Gun Owners of America question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I posted this in another post but thought it might be better seen and answered here. Not trying to be confrontational but exactly what has GOA (Gun Owners of America) actually done for the gun owner? I hear various people here speak of them but have NEVER seen them mentioned anywhere else

hittman

Staff member
Good question. I never heard of them until I joined here. Maybe it’s a regional thing since I’m in fly-over country.

Never have seen an article by them or seen them mentioned in the news, etc.

dannyd

Blackhawk
Here's a link, so you can read up on them. People in flyover country may not have seen them because I don't think they have private jets like other gun organizations.

hittman

Staff member
I did cruise through their web site a bit.
Much like the NRA you see a “$ Donate Here” button on every page. Granted, that IS how they exist so can’t blame them.

There’s TONS of info on their site … if you were bored it’d keep you busy reading for many hours.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
While I believe that any/all pro-gun organizations are helpful, GOA takes the
stand (as much as I can see) MY . . WAY . . OR . . THE . . HIGHWAY.

IMO, that pushes a whole lot of people away.

I think I'm a member... at least it seems like I pay them a little bit every year or so. And they seem to want money a lot but I guess that's how they pay some lobbyist. Their stand is to repeal existing gun laws not to just go with what is. Probably a lost cause but at least they make a stand.

dannyd

Blackhawk
First they all ask for money, on that there is no choice. But they all can help how they spend it. I'm a life member of the GOA; are they doing any good all I can say is their trying. I also belong to the NRA, but the NRA has learned if you are going to throw stones live in a concrete house with no windows.
60D0AE78-E03D-4016-93A2-42605938CBF7.jpeg

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
While I believe that any/all pro-gun organizations are helpful, GOA takes the
stand (as much as I can see) MY . . WAY . . OR . . THE . . HIGHWAY.

IMO, that pushes a whole lot of people away.
The problem with an all or nothing position is that in politics if you take that position, you get nothing and Gun Control laws are politics.

I think it's enlightening to note that when you see things politicians say about pro gun groups, they talk about the NRA, they've never even heard of the GOA...and that in itself tells you everything you need to know about the GOA.

dannyd

Blackhawk
Unfortunately most of time now when the politicians have anything bad to say about the NRA it's also unfortunately the True.

Sometimes all or nothing positions are a good thing, but being from southeast we tend to lean that way.

Looks like this is the second time around for this topic.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
In my volunteering with my independent State level 2A Org , I always advise people to support at least one National Level 2A Org AND the leading State Based 2A Org .

I Have attended 2A functions with a featured speaker from GOA . Very inspiring and rousing .

Amongst the Large National Level 2A Orgs , GOA holds the position of being Absolutist , No Compromise on anything . That has limitations on being a sole approach , but is useful to provide balance among the universe of 2A Orgs .

I'm not familiar with every state legislature , but in my state and adjacent states where I'm familiar , they don't have active lobbying presence .

If they are active in legal support for Joe Blow in not particularly Precedent setting case . I'm open to hear about it .

From the reverse direction ;

The National Org that lobbys that Anti gunners most fear , is Still the NRA . Yeah I know all the Internal issues in the NRA , but they're still the 700 lb Gorilla to the opposition . I've known , and seen in action State Level ILA Reps , and they ranged from decent to excellent . If you have rightful concerns about the " Big NRA" , consider supporting the ILA specifically ,which is financially seperate.

The Organization that is the leader in Presecident setting Litigation , is the SAF .

Meanwhile , the NAGR is the new kid on the block , and is showing potential in some of their Litigation . Worth keeping an eye on them .

dannyd

Blackhawk
In my volunteering with my independent State level 2A Org , I always advise people to support at least one National Level 2A Org AND the leading State Based 2A Org .

I Have attended 2A functions with a featured speaker from GOA . Very inspiring and rousing .

Amongst the Large National Level 2A Orgs , GOA holds the position of being Absolutist , No Compromise on anything . That has limitations on being a sole approach , but is useful to provide balance among the universe of 2A Orgs .

I'm not familiar with every state legislature , but in my state and adjacent states where I'm familiar , they don't have active lobbying presence .

If they are active in legal support for Joe Blow in not particularly Precedent setting case . I'm open to hear about it .

From the reverse direction ;

The National Org that lobbys that Anti gunners most fear , is Still the NRA . Yeah I know all the Internal issues in the NRA , but they're still the 700 lb Gorilla to the opposition . I've known , and seen in action State Level ILA Reps , and they ranged from decent to excellent . If you have rightful concerns about the " Big NRA" , consider supporting the ILA specifically ,which is financially seperate.

The Organization that is the leader in Presecident setting Litigation , is the SAF .

Meanwhile , the NAGR is the new kid on the block , and is showing potential in some of their Litigation . Worth keeping an eye on them .
The NRA grandma here in Florida was really bad mouthing NAGR, so I am going to have to check them out. Because if the talking heads of the NRA are against them; then they maybe pretty good organization. The NAGR says their a no compromise group too.

The NRA has always compromised and that's why we have so many gun laws and restrictions.

