Gun folks are great

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Last night,, we had our annual FoNRA fundraising banquet. We have a new field rep,, and he hasn't been on the job but a few weeks,, and this was his first event. We had glitches in some things for our event,, that put a lot of stress on several folks. But we pulled off another good event. The numbers aren't fully worked out,, but it looks like we'll net between $60,000 & $65,000 for the Foundation.

But the highlight of the evening,, the absolute best thing I've seen in a long time,, which brought a standing ovation, as well as many wet eyes last night truly made all of it worth every minute of my 20+ years of doing this.
A super good donor, attendee & friend,, who's supported us for almost all 30 years of the FoNRA events,, and who owns a gun & pawn shop was able to attend. George has not been anywhere in public since October,, and has spent much of Nov, Dec, & Jan in the hospital. His age, pneumonia, infections, etc have all taken their toll. Yet,, he insisted to his family that he attend.
He's also a serious gun collector,, (Colts & Rugers,) and even brought in an engraved Single-Six for me to evaluate. George & I were able to visit & discuss Rugers.
Our event has qualified for many years as a "High Caliber" event, and as such, we get a special gun. The 2022 FoNRA High Caliber gun was a 30th anniv marked Colt Python. This is the kind of gun George likes to own.
It was on the live auction, and George wanted it.
As the bidding started,, it quickly went to $1800,, then George stepped in. it paused,, then another bidder,,, a competitive pawn & gun shop owner started bidding against George. The Python escalated to beyond $4000 kinda quickly. George & his wife figured out who was bidding against them,, and it went even higher. At $5600.00 the other bidder,, Alan,,, looked at me,, & held up 6 fingers,, for $6000.00. As I nodded, calling it out,, Alan went over to George & said; "Stop bidding,, Da** it,, I'm buying that as a gift for you!"
George stopped,, and pleasant words were exchanged,, and then the auctioneer told the crowd what was going on. A standing ovation, and George got our microphone and thanked his friend. Many folks always thought the two of them were fierce competitors,, yet,, last night,, it was shown to all, that was NOT the truth. While their stores are 2 miles apart,, they have actually been friends & helped each other over many, many years.
So with many wet eyes,, and hugs & all,, we had a truly great moment last night. Many of us feel it may have been George's last FoNRA event due to his health. God Bless Alan Shepard.

So, with all that happened,, this shows what type of people are gun people.

Johnnu2

Buckeye
That's a heartwarming story....

This is how life is supposed to play out.... IMHO of course.

Thanks Contender....

J.

kmoore

Buckeye
I think we all know some nice people and those who do nice things. I always felt that credit was not needed for such deeds. BUT in this world of most media stories are bad and depressing, pitting one against another. We should be telling about the nice people who should have their stories told. I enjoyed reading the whole story and not speed reading through it. One of the better posts on here in a long time.

turd

Blackhawk
kmoore said:
I think we all know some nice people and those who do nice things. I always felt that credit was not needed for such deeds. BUT in this world of most media stories are bad and depressing, pitting one against another. We should be telling about the nice people who should have their stories told. I enjoyed reading the whole story and not speed reading through it. One of the better posts on here in a long time.

Well said.

Thanks, Contender, for sharing this story. It brought tears to my eyes as well.

contender

Ruger Guru
Folks,, I wish all of y'all could have seen that happen. Many in the community always thought that since they were in the same business they didn't like each other very much.
Last night proved it all wrong. Even George's wife was in tears last night,, as was George, his son, his daughter,, & their spouses.

I know I posted a few truly sad stories recently,, and this GOOD one was what we truly like to hear.

And if anybody is ever visiting Asheville NC,, I'll give them the info on BOTH gun shops. Go & visit them.

SamV

Blackhawk
That was a wonderful story. You are lucky to know such people. Thanks for sharing this with us, and thanks for fundraising for second amendment supporters.

contender

Ruger Guru
"I'm glad you were there to see it take place."

That's the fun part. I was an auction spotter & I was the one calling out when each one made a bid. And Alan,, was trying to get me to signal George to stop bidding,, and I wasn't sure of his intentions. When it was at $5600,, and Alan held up 6 fingers,, and looked towards George,, & made a slight cut off sign,, I still wasn't sure of his intentions. But as I called out the $6000 bid,, Alan moved the 6-8 ft to George & told him to stop. I literally had a "front row seat" to all of it.

It's an event I'll never forget.

I only touched lightly on George & his collecting interests. We've been friends a long time,, with me having been honored to visit his home AND his LARGE, underground, walk in safe room. And he shared a lot of his serious collection pieces with me. I won't disclose any of his stuff,, but he's a SERIOUS Colt & Ruger collector. As I mentioned above,, he even brought an engraved Single-Six for me to evaluate. (No,, it's not one of the rare factory ones.) But we have talked Rugers,, and I've bought a few off him over the years. I've helped him chase down details on several guns too. I truly count him as a great friend,, and cherish the times we've spent "talking guns."

And this happening comes 5 years after our 25th aniv FoNRA event,, where we had the special Ruger Vaquero as a "Founding Chapter" gun. One of only 70. The bidding on that one was spirited,, and George was trying hard to buy that Vaquero. He ran it to $6000,, and "Cousin Ed" kept bidding & got it for $6100. George had decided to quit at $6000. And Cousin Ed gave that gun away,, but it wasn't NEARLY as good as this time.

As I've said,, it's things like this,, that truly proves the GOOD in gun people. Something the people who do not understand true freedom lovers fail to comprehend. They think of gun owners as neanderthals, or stupid, or whatever. Sadly,, they will never get it.