Gun show today

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Huhwhat?

Blackhawk
The local arena was hosting a gun show today and tomorrow. Wife and I went in. Almost no reproduction black powder weapons or accessories. Lots of originals at prices I couldn't afford, including an original Philadelphia derringer I'd have loved to have for my collection, but too rich for my blood.

.22 ammo was all over the place at decent prices. Picked up 3 boxes of Federal Automatch, which our 10/22's love. There were a couple of dealers there who I pegged as guys who were snapping up the ammo for resale when it was in short supply and are now trying to make their money back. They had lots of .22, but their prices were twice what everyone else was selling for.

One thing I did notice was the large number of dealers who took checks and cash only. I can walk in to any podunk craft show in the state and almost everyone is set up to take credit cards, but not the gun shows. Makes me wonder how much more the guys would have sold if they did take credit/debit cards. The busiest dealers were the ones that did take credit/debit cards. The cash/check only guys were pretty dead.

contender

Ruger Guru
It's funny you mention cash vs. credit. Today's society has been PUSHED to use plastic. It's a way of the banks, the IRS etc to keep track of your finances if they wish. And with plastic,,, all too often people will spend more & worry about paying later. Miss Penny's boss is older but wired this way. In fact, his interest on his credit cards is somewhere around $800 monthly,,, and that's if he just pays the minimums. He NEVER gets ahead.
Credit cards have put a lot of people in financial ruin.
It's smart people who use the cards & immediately pay them off,, if they use a card at all.
With cash, you only spend it if you have it.
With checks,,, & the speed that they can clear a bank,,, most folks only write them if they have the $$$ in the account.

I know a lot of folks will use a card to buy a soda, or a pack of crackers. They never carry any cash. I find it a bit strange,,, especially when there are fees associated with plastic.

But at a gun show, the sellers may not be set up as a full time business, or are selling private collections & aren't set up to accept plastic. There are fees a business has to pay to set up to use plastic. I recently had a good friend who owns a restaurant tell me his business spent almost $30,000 in fees last year. He says that if he stopped taking plastic, he could drop every item on the menu's price by $1, and still make more money that he did before. He hates plastic,,, but accepts the reality it's necessary in his business.
I know a few restaurants that refuse plastic. In my business,,,, I'm not set up to accept plastic. By doing that,,, I'm keeping my overhead costs down, and I pass that along to my customers.

Nowadays, they are pushing a new way to accept plastic. Little card readers that attach to your pad or your phone or whatever. But,,, there are fees,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,! I tell my customers,,, "Not me." Lower overhead means less headaches on my part, less office time processing the paperwork & stuff, & that translates into savings I pass along to my customers.

Lastly,,, at a gun show, often people want to buy a gun w/o a money trail their wife may find out about,,,!

Lots of reasons to use cash!

Huhwhat?

Blackhawk
But at a gun show, the sellers may not be set up as a full time business, or are selling private collections & aren't set up to accept plastic.

Neither are the people at craft shows, and they take plastic.

Lastly,,, at a gun show, often people want to buy a gun w/o a money trail their wife may find out about,,,!

That doesn't seem like a very healthy relationship...

As far as fees, many places, including the guys who took plastic at the gun shows, tack a credit card fee onto the price of the item if the buyer wants to use plastic.

In the end, I suspect that the real reason the sellers at gun shows want to avoid credit cards is to keep the government from finding out what they are buying and selling - like the ATF isn't at every single gun show looking for people breaking the laws/ATF regulations, and making notes on who is selling what to who.

Nowadays, they are pushing a new way to accept plastic. Little card readers that attach to your pad or your phone or whatever. But,,, there are fees,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,! I tell my customers,,, "Not me." Lower overhead means less headaches on my part, less office time processing the paperwork & stuff, & that translates into savings I pass along to my customers.

Son has one of those set up for his Rides in the SNJ Texan business.
Makes life a whole lot easier for his customers. Try taking cash or check over the phone for a deposit. As stated most people don't carry large amounts of cash.
If all of a sudden you want to go for a ride but no cash it isn't a problem. So he can either lose $300 by not having a card reader or $10 for having one. A no brainer IMHO

RugerHound

Hunter
Dan in MI said:
Do you know the nickname the banks use for people that pay in full every month? Deadbeats.

LOL! Yep ;) That'd be me.

Although I DO keep a balance occasionally if the card has an 18 month no-fee transfer arrangement. I'll pay for the goods on one card, then before the 1st month is up I transfer the entire balance to the other card with the 18 month same-as-cash option. I love using the bank's money for free! ;)

jgt

Blackhawk
Go to the next gun show and buy you a table and set up to sell the guns you no longer want so you can use the money for something new. That will give you an insight into the issue.

Huhwhat?

Blackhawk
Like I said, Martha, who makes doilies as a hobby, can set up at a half-baked craft show and take cards, but guys with four or five table spreads at gun shows, who are at every gun show can't or won't take cards. The only one they're hurting is themselves. The choice these days is take cards, or have people go somewhere else for what they want. Four different tables had the ammo I wanted at the same price. The dealer I bought from was the one who took my card.

tinman

Buckeye
I pay mine off monthly so I will use CC's until they become cost prohibitive. Paying a convenience fee of 3% on a $1000.00 purchase is preferable (for me) to carrying around that much cash. I can just about always haggle a price down to where adding that 3% still keeps the cost below the original asking price. 8)

Our cards are free. The more you put on the card the more your get back in rewards/cash each year. Most all all bills are paid with our card. Yes we pay it off every month. You would have to pretty dumb not to IMHO
Most places you buy items don't give you a discount for cash. Use the card and you get 1-3% discount.

ChiefMuzz

Blackhawk
Credit cards open up the option of more customers, period. Not everyone, myself included carries a large amount of cash. For purposes of a gun show, I might as it's easy to haggle with bills. Each, either credit or cash, has pros and cons. Most companies will build the fees into their pricing and fees. My wife works for non profits and has pushed for them to open up to using electronic funding sources. In all cases donations and funding has increased. Yes it's more overhead and paperwork, but their funding is better. It really depends on preference.

Personally we use our credit cars for most anything. We pay off our heavy use cards every month and take advantage of long term free financing offers when available. Our credit scores are excellent, we get fantastic financing when needed and we get great rewards. Just last year my wife and daughters flights for Disneyland were free through rewards and we usually cash in for a couple $100 gift cards every year when we are doing home projects. It works very well for us.

volshooter

Buckeye
I like cash at gun shows, makes price wiggle room.
Recently had to see a lawyer. He was going to bill me but I asked if he would be willing to take cash now. Got a righteous discount and no receipt. That worked for me. Wife carries no cash.

contender

Ruger Guru
volshooter,,, you understand things quite well. I have often paid for things with cash after a bit of negotiating. As the old saying goes; "Cash talks & BS walks!"

RKB

Single-Sixer
Dan in MI said:
Do you know the nickname the banks use for people that pay in full every month? Deadbeats.
That would be me, for the last thirty years. My current card gives me points for free stays at a major hotel chain, so in addition to using their money for no charge, we stay free in hotels when we travel around this beautiful country. Life is good!

Huhwhat?

Blackhawk
I pay off my one credit card every payday, then use it through the week. It has protections that debit cards, and even paying cash doesn't.

Latest posts