Gopher

Bearcat
When Texas passed permitless carry last year (still too many restrictions on it to call it Constitutional carry) GOA did the heavy lifting to get it written, introduced, and passed. The NRA and the Texas State Rifle Assoc. crowed that they did it all but that is far from the truth.
In Washington, the house and senate know who GOA is even if they aren't that well know anywhere else.

dannyd

Blackhawk
When Texas passed permitless carry last year (still too many restrictions on it to call it Constitutional carry) GOA did the heavy lifting to get it written, introduced, and passed. The NRA and the Texas State Rifle Assoc. crowed that they did it all but that is far from the truth.
In Washington, the house and senate know who GOA is even if they aren't that well know anywhere else.
Same here in Florida every good gun bill that passes the NRA takes credit for it even though they had very little to do with it.

Swampbilly_2

Single-Sixer
Here is my view into what I would list as the "Top 3" Second Amendment Rights organizations....both by Membership numbers and EFFECTIVE actions :

National Rifle Association
Membership = approx. 5-million Members
My status - Benefactor Life Member

I won't go into a lot of details here on NRA activism....most all here are very familiar with their policies and successes over many years....since 1871.
I will say the NRA has done more for the promotion and preservation of Second Amendment rights than any other 2A Right Group - bar none. In addition, the NRA has contributed millions of dollars over time towards shooting range development and refurbishments, firearms education, and firearms safety education.

Second Amendment Foundation
Membership = approx. 650,000 Members
My Status - Member (active)

My evaluation is : If for whatever reason you choose not to be an NRA Member....the Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) is THE NEXT BEST ONE to actively support with Membership.
It was the Second Amendment Foundation who originally brought the Heller Case to the US Supreme Court...the NRA later joining in on that case. And it was the SAF Attorney, Mr. Alan Gura, who successful argued the case to the Supreme Court, resulting in confirmation that the Second Amendment was an individual Right.

The SAF is ALWAYS actively litigating in court, using the funds from their supporters actively suing the daylights out of some anti-liberty, gun banning usurpers somewhere. The organization has a GREAT, documented record of court wins, in many States, in preventing infringement on firearms ownership, expanding, and repealing anti-Second Amendment "laws."

The Second Amendment Foundation and the National Rifle association have at time successfully teamed up together and collaborated in successful WINS in 2A Rights defense cases.

Gun Owners of America
Membership = approx. 150,000

My personal opinion : My biggest problem with the GOA is that their KEY membership drive tactic appears to revolve around constantly bashing the National Rifle Association. When I am reviewing some 2A Rights Group page I may monitor, I can generally pick out the GOA Members, as near every comments towards the NRA will be negative.

The GOA writes many "strongly worded letters" and / or Amicus Briefs towards cases that generally are brought by other organizations...usually either the NRA or Second Amendment Foundation...or both. How much actual money the GOA spends LEADING court cases, or more importantly winning one, is questionable and difficult to measure. My educated guess is they have not had a great deal of success in that area....other than "claiming wins" on the coat tails of other groups leading the court actions.

I shut one GOA Fanboy down in a Virginia 2A Group, whereby he was constantly blaming the NRA for not doing enough......not spending enough money in Virginia to prevent the 2A infringements they had experienced.
I promptly directed him to documented proof that the NRA had spent over $350,000 dollars in the prior Virginia election...and invited him to inform the group just how much money Gun Owners of America had spent in supporting Virginia against 2A attacks - < CRICKETS >.
He had nothing.....and I never could get ANY GOA member to correctly reference any information documenting how much ACTUAL MONEY GOA had spent towards the Virginia elections...nor could I find that myself.

National Association for Gun Rights
Membership = Unknown to me, but I would estimate it at less than 100,000
NOT a top organization, but included it here as I am seeing more people bringing them up :

I cannot see that this organization has done much other than issue "strongly worded letter" on some 2A cases, or maybe to several politicians. They have made political contributions to Republican candidates and contributed money to Kyle Rittenhouse's defense team.
Otherwise, their main budget appears to be leveraged towards marketing to increase membership.

** I have seen several SCAM alerts out on this organization, although I've not had opportunity to thoroughly research that.

dannyd

Blackhawk
NRA has the only leadership that is being prosecuted for financial mismanagement of funds so far and probably a major part of their budget goes to marketing to increase membership.

Not against the organization I personally just have grow to not trust the leadership; it took me 50 years but I finally got there.

Does not look good ether sending out mailing saying; if you send money we will send you a back pack made in China.

Stop using private jets to move people around when that money should be going to ranges, youth programs and other things.

Do you realize what a drop in the bucket that 350,000 dollars is compared to all the money that is being used for legal defense team for the management.

I have asked them for years where does all that money go; never got any answer ever.

And poor Virginia hope they will someday get it back together. They definitely have had a bad run of it lately makes a person long to have Governor Byrd back in office no matter how corrupt he was.

vito

Hunter
Personally I feel it is worthwhile to support all of the pro-gun organizations, to the degree that I can. I am a Life NRA member, an annual member of the GOA, a contributor to the 2nd Amendment Foundation( NOTE: you can designate the 2A Foundation as I do on my Amazon account. A small but useful amount is donated to them as my charitable choice with every purchase I make on Amazon, which is significant).

Another interesting gun rights group is the JPFO (Jews for the Protection of Firearm Ownership). I don't know what they actually do but they likely are responsible for some of the success in converting religious Jews traditional support for gun control into actual gun ownership. Religious Jews, by and large, are strong supporters of the 2A. Secular Jews are mostly in support of gun control.

Latest posts