Gun Owners of America question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pretty much the Big 3 are NRA, 2AF and GOA. The problem I have seen is that the GOA doesn't seem to want to work with the other gun rights groups and could do great things as allies, not adversaries trying to be the Big Dog. 2AF doewsn't seem to be this way, they fight the fight and have gotten som pretty good results. Man, if the Big 3 could put away their egos and join forces (not physically but show a strong UNITED front) think what they might be able to accomplish.

On the other hand, some to watch out for. ANY so called gun rights organizations run by Chris Dorr and his brothers is not to be trusted. (Ohio Gun Owners, Iowa Gun Owners, MT Gun Owners, PA Gun Owners, and many, many more. Their "fund raising and management fees" are being closely investigated.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Memories are short ! Look up all the legal issues of Alan Gotlieb of CCRKBA . And money related legal issues are not unknown in the various state level Orgs .

Politics is a sausage making type of endeavor , sometimes you need to focus on the Results and not look too close at the details . ( With rare exceptions) .

75 % of the the anti NRA furor is stirred up by the anti gunners because they fear the NRA , and want them out of their way .

Of the 25% of valid concern , in these discussions , people are usually focused on the aspects other than the ones that most concern me .

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
In the current era , it is no longer useful to think of 2A Org as a fungible single category . You have to decide which specific activities \ threats are of greatest need \ most in need of your support :

Lobbying @ National level
Lobbying @ State and local level
Litigation , to set precedents and incrementally advance legal strategies
Provide legal support to specific individuals unfairly jammed up
PR campaigns to put the issues to the general public
Conduct actual education and training to the public .

No single Org does everything . much less do everything well . You need to set your priorities . and probably support more than one . At minimum , one National Org , and the most effective Org in Your State ( and a few State Orgs are players in National level litigation also ).

SAF is the leader in National level litigation .

CCRKBA used to be active in assisting jammed up individuals , not sure how much currently

JPFO does great outreach to the public

GOA is great motivating our side to action .

NAGR - When I first ran into him in the trenches , he was just starting up , and stretched too thin . Just in last year or two they're building up fast , and put their foot into litigation .

NRA - The closest any group has ever come to doing everything . No matter how controversial they are among " us " , the other side still views them as the 800lb gorilla , and they are the only Gun Rights group that most politicians ( and leftists generally ) have heard of . Sometimes that helps other groups get things done under the radar .

Historical footnote - In the early 20th Century , the main group was the U.S. Revolver Assn , bigger politically than the NRA back in the day .

And one more time - Please Join & Support the 2A Org in Your State ! Usually their is a clearly predominate group . occasionally two legit active groups with slightly different emphasis . then pick one .

dannyd

Single-Sixer
What we have learned from the NRA and the United State's; Their biggest enemy is themselves.

If anyone knows about a good 2A organization in Florida let me know. So far the one's I have checked out look a little shady.

Well said Biggfoot44. In PA right now I belong to the Firearm Owners Against Crime (FOAC). They started in the western part to fight the Pittsburgh anti-gunners and have spread over the years to all of PA. The Castle Doctrine in PA was passed a few years ago basically because of the work/lobbying of the FOAC. They did more than any other PA group, including the NRA, to get this bill passed. The Pro Gun law makers in PA actually recognized how much work the FOAC did to get it passed. Then the GOA started to get involved in PA and instantly started downplaying the FOAC and putting out slurs, innuendoes and other things to try to undermine the work the FOAC did in the past because they wanted to be the Big Dog in PA. I do not fault the GOA per se, but the leader of the PA GOA section. HE wants to be THE ONE for Pro 2A in PA and he will do whatever he can, to whoever gets in his way. It has gotten so bad that many of us who are also GOA members have written to the GOA executives to complain about this person and that he needs a good ass whippin' by the GOA to straighten him out or get rid of him.

Swampbilly_2

Single-Sixer
Pretty much the Big 3 are NRA, 2AF and GOA. The problem I have seen is that the GOA doesn't seem to want to work with the other gun rights groups and could do great things as allies, not adversaries trying to be the Big Dog. 2AF doesn't seem to be this way, they fight the fight and have gotten some pretty good results. Man, if the Big 3 could put away their egos and join forces (not physically but show a strong UNITED front) think what they might be able to accomplish.

On the other hand, some to watch out for. ANY so called gun rights organizations run by Chris Dorr and his brothers is not to be trusted. (Ohio Gun Owners, Iowa Gun Owners, MT Gun Owners, PA Gun Owners, and many, many more. Their "fund raising and management fees" are being closely investigated.

Exactly.....the National Rifle Association AND the Second Amendment Foundation have successfully collaborated together on Second Amendment cases...we are stronger together. I will say the collaboration has not always been seamlessly perfect, but they work it out and have been successful - TOGETHER.
With the GOA Leadership's "all or nothing" attitude and constant, never-ending NRA bashing....this can never happen.
I see it as foolish to throw away 151 years of NRA 2A support, many court battles won, and millions upon millions of dollars spent towards such, due to...which I agree...recent challenges with certain NRA upper management. To do so would be giving the anti-liberty, anti-firearms usurpers a huge gift. I also do not automatically blame the NRA for everything the biased New York DA is throwing at the organization. She is a George Soros funded, completely biased political hack with power now, who came into office claiming she would "get the NRA." She is totally unethical. She would be doing the same right now no matter who the leadership is.

The NRA is NOT Wayne Lapierre...it is the 5 Million strong Membership. Hopefully, Wayne will either be given the "adjustment" he needs or eventually be ousted. I know for many years, he ate, slept, and breathed the NRA and HAS done some great things for the organization.....but along the way, more recently, i believe he began fancying himself in the "celebrity" status....certainly not.

dannyd

Single-Sixer
We know the New York AG is on a witch got that, but she should have never been able to find anything our laundry should have been as clean as the white snow and it was not.

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
NRA has the only leadership that is being prosecuted for financial mismanagement of funds so far and probably a major part of their budget goes to marketing to increase membership.

Not against the organization I personally just have grow to not trust the leadership; it took me 50 years but I finally got there.

Does not look good ether sending out mailing saying; if you send money we will send you a back pack made in China.

Stop using private jets to move people around when that money should be going to ranges, youth programs and other things.

Do you realize what a drop in the bucket that 350,000 dollars is compared to all the money that is being used for legal defense team for the management.

I have asked them for years where does all that money go; never got any answer ever.

And poor Virginia hope they will someday get it back together. They definitely have had a bad run of it lately makes a person long to have Governor Byrd back in office no matter how corrupt he was.
I can find no case where the NRA has been prosecuted for financial mismanagement of funds. Investigated yes, but not prosecuted.

dannyd

Single-Sixer
I can find no case where the NRA has been prosecuted for financial mismanagement of funds. Investigated yes, but not prosecuted.
They have been in investigated and here's some of he results

No fortunately they have not been prosecuted yet.

Now just think if the NRA Management had been doing the Right Things ( Using Moral Courage) and not wasting the Membership money on other enterprises including this lawsuit. How many thousands of dollars did this one document cost the People of the State of New York and the NRA membership? All the NRA money could have gone to good programs.

If you don't have this book please get its a very good read.

1651861662626.jpeg

And this an awesome quote from the book

1651861731270.jpeg

We been though this before and it's needs to get fixed again; just think if 5,000,000 NRA members all sent just a postcard on June 1 asking that the Management rethink their positions.

Latest posts