Gun Deer season , what are you using ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Achigan

Single-Sixer
For archery season I used a longbow. In gun season I’ll use an 870 in 20 ga. with a rifled barrel and a 2-7 Nikon scope on top. I have a Henry single shot in .357 on order I’ll go to next year.

Valmet

Single-Sixer
I use two deer rifles depending on where I am. An old Remington Mode 8 in .35 Rem with open sights when I’m in the woods and an early German Weatherby Mk V in .270 Wby with a Redfield scope when Im in a place for longer shots.

I have basically gone blind in my right eye, been shooting my crossbow left handed-no problem. The deer haven’t cooperated, staying 70-100 yards away. Thursday I am having surgery to remove the cataract from my right eye. Dr said to wait a week afterwards to shoot the high powered guns. I just scoped my 77/44, and need to sight it in, vs a Remington 788 .308 scoped and already sighted in. My last shot on a deer was at 17 yds with it. I also carry my .44 mag Redhawk with 4 inch barrel. I could have had a doe a little bit ago when out walking, but it is archery season, and she was in heavy brush, at 15 yds. She freaked and ran.
gramps

6GUNSONLY

Hunter
Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
I have a ridiculous number of guns I COULD hunt with, long and short. I always carry a Ruger or S&W sixgun, usually a .44, but also sometimes my old 5-screw S&W .357. THIS year's goal is to make meat with my old but new to me Winchester model 71 .348 Win. I have two boxes of handloads I put together with 200 gr. Hornadys and the Lyman aperture sight is dialed in.

I use either my model 77RSI tang safety in 308, my 77RLS tang safety in 30-06 or my 44 Mag finger groove Sporter depending on where i am hunting...thick brush or along the power lines or more open country, I also switch between northern NH and Northern Maine...

I tend to hunt more for the camaraderie and to get into the woods for a few days to clear my head and enjoy the great north woods.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
For Rifle, this year's lineup is this:
Savage 99R in .300 Savage
Marlin 336 in .30-30
Remington 11-87 with slug barrel & scope if I get to Bucks County, PA in late season (shotgun only area)
Traditions Vortek Long Range in .50 cal (October muzzleloader season)

In the past, I've also hunted with my 1946 BSA Enfield No5MK1 Carbine and took a doe with it

Handgun:
Scoped 7.5" Super Blackhawk (as primary gun instead of rifle) in .44mag
Redhawk 7.5" in .41mag (sidearm)
Blackhawk 6.5" in .41mag (sidearm)
P90 in .45 Auto (sidearm during October muzzleloader season [can't be a "sporting arm'])

Aqualung

Gator89

Buckeye
Bull Barrel said:
Dan in MI said:
First I am a bowhunter. So much so, that on a hunt in FL I had a Blackhawk 45 Colt on my hip and watched a very nice 8 walk away because he never came within 30 yards. He stayed at 30, but never came closer. I had my recurve up and ready for 20 minutes but he just never came in. When I told my host what happened he looked at me and said "You had a revolver on your hip stupid." DUH! never even occurred to me.

That said, I have gone gun hunting 3 times. Twice with a 41 Blackhawk and once with my 10" T/C 357 Maxi. I LIKE the Maxi. I just may start gun hunting on more regular basis with that. If I go it will be with the Maxi.

What is the limit there on bows?

FL allows a total of 5 deer, bow, muzzleloader, modern gun is the hunter's choice.

Hawk-in-Wi

Buckeye
Colonialgirl said:
My Uncle and Grandfather in PA BOTH used Win 94's in 30-30 for deer hunting; I've got Grandpa's Win 94 Saddle Carbine that was his hunting rifle.

that's pretty cool ! do you shoot it or hunt with it ?

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
Hawk-in-Wi said:
Colonialgirl said:
My Uncle and Grandfather in PA BOTH used Win 94's in 30-30 for deer hunting; I've got Grandpa's Win 94 Saddle Carbine that was his hunting rifle.

that's pretty cool ! do you shoot it or hunt with it ?

I take it shooting at the range every now and then; I haven't ever gone hunting with it or with any rifle.

In looks it reminds me of the old Red Ryder lever action BB guns with the saddle ring on the side.

SteveRuger

Hunter
Out here in Utah we have Mule Deer & Elk. I hunt Mule Deer with my M77PL Liberty in 30-06 I have a 4power Redfield wide angle scope I put on it in 1976 shooting 180 Grain silvertips dead on at 200 yards.
For Elk I shoot a Remington Classic in 300HH with a good 3 x 9 scope (I can't remember what I put on it). Shooting 180 Barnes XTP at 250 yards.

Rumrunner

Hunter
One of the guns I planned I planned to use was my Contender with it's new 12" 375 Winchester barrel. Unfortunately I ran out of Reloader #7 powder after working up a good load. Tried some H-4895 today but velocity was only 1471 with 37.5 grains. This is a slightly compressed load and don't want to go with more powder. The Sierra 200 grain FN bullets have been very accurate with all loads.
I got 2 boxes of the Hornady Handgun Hunter 200 grainers. Accuracy in my 5" Super Redhawk and my 12" Encore is excellent so I will have both of them with me this Friday. For anything over 100 yards I will have my 20 gauge Encore.

My deer season is over, and I didn't fill my tag, but...

When I was younger and climbed in and out of the rain forest and otherwise wet and soggy woods of the Coast Range, I discovered really short barrels were the ticket. Back then, a 20" barrel was considered short. Now that 18" and even 16" barrels are offered by all the manufacturers, most of my rifles longer than 20" have moved to the back of the safe during deer season.

I've been carrying a Ruger M-77 UL .30-06 with a 20" barrel for years. The last two years, I've been carrying my .308 M-77 Gunsite Scout with a 16" barrel. Ultra handy.

I made a couple changes. I eliminated the scout-scope base, and I use a conventionally mounted scope. I also did away with the muzzle brake. I didn't want 2" of muzzle contraption on my 16" barrel.

Latest posts