Gun show visit soon. Stainless Old Army prices these days?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tallbald

Buckeye
I'm planning to attend a regional gun show soon. I'm seeing stainless Old Armys without box or papers selling for $600-$650. The one I have in mind is a 1978ish stainless specimen without the billboard on the barrel. Has a crisp bore, and would rate I believe at 90% or better. 7 1/2 inch adjustable sights, nice non-factory polish job externally. Rather worn walnut grip panels. Is that $600-$650 selling price a true current price range or am I seeing the high flukes? Thanks. Don.

k22fan

Blackhawk
In my area that condition would make a $500 ROA, give or take. Don't be too quick spending your money. Your $600 to $650 ought to buy one with the factory surface still in excellent condition.

contender

Ruger Guru
As with anything,,,, condition will dictate values,,, as well as demand. Study examples of guns that have sold & determine their condition and any special features that allows them to sell. Use that as a guide to actual selling prices.
I bought a used stainless OA, w/o factory grips, but with a Bianchi flap holster for the OA out the door for under $275 a few months back. At an auction.

Tallbald

Buckeye
I believe I'll price it at $600, and be willing to back down to $575. If there's no takers, I'll place it back into the safe with its three siblings until another day. Wife and I had to have CAT scans last week, and that's about what the combined insurance co-pays come to. Will just set up payment plans with the hospital. Remember kids..... your local hospital is there for the betterment of the community (HAHAHAHAHA!). Just ignore the Sunday newspaper's Master Commissioner's list of forced home sales to satisfy unpaid hospital and physician bills. Ignore the "man behind the curtain" kids! Shoulda been an illegal immigrant so it would have all been a free ride, but free rides are not how we were raised. Danged pride costing us money again. Rant off. Don.

Rclark

Hunter
Saw three a few weeks ago at a gun show. The prices as I recall were in the 500-600 dollar range. Some of the rarer models go for $800 or so. Lowest price of any of mine that I bought was $400.

Tallbald

Buckeye
Thank you all again. I'll see how the show turns out, and share what I find here just to pass along the information. I've not seen a stainless ROA in a shop or at a show for about 2 years now, but of course it could be I'm not at the right place at the right time. Don.

Rclark

Hunter
Was at the Butte Gun Show today. One table had 2 OAs . One Blued, and one SS. Another table had one too. All over $500. All were the common 7 1/2" variety.

steve8261948

Single-Sixer
To those who's opinion was lowball on price, Ruger quit making these several years back. They're probably the best black powder pistol made, a real farm implement.
Steve

contender

Ruger Guru
I fully agree that the OA is an excellent revolver & not made anymore. My point is CONDITION & rarity factors. I see them often in the $450-$550 range.
I got lucky at the auction,,, but the one I got also has pitting in places, and it's stainless.
Also,,, checking actual sale prices,,, not listing prices is a better indicator of values. I also know that a lot depends upon regions where the demands are different.

I own about 10 of them myself & look hard at any good condition ones for $400 or less.

I got a very nice deal on a used one,,, with a few minor issues from a Forum member recently and it was in that ballpark. He was very generous & gave me some "extras" I hadn't counted on to go along with it. It was very much appreciated!

Prescut

Single-Sixer
Go to Gunbroker.com
Click on the "Advanced" button beside the Search.
Click on the "Complete Auctions" tab.
Now enter the words "Ruger Old Army" and search.

You will get over 700 completed auctions (doesn't mean sold). Find the one like yours that sold. See the prices. See the high priced ones that didn't sell even after dozens of auctions (they are waiting for that one dumb sucker).

This is called Due Diligence. Do your homework.
Prescut

Hellraiser

Single-Sixer
k22fan said:
In my area that condition would make a $500 ROA, give or take. Don't be too quick spending your money. Your $600 to $650 ought to buy one with the factory surface still in excellent condition.

I'd say this fella... k22fan... knows his stuff. The most desirable ROA's... are fixed-sights. Only because the soon-to-be-extinct SASS shooters... have a thin and silly advantage... with the "Frontiersman" category. Heck... I have a couple of 'em myself... NIB... but that don't mean nothin'. I shoot '51 Navy replicas. A false sense of worth is not much to stand on...

IMG_0341_zpsclygsr9i.jpg

Tallbald

Buckeye
Just a comment. My loving wife remains ill, and I have decided to forego the gun show I planned to attend this weekend. Perhaps another time. Don.