Gun Shop rant

Help Support Ruger Forum:

David LaPell

Blackhawk
Where I live gun shops are few and far between, and getting fewer all the time. We even lost a couple more this year and last year.
Today I went to one, been going there on and off the last ten years, the owner and I are on a first name basis. His son helps out, but I usually try to do business with the father as he tends to be more knowledgeable. Today I went in with my 1892 Winchester, was thinking about selling it. Don't have to, but just curious.
When I got there, the owner told me there was an issue with a gun I sold them a couple months ago. Apparently the new owner is having trouble with it. I took offense to this because the gun was in perfect working condition when I sold it, and it was an older gun, but it worked just fine. Then I was told it was because the owner couldn't get it to shoot right. The owner hems and haws about a note that was left for me to get in touch wit the owner or I could leave my number. Then they couldn't find the note.
Needless to say, I didn't leave my number and I told the owner, not knowing what the guy did to it the moment it left the shop, it's really not my issue.
Then the kicker, while I was waiting to talk to the owner, he had a copy of The Blue Book on his counter, so I opened right to the Winchester 1892 page and when the owner asked me what I wanted for it, I gave him a fair price, I was only looking for what the value around 30-40% was since the gun isn't perfect but it works, and it shoots, there's no extra holes and the parts are all there.
So the offer I got, $200. I don't often get riled when I get an offer, I try not to, but really? Even when I showed him the values of what the gun goes for in the condition it's in, which is a good five or six times his offer, he told me he looked the gun up on the internet and that's what he saw one going for. Well, the conversation ended, I picked up the gun and packed it and I didn't say too much else. There might be only a couple gun shops in the area, but I can find another. I wasn't asking top dollar, but I wasn't expecting someone I have been buying from for 10 years to throw a horrible low ball out there.

blume357

Hawkeye
'Gun doesn't shoot right' we all know usually where the problem is with that.....

Sorry to hear you are losing gun shops up there... I'd predict we've had about 20 or more open up in my area in the last 8-10 years.... I'm not making this up.... they are everywhere.... So, that's another thing you can blame on Obama.

coach

Hunter
Gun shops seem to be disappearing all over. There was one stretch of road that had three or four within a few miles. I bought at least one gun from each. All are gone now.
Couldn’t get it to shoot right is pretty vague. Besides the shop was the previous owner that sold it at retail and it’s up to him the make any issues right.

pisgah

Buckeye
I have never in over 50 years gotten a decent offer to buy from a gun shop, or a dealer at a gun show. "I'll give you $100 for it" is the perpetual mantra. Best hope for a fair deal is a trade, especially at a gun/pawn shop. I KNOW they have very little in their gun, and I have a good idea of what it's worth on the market, and exactly how much I have in mine. If they won't play, I thank them for their time and split, no hard feelings -- because I know that the next time things may go differently.

gunzo

Buckeye
I managed a gun shop for about a year & had an optimistic seller or 3 leave upset over my offers.

But I never tried to perform highway robbery. The pics I've seen of the 92 says it's at least worth double that.

Call me. :wink: :mrgreen:

Xsales

Buckeye
Forget selling to the gun shop
Post it here or on GunBroker

As far as the rest of the issues - as described, none of that is your concern
Me thinks he is playing games and has no real interest in your business

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Look up a 1892 Musket on GB. I just saw one listed $7 K. These old Winchesters bring alot of money.

powder smoke

Hawkeye
JMO, selling or trading a gun at a gun shop is a sure fire way to get the least
amount for it! They know you want something else, it's not rocket science. Selling
or trading @ a shop you'll never get the value you want or expect!
Just like trading for a new used car, your gonna take a hit.
As for gun shops closing haven't noticed anything in these parts.ps

Sometime back I wanted an AR. Cabellas had them on sale for $500, and took trade ins. I took my H&R handi rifle chambered in .223 bull barrel. All I was offered was $80! No Sale!
gramps

Slenk

Single-Sixer
Gun shop I have been trading at for quit a few year traded hands a while back . The old man was pretty fair to deal with but the sons are not . They will offer you $100 on a $500 gun. I don't trade there anymore.

You said it yourself "gun shops are disappearing". Could it be that they are not making enough money? Any gun anywhere is only worth what the buyer is willing to pay for it at the time. "Worth" is not the same to a buyer as it is to a seller.

BearBio

Buckeye
As said, what a seller thinks it is worth and what a shop thinks it is are two different things. However, gun shops want to make as much as possible. They have their "reasons" but most likely "greed" is the factor.

bogus bill

Hunter
The last place I would consider to sell any gun to is a gun shop! If it`s a christmas tree gun (meaning anything made still in production), the shop can get new for wholesale and no way could they give you a satisfactory price for a used same model gun. I would and have, put nice classic guns (not made anymore) on consignment with a top end gunshop for maybe a 10% commision. I have been "out of the loop" for quite a few years but dont see how my theory would have changed much but recognize the net has changed our world.

kmoore

Buckeye
I have found that most want to double their investment when buying used. We had a local shop that would give 80% of what he would list it for. As far as I knew he kept to that but, also he did not deal below his price tag when selling.
About the problems of your gun you sold. I am sure the gun shop checked it out before buying it. The guy should be upset with the shop or himself not you.

57springer

Buckeye
There is a shop close to me that has been here since I was a teenager . The old fellow who ran it has since passed and his son runs it now . He always gave a fair trade. If you bought a gun and went back to trade later you didn't get hosed , I bought a lot of guns there .

blackhawknj

Buckeye
We have several gunshops close here in NJ, but several new ones have opened up-with indoor ranges.

Latest posts