Guess I'm a nitpicker

Help Support Ruger Forum:

azleite

Single-Sixer
Hi Folk's, here's the story. I'll try not to be too windy. Awhile back I traded my .357 BH for a GP100, which was a mistake-never could find the love. So, I got a hankerin' for another BH-stainless this time says me. Yeah right, my LGS says it's special order & they don't deal with that outlet. Hey....gunshow in Ft. Worth (weekend before last) not one single NM BH in the whole show. Spotted a couple of FT's, old & new w/silly prices (I would eat those words before the day was out).On the way home I stopped at a Ft. Worth gun store to kill some time. Most of the Folk's who work there are nice & helpful, but this shop is known for being pricey. I've seen worse. Out of curiosity I inquired about the stainless BH. Of course they could get it-$725.00 OTD.I managed to wrangle them down to $685 OTD. Rode the scooter up & got it Saturday kinda rushed w/other obligations to take care of. Later with some time to finally sit down & examine my new prize some things came to light. I think Ruger buffs these guns "after" their assembled. The buffing went every direction but one. The barrel looked rippled with buffing over the top half of the crown. Buff burn on the topstrap. Grips looked undersized to the grip frame with the right side being crooked. I have a single seven that looks custom shop compared to this revolver. Called Ruger yesterday & the nice gal set me up to send it in-mailed it today. Asked if it's possible for a estimate on a 9mm cylinder. I've been buying and collecting Rugers for over 27 years-first one to go back. Guess I'm nitpicky, but as much as I paid I feel justified-Dave

Mus408

Hunter
No...you should be nitpicky when paying good money for a new Ruger!
A shame that even easy to see visual flaws leave the hand of the "skilled" assembler and the QC person
without a thought.
They are getting used to letting the customer send it back just to hit a production number!

dingode

Single-Sixer
The finish on my stainless GP100 is the same as you describe when it come to swirls and no straight lines. Luckily there aren't any over/under buffed areas.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Dave, one thing sure doesn't seem to have changed over the years, and that's that Ruger revolvers, while they are built like tanks, are definitely not works of art. I'm not excusing Ruger for this, but I suppose their revolvers would cost quite a bit more if they started doing a lot of hand finishing on them.

I have a 1957 flatgate Single-Six that's in minty condition. It's a really nice gun, but if you look up close, it's not finished nearly as nice as Smiths and Colts were back then.

I also have an early 70's Security-Six. It too is an excellent shooter, but again, compared side by side with a S&W Model 19 from the same era, it's kinda rough. On the other hand, the Ruger Security-Sixes go for about $400-450 , and are made to shoot a steady diet of .357's, while the Model 19's are $700 and up, and are mostly for shooting .38 specials.

Keep us posted on what Ruger does for you. Sorry to hear you got a bad one.

Armybrat

Buckeye
Well gents, there was a reason Colts & S&W (back in the day) cost about 50% more than a Ruger - and it wasn't better accuracy. :wink:

hittman

Staff member
In a perfect would we'd never have to talk about the failings of fit, finish and function.

However, it never ceases to amaze me how so many folks can plunk down $500 to $1000 and (evidently) never look at their purchase until it's home. :?

ditto1958 said:
Dave, one thing sure doesn't seem to have changed over the years, and that's that Ruger revolvers, while they are built like tanks, are definitely not works of art. I'm not excusing Ruger for this, but I suppose their revolvers would cost quite a bit more if they started doing a lot of hand finishing on them.

I have a 1957 flatgate Single-Six that's in minty condition. It's a really nice gun, but if you look up close, it's not finished nearly as nice as Smiths and Colts were back then.

I also have an early 70's Security-Six. It too is an excellent shooter, but again, compared side by side with a S&W Model 19 from the same era, it's kinda rough. On the other hand, the Ruger Security-Sixes go for about $400-450 , and are made to shoot a steady diet of .357's, while the Model 19's are $700 and up, and are mostly for shooting .38 specials.

Keep us posted on what Ruger does for you. Sorry to hear you got a bad one.

I don't think he got a bad one. He bought a Ruger but he wanted a Smith finish. I think he bought the wrong gun. Rugers haven't been show guns in several years. They are strong guns that will perform for years. I think he is being honest. He is a nitpicker. And he picked it up himself. I don't get it.

Get Wood

Single-Sixer
The Buffing On My New Ruger Hunter 44Mag.Is The Same Way. RUFF..... But Functions GREAT With A GREAT Trigger....

Mus408

Hunter
Even the new mighty Smiths aren't that great these days from what I have seen.

azleite

Single-Sixer
Thank's for all the replies Folk's. I figured I'd catch some flak about my post-that's ok. As far as not expecting too much just because it's a Ruger? I disagree, like I said-my single seven looks fantastic in comparison. I don't expect perfection, but Jeez-take some pride in the product you're selling. And just shy of $700.00 isn't chump change. As far as me not examining it more closely, ah ya got me there. I made it to the gun store early & the place was packed + it's not lit up like an airport in there. I got it home under a good light & wasn't happy with it. I'll let you all know how it turns out-Dave

CraigC

Hawkeye
The finish on stainless Rugers has always left a lot to be desired. Same for S&W's, polished in a tumbler. They're not FA's. If you got one that was polished all in one direction consider yourself very lucky.

Next time you're looking for a new gun, check Davidson's for local pricing. You can have a 6½" delivered to DFW Shooting Sports for $654.

