Gun Deer season , what are you using ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hawk-in-Wi

Buckeye
after reading some of the other posts on deer season, just thought I would throw this question out there
what gun are you using for your gun deer season and why (if you wish to say )

Myself this will be the first season I've hunted in several years , reason being that my knees are shot and doing alot of walking has been pretty much a no go, but my Daughter asked me to take her hunting for the first time this year (early this summer), so I told her if she wanted to give it a honest try then I would be more than willing see what I could do to help , I posted a topic about the rifle I got for her here

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=289927

any ways, then it was finding a place to go that my knees could handle , so I talked to a few of my neighbors and one of them is letting us hunt a field that's border by woods on 3 sides , so having a place to go then it was what gun to take, field is about 450 yards long and 300 wide , so my rifles to choose from where , T/C Encores in 243, 30 t/c, 280, 7mm mag or 405win.

bolt guns where Ruger 77V in 280, Ruger 77/44, Winchester model 70 in 270, CZ 527 in 6.5Grendel, ,

Lever guns could be Marlin 336 in 30-30 or Marlin 94's in 357mag, 41 mag or 44 mag , 32-20 and or a Rossi in 45 Colt
back up hand gun will probably be my S&W 686 but may go with one of my Ruger Blackhawks

so after giving it a lot of thought decided to go with my oldest gal , my Ruger 77v in 280 , she's been in the back of the safe for years without seeing any action, got her out today , wiped her down ran a patch though her and took her out to the bench , she has the same scope on her that I got when she was first purchased back in the early 80's a Tasco 3x9x40 wide view World Class , first shot went about 2" high and 1"right next 2 touched each other about 1" high & 1"right and that was with my reloads from 20+ years ago Hornady 154 spire point on top of 54.5 gr of 4350 , I think that last time I used that gun my Dad was still alive , so 26 years ago give or take , I think it's time to let her talk again
my Daughter gets first shot if we see any thing , so we'll see what happens

smoke-eater

Blackhawk
I had knee replacement in late August, so I'll just be hunting local. Muzzleloader season begins here on Nov. 30, and I'll be carrying a used T/C .50 cal. flintlock I bought in the summer.
For 6-day shotgun season, my usual 12 ga. Winchester 1300 pump w/rifled barrel.
No centerfire rifle deer hunting in NJ.

contender

Ruger Guru
I handgun hunt deer. Mostly my T/C Contender. But I do have a few revolvers that may get used.

ndcowboy

Blackhawk
I carried both a Winchester 1886 45-70 and a Browning Hells Canyon 6.5 this season. Ended up shooting my buck with the Browning because that's the one in my hand yesterday morning. Either would have worked at the range I got him at.

tom black

Blackhawk
I’m sitting beneath my old rock house on Middle Knob as I write this, waiting on shooting light. There’s a cold drizzle falling but I don’t mind. I have my pre 64 Model 70 in 375 H&H across my lap, it’s our first deer hunt together. I’m hoping I don’t need a bigger gunne. You guys stay safe and have a fantastic season.
Tom Black

My Marlin 336C that I bought new in either ‘79 or ‘80 in .35 Remington. I hope to find a Contender barrel in the same caliber and be proficient with it for next year’s deer season.

Mark in WV

Bearcat
If I go it will be a Remington Ti in .260. Might have to work depending on what goes on next week.

375supermag

Single-Sixer
Hi...
I will be using my synthetic stocked Savage 7mmMag.
Hunting a narrow long field surrounded by woods and a swamp at one end.
Shots can be a bit on the long side at times.
North of I80 in north central Pennsylvania...on top of a mountain in Elk County.
Weather can vary from as high as 60°F to subzero and conditions can vary from sunshine to heavy snow and blizzard conditions.
At my advancing age(66) and condition(3 bouts with cancer with all the surgeries, radiation and chemo treatments) we will see how much I can endure. Strength and stamina are severely compromised, so probably won't go further than 1/2 mile or so into the mountain.
My son will be there to help with any deer I happen to shoot.

powder smoke

Hawkeye
I like my Winchester carbine in 45 lc. Got some nice loads for it fun gun to shoot!
Very light and quick! ps

Dan in MI

Staff member
First I am a bowhunter. So much so, that on a hunt in FL I had a Blackhawk 45 Colt on my hip and watched a very nice 8 walk away because he never came within 30 yards. He stayed at 30, but never came closer. I had my recurve up and ready for 20 minutes but he just never came in. When I told my host what happened he looked at me and said "You had a revolver on your hip stupid." DUH! never even occurred to me.

That said, I have gone gun hunting 3 times. Twice with a 41 Blackhawk and once with my 10" T/C 357 Maxi. I LIKE the Maxi. I just may start gun hunting on more regular basis with that. If I go it will be with the Maxi.

Pal Val

Buckeye
My Ruger 77 in 7mm-08 is zeroed and dead-on ready. Because part of my hunting territory is shotgun-only, I also have ready my TC Encore with a 12ga rifled slug barrel.

Now, if the dang temperature drops, the hunt should be good. I was walking the woods last week wearing only a t-shirt. Deer go nocturnal in these temperatures. Too hot!

Bull Barrel

Hunter
Dan in MI said:
First I am a bowhunter. So much so, that on a hunt in FL I had a Blackhawk 45 Colt on my hip and watched a very nice 8 walk away because he never came within 30 yards. He stayed at 30, but never came closer. I had my recurve up and ready for 20 minutes but he just never came in. When I told my host what happened he looked at me and said "You had a revolver on your hip stupid." DUH! never even occurred to me.

That said, I have gone gun hunting 3 times. Twice with a 41 Blackhawk and once with my 10" T/C 357 Maxi. I LIKE the Maxi. I just may start gun hunting on more regular basis with that. If I go it will be with the Maxi.

What is the limit there on bows?

That makes me think of this:
Why is it when you use a bow you are bowhunting but when you use a gun you aren't gunhunting?

turd

Blackhawk
S&W .41Mag w/8 3/8s barrel and Leupold 2X scope is primary, but since I hunt on open prairie farmland I will also have my .25-06 to hand. :mrgreen:

I have a good spot along an old RR grade to sit, but if nothing comes close enough the rifle will come in handy.

Dan in MI

Staff member
Bull Barrel said:
What is the limit there on bows?

That makes me think of this:
Why is it when you use a bow you are bowhunting but when you use a gun you aren't gunhunting?

The handgun was there for bears, but deer were any weapon. Point being bowhunting is so ingrained in me I never even thought about the gun.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
Today it was the TC 6.5 C with a Yankee Hill Resonator. Filled my "any deer" tag with an ancient 10 pointer so probably not going to hunt again until the antlerless season. On my own land, I can carry a .223 to shoot coyotes while mentoring Granddaughter.

Latest posts