gun show

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Campbell8402

Bearcat
generally is it better to wait for a gun show to purchase a pistol? im looking for a very particular xd and cant find it anywhere!

wondering if i would have better model selection and price choices.

i asked on xd talk and no one seemed to care to answer just curious if anyone has any advice....

also do you guys prefer to shop your local shop or gun shows?

sicboy13

Single-Sixer
Gun shows are definitely worth checking out, IMHO.... you can find some great deals on everything, guns, ammo, acessories, etc.

As far as local gun shops vs. gun shows, I'd always prefer to give my business to the small, local guy, but in my area, that means taking off work to get to the LGS before he closes.

I'd say check out both your LGS and the gun show.... if you need some tickets to the gun show, I got your tickets right here *puffs up chest, flexes arms* I couldn't resist :)

kscott

Single-Sixer
I normally find better deals on most guns at my LGS, at least around here in the last few years. Although you could definitely find deals at shows. Most of the stuff I normally get at shows is accessories and stuff like that, but its a great place to get your hands on a much larger selection of guns than your LGS.

Just curious as to what particular model you are having trouble finding? Have you tried asking your LGS if he can get it or checking out online options such as budsguns.com or an auction site?

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
You might be able to handle models you normally wouldn't at a show, or get access to a dealer who has better pricing than your LGS. At the same time, the dealers don't discount things for the show, at least in my experience, so don't expect some sort of bargain basement pricing wars, or anything like that.

-- Sam

Vecco

Single-Sixer
In my area most of the gun show guns are more expansive then the LGS, BUT you can play with and hold allot of guns in one area and get an idea for guns you like or do not like. If your LGS don't not have the gun you are looking for ask if they can order it for you. I buy a lot of guns at Cabalas and they order guns for me all the time.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
I second what these guys said. My experience around here is that the Gun Shows are great if you're looking for a used gun you can't seem to find anywhere else, or you just want to see a lot of models that the LGS just doesn't have room to carry. I got a hell of a deal on an old Western Auto shotgun (rivate branded Mossy 500) on the bottom of a dealer's used rack, just because it needed a little work.
As far as new guns go, prices are usually higher at the show, but sometimes you'll get lucky. Most of the really good deals the exhibitors are offering you'll never see, other exhibitors will snatch them up on the setup day(s).
The gun stores around here are really good about ordering anything they don't have, some want a deposit, but some will order it without a deposit if they know and trust you. Once in a while there are some guns that they just can't get though, so you have to look elsewhere.

If it's a gun you want, an extra $50 at the gun show beats weeks or months with nothing in your hands.

around here, there are far LOTS more guns at ANY given gun show ,than at any of the dealers here...but you still gotta try and at least call around the LGS for what they may have in stock.....the shows around here also have LOTS of competition between dealers and there are "deals" to be had.
Just what model are you looking for??? My dealer carries quite a few of the different 'XD's but there are too many for me to even "think " about.......

Campbell8402

Bearcat
sorry it took me a bit to get back to you guys!

i have talked to every LGS in my neck of the woods and no body can get the particular model i want. thats why i was hoping to have more luck at the show.....

on that note what i want is the xd9 subcomact in od green. granted if i wanted all black or the black and stainless i could go buy one right this second. i have a rather large LGS right up the road from me (atp in summerville sc) but im picky! also none of the online guys have it in anything but 10 rd mags

mostly this is my first pistol and i most likely wont get to buy another one anytime soon (married)!

i figure if im going to buy im gonna get EXACTLY what i want and make sure i smile everytime i pick it up!

yep, checked with our dealer and thats all he has also, the XD9 compact and the XD9M compact, but in black, high caps mags, 13 round and the spare one is 16 rounds......he claims unable to get the OD and hard to even get these as of now.................

Campbell8402

Bearcat
i know this but of course it has to be the one i want...........i might just end up goin with the bi tone (black and stainless) or buyin the 10 round in od and eventually buying the 13 and 16 round mags.......i really like the 16 rd with the grip extension...

Al James

Hunter
Yeah I went to a Gun show yesterday and the one and only dealer that had an SR9c had it marked at $550 :shock: What a deal---$25 over retail!