Gun Safe Humidity Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

prairieviper

Single-Sixer
I posted this question on another forum but I wanted to get opinions from this one too. My new gun safe is located in an outdoor building that is insulated but not climate controlled. I have an electric dehumidifier in the bottom and an Eva-Dry moisture absorbing dehumidifier in the top and yet the humidity is staying around 64%. All the guns are in silicone gun socks and while there has been no rust issues, I would like to get the humidity down to 50-55% as that seems to be optimum from what I have read.

Should I install another dehumidifier of some kind or is this no big deal and I should stop worrying about it.

Thanks for any input.

Jim Puke

Hunter
My safe is in my house, central heat and air, in very humid south Ga...never needed any type dehumidifier in it. But, I think that it can vary from house to house.

I also have handguns and longguns in cases in my safes...in all of these years, I have never had any problem with moisture. It seems that moisture problems depends on each individual safe and house. Just put a moisture monitor in the safe and see how it goes.

RSIno1

Hunter
Even though the place is insulated the temp/humidity will still vary - just not as fast. I don't store my guns in socks or cases as they can retain moisture. Someone told me a 60 watt lightbulb (always on) will keep everything dry and warm in the average safe.

prairieviper

Single-Sixer
I have a PEET dryer (recommended by Liberty) in the bottom that circulates warm air in the bottom of the safe. Like I said, everything seems fine. I know that the humidity inside the safe is going to vary some just like it does in the house. Maybe I'm concerned about nothing.

powder smoke

Hawkeye
Dehumidifier energy hogs tho.
I would never leave MY Firearms in an out building YMMV
When I first got married 36 years ago my wife said no guns in
the house, I said I'm moving out, me and my guns or neither,
Proud to say me and guns are still around. Now she has her own go figure. ps

prairieviper

Single-Sixer
powder smoke said:
Dehumidifier energy hogs tho.
I would never leave MY Firearms in an out building YMMV ps

I am as picky about my firearms as anyone but sometimes you have to strike a balance. My safe is a very large Liberty and just getting it into my house would have been a challenge. Our kitchen, dining room, utility room, pantry and wife's office are all downstairs so putting it downstairs was a non-starter. It is too big to maneuver around corners and down the hallway to attempt to put it in my old gunroom, not to mention the weight. The only real choice and one that I was satisfied with was to place it on a carpeted, concrete floor in the insulated shop area of one of our buildings (which happened to be a pole metal building/machine shed in this case). I'm not too concerned about theft or fire (low risk for a variety of reasons) but rather protecting my firearms from humidity.

Actually, I think that the two dehumidifiers I have now plus the guns being in gun socks will be fine but I wanted to get some input and experience from others on a few forums I belong to, just to have some peace of mind and maybe try something else to reduce the humidity level a bit if it seemed like a good idea.

Thanks.

welder

Buckeye
powder smoke said:
When I first got married 36 years ago my wife said no guns in
the house, I said I'm moving out, me and my guns or neither,
Proud to say me and guns are still around. Now she has her own go figure. ps

Same story here. When we met back in the day, I had one old Mossberg shotgun under the bed and a single shot Sears .22. She saw the Mossberg one day and tried the "why do you have "THAT", and asked me to get rid of it. Of course it never happened. What did happen is she came around to my thinking, has her own mini collection, ccw permit, NRA membership and is a staunch defender of the 2nd.

Back to the OP. My safe is in my home but my ammo locker (large JOB box) is in the utility room off the garage, insulated but not heated or cooled. Ammo is in ammo cans with desiccant packs. Never had a problem with that. I think Blume is correct where he said rapid changes in temp can be the biggest problem.

JFB

Hunter
the amount of water in your safe at 65% humidity depends upon the temperture of that air, ie at 100F that is a lot of water, where at 50F it would be much less (20% of the amount at 100F)

with 65% at 100F, if the safe internal temperture should drop to 75F the RH would become 100% and dew would form.
pyschrometric_zpsexe1xvau.png

RugerHound

Hunter
I keep a cheap (12 bucks at Walmart) Acu-Rite humidity / temp meter in the safe like the one below:

acu-rite-humidity-monitor-00325.jpg

From that data I use a simple dew-point calculator so I always know if I need to add heat or recharge the desiccant packs. Here's a couple of the calculators I use routinely:

http://andrew.rsmas.miami.edu/bmcnoldy/Humidity.html
http://www.dpcalc.org/

The desiccant packs I use are from Walmart and are shown below... They're about 6.50 each and are good for 24 CF for 6 weeks on average. (A little longer out here in the desert!) My main safe is a Ft Knox Defender 7261 which is about 70 CF. I keep 4 of the desiccant packs in the big safe.

k2-_8e21e964-2545-4af6-9b10-3547b0930c83.v1.jpg-bb723f6d23c6bde5e9aab53c0a03209dbca60168-webp-450x450.webp

https://www.britishmuseum.org/pdf/TRB2007_Wang.pdf

Check out the conclusion of the british museum. They are targeting 35% humidity, I have been trained and use 45% for our manufacturing facilities with quite a bit of success. I concur that the socks will hold moisture against the firearm and make things worse instead of better. air flow and air movement are your friend. The addition of VCI bolsters will extend life of items, and cover for a higher humidity level. (Rustisbad.com) When they are used in conjunction with a dryrod or an electrical humidity control item, it works pretty well.

Jim Puke

Hunter
Why does everyone seem to have to do all of these things to prevent moisture problem...and I have never had a single problem with my guns over many years.

Seems to me, that a lot of this stuff being done, is unnecessary or else the houses have moisture problems, also.

As I said, I keep at least 10 handguns and 10 longguns in cases, inside the safes and have never had one issue with moisture.

prairieviper

Single-Sixer
RugerHound said:
I keep a cheap (12 bucks at Walmart) Acu-Rite humidity / temp meter in the safe like the one below:

acu-rite-humidity-monitor-00325.jpg

From that data I use a simple dew-point calculator so I always know if I need to add heat or recharge the desiccant packs. Here's a couple of the calculators I use routinely:

http://andrew.rsmas.miami.edu/bmcnoldy/Humidity.html
http://www.dpcalc.org/

The desiccant packs I use are from Walmart and are shown below... They're about 6.50 each and are good for 24 CF for 6 weeks on average. (A little longer out here in the desert!) My main safe is a Ft Knox Defender 7261 which is about 70 CF. I keep 4 of the desiccant packs in the big safe.

k2-_8e21e964-2545-4af6-9b10-3547b0930c83.v1.jpg-bb723f6d23c6bde5e9aab53c0a03209dbca60168-webp-450x450.webp

I followed this advice and replaced my cheap analog hygrometer with the one above and purchased some Stack On desiccant packets. The humidity level is standing at 44% now so it could have been a combination of things that accounted for the higher humidity reading (inaccurate instrument, brand new safe and just not enough time to bring humidity levels down, etc.) but right now I'm happy :D . Thanks!