Gun Lube for Dusty Conditions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MrShoeBoy

Bearcat
What would be a good lube to use on a SR9 that doesnt attract a lot of dust? I guess I am really looking for a "dry" lube. This is my concealed carry gun and I work in a shop that is very dirty/dusty mostly from sawdust and outside dirt. Other than cleaning everyday, what can I do to keep the dust to a minimum and cleaning down to say once a week?

Thanks,

AARON

Spike66

Bearcat
I'm trying out some Remington dry lube on my XD45 but can't really comment on it yet. I use it on the barrel and slide. It leaves a dry slick coating (teflon). It seems like it's easier to clean up after shooting as well.

OldCowHand

Bearcat
I've found that Gunzila does a good job of cleaning and lubricating without being sticky and attracting dust, lint, dirt, and the like. Their website claims that it's popular among the troops in Iraq for that reason, but I can't confirm that; all I know is that it does a good job of keeping some of the volcanic dust around here (essentially ground glass) from setting up housekeeping in the inner workings of firearms.

Swampbilly

Single-Sixer
Moly Lube is a good dry lube to use for dusty or sandy conditions.

I have some that sprays on. Does not attract dust and cleans easier.

Regards,

MD

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
P90":3u6z95hw said:

I go round and round on Eezox. I use it. But I am not convinced it's effective as a lube if used as directed.
Like a lot of these "dry" lubes, you are supposed to put it on thin,
let it dry, and then this dry film is supposed to keep on working.

I have yet to find one that really works as well as wet lube. Including Eezox. What I end up doing with it is applying a little heavier so it doesn't completely evaporate( at least for a long time, like a month),
then it seems to work well.

P90

Single-Sixer
gatorhugger":1x7vpwlr said:
P90":1x7vpwlr said:

I go round and round on Eezox. I use it. But I am not convinced it's effective as a lube if used as directed.

I have yet to find one that really works as well as wet lube. Including Eezox. What I end up doing with it is applying a little heavier so it doesn't completely evaporate( at least for a long time, like a month),
What has worked for me for over 5 years now with my CCW is: I field strip it once a month. Blow it out good with a air hose and wipe all the parts with a dry clean cloth and run a dry patch through the bore. All the powder residue will wipe right off. Then I run a patch wet with Eezox through the bore, and spray the parts, and frame. Let it set for an hour then take the air hose and blow off any excess Eezox, re-assemble, and put it back in my holster. When I shoot it, I just run a Boresnake through it. I haven't used any solvents or lubricants on it in 5 years, and it doesn't show any excess wear, and works, and looks fine.

MrShoeBoy

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies. I am looking for something along the lines of the Eezox or moly lube to keep the dust to a minimum. When its time for a range day a wipe down with some typical gun lube would be fine for me. With my schedule I can only get out to the range once a month anyways...

AARON

5Wire

Single-Sixer
I've been using Elmer's Slide-All, a dry Teflon delivered by aerosol. It's about $6 in hardware stores but (woe is me) I no longer find it on their website.

206889933.jpg

I started using it on My HK P7 M8 and M13. They use a gas delayed blowback action which will cease to function if too much crud finds its way into the gas cylinder/piston. Fluid lubes collect crud.

I first clean with MPro7/Hoppe's Elite (same stuff), then after it's completely dry, I use the Slide-All in and around the hot areas. No crud even after over a thousand rounds through each pistol.

All other metal surfaces get a thin coat of MPro7 Gun Oil, Breakfree CLP, or other quality fluid lube applied lightly. Maybe an extra drop or two on the bearing surfaces of slide & receiver (on top of the Slide-All — belt & suspenders).

Teflon tends to bond to metal when subjected to high temperatures, such as occur when firing the gun, so after a while you have Teflon to Teflon. Pretty slippery.

I now use the same technique on all my firearms. They stay cleaner longer and each cleaning cycle makes the next one easier & quicker. Even revolver cylinder faces, bolt and lever actions, AR15 pattern bolt, chamber, and barrel.

Huey Rider

Bearcat
KG-10 Moly-Dri Lube was recommended to me by a an Army armorer who did some time in the Sandbox.He swore by it saying it was better than anything they tried over there,they ordered it by the case loads.

aWoods

Single-Sixer
P90":2oefcvhy said:
gatorhugger":2oefcvhy said:
P90":2oefcvhy said:

What has worked for me for over 5 years now with my CCW is: I field strip it once a month. Blow it out good with a air hose and wipe all the parts with a dry clean cloth and run a dry patch through the bore. All the powder residue will wipe right off. Then I run a patch wet with Eezox through the bore, and spray the parts, and frame. Let it set for an hour then take the air hose and blow off any excess Eezox, re-assemble, and put it back in my holster. When I shoot it, I just run a Boresnake through it. I haven't used any solvents or lubricants on it in 5 years, and it doesn't show any excess wear, and works, and looks fine.

Eezox has been working well for me. Phoenix is pretty dry, and Ben Avery range is a bit dusty.

marlin1881

Single-Sixer
I use Hornady One-Shot Dry Lube on my bullseye guns (Spring 1911, and Ruger MKII). It's worked very well for me for 2 straight years now. Slick as can be, and very easy to clean.

Rescue 187

Bearcat
I've got the Hornady also and just got some Remington dry lube the other day but I don't think it works as well as the Hornady...could just be me though.

JeepVideo

Bearcat
I use Sentry Solutions Armorers Kit for my SR9. Have only had the weapon for a few months so not as much experience as others here but i like how the stuff is working so far.