little humidity this time of year. The perfect time for such a project. I have never had any problems with stocks cracking regardless, so I don't believe that will be an issue...