Dave, not so much being "nitpicker" but being observant, one can ALWAYS find "something wrong, with ANY gun ever made, let ME look at it and I"ll find out the vast majority of the time.....
manufacturing is how it will always be, people making things for other people.......human nature, days of the week, attitudes, how one feels on any given day or time......
today the is never time to make it right , the FIRST time, but always time to remedy, warranty, redo, whatever later on......there is no longer the "testing" to any LONG duration, see how things hold up, let alone just how accurate any given firearm is.....gee I can see machine marks, milling, marks,file ( fitting) marks improper polishing on about every 'old model' Ive ever worked on, owned, bought or "thought about buying.. if it looks TOO good , TOO perfect, then my bet it was redone.........but even then for the MOST part, not many "reblues" are perfect, or it would cost a bundle to do.......but I know quite few guys in the business who can make it BETTER than new........
as noted above, the "other" guys used to be more, were better finish, and Ruger was a working mans gun, buikt for service,use,,,,,,more Ruger owners, users, out there, than "collectors.............
when we had the shop we checked EVERY gun that came it, before they got put out in the display case, and we touched up, adjusted as need, and we serviced any and all 'other ' makes and models, our guys , me included ,spent time at various factories back in the mid 70's to learn to service and do warranty work on guns,,,,,,,been there , done that...........
Yes, would be nice to see, and KNOW just how accurate, or how it works, (fires ,feeds and functions) just holding it on the showroom floor..........later will tell, at the range, BEFORE you use it for hunting, target competition, or heaven forbid, self defense, home or carry............. 8) :roll: :wink:

hittman said:
. . . it never ceases to amaze me how so many folks can plunk down $500 to $1000 and (evidently) never look at their purchase until it's home. :?

Yep. And I've been guilty of it myself a couple of times, fortunately not at the $1000 level.

:roll: :oops: :roll:

waterboy452

Bearcat
I'd say I'm not really a nit picker, but I do expect at least an effort from the factory to fit and finish a new gun. No matter the maker. My most recent Ruger purchase was a Flattop SS Bisley .44 special. It had various fit and finish problems. I called Ruger CS, explained the situation, and sent it back. It came back 3 weeks later, with a new cylinder with properly and consistently sized throats, new loading gate, much better polishing on the whole gun, and they even fit me a set of black laminate grips at no charge for my trouble. I'd say that was definitely great customer service. Is it perfect now? No, of course not. However, it is much better than before, and should have been as nice before it shipped from the factory to start with. I "thought" I had looked it over really well before I bought it, but I had not. Lighting isn't great in my LGS either, and all of the mentioned shortcomings were observed after the fact. I once bought NIB from the same store a Weatherby Vanguard Deluxe .30-06. Beautiful rifle. Really high grade flamed walnut stock. What I didn't see in my casual looking over at the store was a deep crack in the forend tip of the stock. I put this rifle on layaway for a few months until I finished paying it off. It possibly happened while in storage at the store. I didn't look at it again when I went to pick it up. Anyhow, I found the cracked stock once I got it home. Weatherby replaced the stock, but it wasn't nearly as nice as the original one was. It can and does happen to all manufacturers.

toroflow

Single-Sixer
That's why I'll only buy USED Rugers from about 2005 and back. Quality has gone downhill since 2005 IMHO. Of course, I did have to buy a NEW Blackhawk 480, but that's an exception. I offer that next time you're looking for something, AVOID your LGS and hit up Gunbroker. I have found every single Ruger I wanted on GB and with patience, at an affordable price.

lolbell

Single-Sixer
I guess I'm not a nitpicker at all. All of my Rugers are "tools". I've never noticed the tooling marks, buffing marks or grip fitment. Now if the grips were WAY off I'd not like that. After I've toted them on a tractor, building fences, hoed in the garden, or what ever they get scuffed up after time. I keep'em clean and lubed. They are more accurate than I and I don't think I have one that will wear out before me or my sons, probably my grandsons. All of this at avery affordable price too. I would be afraid to tote a "near perfect" for fear of scratching it up. Rugers in all of their ugliness shut me better than all others.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
lolbell, you do have a point. I regularly take my Security-Six to the range. It's a gun that shows some honest wear, so I'm not at all afraid to take it out an shoot it a lot.

I always hear folks talk about how much they payed and for that amount the gun should meet or exceed THEIR expectations...but I seldom hear folks who understand that what they pay is not relevant to what Ruger SOLD the gun for....probably on average about 25-30% less than purchase price...remember there is distributor m/u and shipping and dealer m/u.....Ruger's meet my expectations because I understand the above and don't expect diamonds at cubic zirconia wholesale pricing...only custom guns show the level of fit and finish that some folks on this forum expect from Ruger for a fraction of the price....

lolbell

Single-Sixer
IF Ruger hired a bunch of tradesmen and started hand fitting and hand polishing ect the price would go up %500. Then the same naysayers would be on here telling us how Ruger has fallen off of their game. They USED to build an affordable gun that was built like a tank. You just can't please everybody all of the time, and these forums give them a place to vent with fellow gun enthusiasts.

I like Rugers just the way they are. Although sometimes I wish I had one that I thought needed to go back to Ruger cause when I got it back it would pretty much be a custom gun.

azleite

Single-Sixer
I'm not savvy on how to delete posts, if a moderator should see this I would appreciate it if they would delete this entire topic. I've learned my lesson & I do realize I opened myself up to all this.My fault-never again.